Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. MikeM's Avatar
    Posts
    207 Posts
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
       #1  
    I am suffering from information overload and can't find the answers to some general questions.. Hoping for help..

    I am leaning toward Tom Tom, for no real accertainable reason other then it seems to be well accepted..

    The TT website notes that the software is preloaded with "Millions of points of interest: Parking, gas stations, hotels, restaurants etc. with a possibility for an automatic alert option as you approach ", yet it further states on the PLUS Services page, that you must "Subscribe to and download Points of Interest". Is the "out of the box" database anemic or sufficient? And what is meant by "a possibility for an automatic alert"?

    Given the reslution of the T650, I am hoping the screen shots on the TT site as well as those in the Treo Store are true to fact.. How good is the screen on the T650 relative to GPS navigation...?

    The write ups on the TT state that you can "Plan routes to multiple destinations & add stopping points". Here is what I want to do... Suppose I have a route I drive often...it is from point A to point D, with stops at points B & C. A route from point A to point B, or B to C can be an independant route as well as included in the overall route. I'd like to be able to store the routes independantly, yet be able to link the together at will for a master route. (praying that makes sense, but flame suit is available for immediate donning..)

    Once again, the TT site says "Contact Navigation: Navigate directly from your PDA address book integrating TomTom software into the PDA menu " but addy book integration is also listed on the Plus Services package.. Is it included out of the box or not?

    Anything else that one would deem as "must know" with regards to Tom Tom??
    Technology Rules!
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Centro
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM
    The TT website notes that the software is preloaded with "Millions of points of interest: Parking, gas stations, hotels, restaurants etc. with a possibility for an automatic alert option as you approach ", yet it further states on the PLUS Services page, that you must "Subscribe to and download Points of Interest". Is the "out of the box" database anemic or sufficient? And what is meant by "a possibility for an automatic alert"?

    Given the reslution of the T650, I am hoping the screen shots on the TT site as well as those in the Treo Store are true to fact.. How good is the screen on the T650 relative to GPS navigation...?

    The write ups on the TT state that you can "Plan routes to multiple destinations & add stopping points". Here is what I want to do... Suppose I have a route I drive often...it is from point A to point D, with stops at points B & C. A route from point A to point B, or B to C can be an independant route as well as included in the overall route. I'd like to be able to store the routes independantly, yet be able to link the together at will for a master route. (praying that makes sense, but flame suit is available for immediate donning..)

    Once again, the TT site says "Contact Navigation: Navigate directly from your PDA address book integrating TomTom software into the PDA menu " but addy book integration is also listed on the Plus Services package.. Is it included out of the box or not?

    Anything else that one would deem as "must know" with regards to Tom Tom??
    You should really do a search on Tomtom and read the old posts. It will give you a good feel for the difficulties and significant benefits of Navigator 5.

    The included POI database is essentially complete although the way they are categorized makes them somewhat difficult to locate. The plus options currently relate only to safety cameras in Europe and HotSpot locations. Never heard of automatic alerts but I have used their traffic service. It's just OK.

    The 3D map makes TTNav5 very usable on the Treo screen.

    You can store the separate "Itineraries" and when one completes, load the next one which will start after loading. I don't think you can combine them into one mega itinerary.

    Contacts Navigation works ok but it's not perfect. No subscription is needed.

    Most people, even those that have had difficulty with it, seem to prefer TTNav5 to the alternatives.
  3. MikeM's Avatar
    Posts
    207 Posts
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
       #3  
    All good news with the exception of the itineraries... How involved is it to load the next itineraries? I often cruise up to the mountains to enjoy some brisk but safe driving on the mountain roads...so stopping to load an itinerary is going to be cumbersome...

    Is there a TomTom specific forum? If so, I missed it.
    Technology Rules!
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Centro
  4. #4  
    Mike,

    The way I see it, TT doesnt store "routes", it only stores individual Locations.
    Locations can be a POI (Airports, Golf Courses, Taco Bells, Zip Codes, City Centers etc...) that it has the address prestored or a specific GPS Location or you can use menu to pick an exact address (in the form: State, City, Street, Address or intersection)

    In normal Driving you select the "Navigate to" button and then pick a POI or Address..it then builds a route on the fly and takes you there (and can do alternate routes).

    You can also save anything in the "Favorites" category and give it a unique name and have the ability to quick pick it (just a couple touchscreens and you have a route to a Favorite)



    So...You an Keep A, B, C, D, E, F.... in your favorites and in a few touchscreen presses you can be routed from your current location to any of those favorites.

    If you knew you were going to go from A - C - E - F on one trip you could build an "Itinerary" where you just pick Favorite A as the start and hit "Add" C, Add E, ADD F (or anything else you want) and when you are ready to go just start the itinaery and it will just keep going so you never have to touch anything while driving...either way its pretty easy. Its kind of fun when you are driving around and just turn on TT and hit Menu - Navigate to - Home and it builds you a route from wherever you are back home etc...

    Too bad TT doesnt have a trial version
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by davisdog
    The way I see it, TT doesnt store "routes", it only stores individual Locations.
    Not quite. What davisdog says is mostly correct but if you build an itinerary from favorites or POIs you can save it to use or modify later . This is the on line user manual & itineraries are discussed just before the Plus features section. Loading a saved itinerary of destinations and waypoints (drive by's) is just about as easy as starting new navigation. I use itineraries to pre-plan a trip using 4 to 5 location segments with break points at or near logical stopping locations. I then just load the next segment and say yes to begin navigation on the next segment when I'm ready to continue.
    Last edited by jrfaris; 12/07/2005 at 09:44 PM.
  6. #6  
    jrfaris....
    I look at an itinerary as just a bunch of individual locations that are stored in a sequence (and can be saved of course)

    anyway, based on what MikeM is saying he wants, I think TT meets the requirement

    ps..It took me about 30 seconds to build a route from my house to jrfaris (I just noticed he is 20 miles from me..(saratoga -> menlopark))
  7. #7  
    davisdog,
    I agree. I use itineraries particularly with POIs to plan a trip of multiple stops at various locations (say stores for xmas shopping). That way I don't have to save Costco or Ikea as favorites, but I can still do the more complex POI lookup in advance and just include them on an itinerary. While it is not perfect, it works ok for me.
  8. MikeM's Avatar
    Posts
    207 Posts
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    davisdog,
    I agree. I use itineraries particularly with POIs to plan a trip of multiple stops at various locations (say stores for xmas shopping). That way I don't have to save Costco or Ikea as favorites, but I can still do the more complex POI lookup in advance and just include them on an itinerary. While it is not perfect, it works ok for me.
    Interesting... so lets say you need to go from home to Costco, Costco to Ikea, Ikea to Burger King, BK to Macys and then Macys to home. This is how you have the route saved.

    First, is this one large route with stop-overs? If yes, what happens when you reach a stop-over?

    Or, is this five small routes that are linked together?

    Assume you usually follow the suggested route but it's a beautiful day and you want to go "the long way" from Ikea to Burger King. Can you have saved two different routes that take you from Ikea to BK? And, then insert the alternate Ikea to BK route?
    Technology Rules!
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Centro

Posting Permissions