View Poll Results: Do you own more than one battery for your Treo 650?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 53.54%
  • No

46 46.46%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    A lot of us asked for the feature, but how many of us actually own an extra Treo 650 battery?
    I do.
    Me too. I bought a 2200mah and I still have the original one
    My "spare" is the original battery. My main battery is now the Lion 2200 mAh. Great longevity!!

Cheers, Perry.
    These is three yes's -- one of us didn't vote in the survey!
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    I didn't ask for it. Didn't care about it. But figured when I upgraded to my 650 I might as well get one.

I've used it. I love it. Can use the treo as much as I want to through international travel, and not worry about running out of juice.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    yep
    I just bought the 2200 Seidio including innocharger since my battery drains much faster after I upgraded to 1.12 sprint update. I figured better have a back up just incase.
    I have only the one that came with the Treo 650 atm, but I would like to get the Seidio or Mugen high capacity battery.
    I wasn't planning on getting an extra battery, but I bought a packet of stuff (Charger, BT headset...) from a guy in the Marketplace and the battery was included. So happy now! Such an easy and care-free way to juice up when on the road. Or even at home when you've forgotten to charge and you're heading out for the evening... good to go!
    -mbd26
    Yeah i got an extra one when my phone was ran over.. Hey the battery still works..
    I didn't buy one... yet, but I really like the idea of being able to pick one up if I need it.
    Yes,I have several.I bought a spare OEM one on eBay from Dan's,then after reading about the Mugen 2200 mAh I bought that one-which brought the count to three batteries,until I bought a second Treo last month to use while I waited for a repair/warranty replacement .So now I have three OEM batteries and the Mugen.I can go for days,if needed,without worrying about running low.

I primarily use the mugen battery as it gets me through a greater part of the day than the OEM batteries.
    Wow, there's a 2200mAh battery? Sweet! Didn't know that.

How many mAh is the original? A cursory search (and examining the battery itself) doesn't seem to reveal the value.

As for the survey, I have an extra palm battery, but it is largely unused since I have several cradles here and there.

-C
    I believe the standard battery is 1800mAH.
    There's whole bunch of capacities you can buy online... The standard is 1800mAh, but you can get as low as 1400mAh on ebay while Seidio sells a 2200mAh and factorydirectcellular sells a 2000mAh...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    There's whole bunch of capacities you can buy online... The standard is 1800mAh, but you can get as low as 1400mAh on ebay while Seidio sells a 2200mAh and factorydirectcellular sells a 2000mAh...
    Yes there are a bunch of capacities available online. I personally believe some of them being sold are practically scams.

In particular, I was browsing Eforcity's Ebay store (http://stores.ebay.com/Eforcity) and noticed several batteries for sale. There was a 1400 mAh battery, an OEM battery, and then an apparent "extended" battery.

Figuring the 1400 mAh was a non-OEM replacement for the standard battery I went right to the item listed as "FOR PALM SMARTPHONE TREO 650 EXTENDED BATTERY - 1700mAh." I compared its description to the only specs I could find in my Treo's manual (Sprint--latest manual) and indeed it seemed to offer more talk time ("5-6 hours of talk time" Vs. the "4.5 hours" listed in my Treo's manual). There is no mention of my Treo's battery's actual mAh in my manual--nor anywhere on the battery itself (not even so much as an "1800" listed anywhere).

So I ordered this "extended battery," among several other items (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5836404148). As luck would have it I then stumbled across an extended battery thread here on TC and was shocked to discover the standard battery is 1800 mAh.

Now there are two ways of looking at this: on one hand, the seller indicates 1700 mAh in the product's title. On the other hand, I believe calling a battery that has less capacity than the standard OEM battery an "extended battery" blatant misrepresentation. And when the item's description also claims the battery has more talk-time than the Treo's standard battery I feel it is definitely misrepresentation. Finally, there was no mention of mAh on the seller's standard OEM Treo batteries for sale (I wonder why?).

So I filed a complaint with Ebay. I received a typical canned response with my name thrown in a few times to make it sound personal. Unfortunately, they copy-and-pasted a section into their response indicating MY account was under suspension. I filed another complaint and was told that the rep who "stated" my account was suspended was mistaken.

Regardless, the seller is still advertising "extended" Treo batteries that have less capacity than the battery that ships with the Treo. The only change I notice, if any, is that the new description (I assume for new auctions) reads "FOR PALM SMARTPHONE TREO 650 1700mAh EXTENDED BATTERY" (he moved the 1700mAh in front of "EXTENDED BATTERY).

Further, the seller's response was pretty much sarcastic and he denied any misrepresentation on his part. A reply back to him, CC'd to my CC company as well as to buySAFE.com (I paid through them) triggered a much different response: a refund (including shipping).

I wonder if here on TC there should be a sticky--and maybe it already exists--warning people about these, IMO, sub-par batteries. Just a thought.

But to answer the survey, no, I only have one. Technically two, but that 1700 mAh battery is going back. I will however, be buying a true extended battery.

Buyer beware.

--
    Mike
    Wow Tinman!, thanks for the story and words of caution. Good stuff to know for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertone
    A lot of us asked for the feature, but how many of us actually own an extra Treo 650 battery?
    We may have asked for the feature but not necessarily to own more than one battery at a time. Some users simply wanted the ability to replace the battery when it got old.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrundle
    We may have asked for the feature but not necessarily to own more than one battery at a time. Some users simply wanted the ability to replace the battery when it got old.
    My thoughts exactly. Although I'm inclined to get an extra one for travel -- those wall and car chargers are useless sometimes.
    Pilot Pro > 2Mb+IrDA upgrade > Clie T615C > Treo 650
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast