Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1.    #1  
    I have only used my jack for my single earpiece headset 2-3 times and it worked fine. I recently tried a 2.5 mm stereo headset only to find that only one earpiece provides sound. Thinking it might be the headset, I tried another one with the same results. I am using PocketTunes Deluxe and tried both shoutcast and mp3 files. Does this mean my jack is broken or is there something I have overlooked in the settings.
    Matt Ridge
    Upward Technologies
    www.upwardtechnologies.com
  2. #2  
    Sounds like a bad jack :-(
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  3. holmes4's Avatar
    Posts
    982 Posts
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    #3  
    Definitely a bad jack - or perhaps bad plug. I clearly get stereo out of mine.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mridge
    I have only used my jack for my single earpiece headset 2-3 times and it worked fine. I recently tried a 2.5 mm stereo headset only to find that only one earpiece provides sound. Thinking it might be the headset, I tried another one with the same results. I am using PocketTunes Deluxe and tried both shoutcast and mp3 files. Does this mean my jack is broken or is there something I have overlooked in the settings.
    No - it means that the impedance of your headphones is not enough to send the Treo into stereo mode. None of the standard 2.5mm stereo headphones that you get from the electronics superstore will work so don't waste your time - I learned the hard way.

    Try the Palm hybrid stereo headphones or the Seidio 2 way hybrids - the other option is to get the 2.5mm to 3.5mm stereo jack adapter - then you can use whatever headphones you want - just no microphone. That is what I did and it works great since I just wanted to listen to music and I use my BT headset for calls. The adapter is about $6 online - no, your Treo is probably NOT broken...just goofy...
  5.    #5  
    I also tried a 2.5 mm to 3.5 mm adapter to use with my existing headphones, but I still only got sound out of one side. Is there an impedance value I should look for when shopping for new headphones?
    Matt Ridge
    Upward Technologies
    www.upwardtechnologies.com
  6. #6  
    Before doing anything drastic, try playing with the balance slider in PocketTunes. On some songs, and some version of PTunes, I had to slide the balance all the way Left or Right to actually get stereo. Go figure. Does it occur in RealPlayer or other apps as well?
    <br>
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by mridge
    I also tried a 2.5 mm to 3.5 mm adapter to use with my existing headphones, but I still only got sound out of one side. Is there an impedance value I should look for when shopping for new headphones?
    You need to get the adapter from Palm. I tried the 2.5mm to 3.5mm from Radio Shack and it did not work. It also did not fit right. For whatever reason Palm made this a real pain. I must have tried 6-8 headphones and a couple adapters - it was not until I got the Palm adapter that everything worked correctly. Here is the link to the adapter you need.

    http://store.treocentral.com/content.../73-75--13.htm

    Get that - if it does not work then return it and then get your Treo fixed - I bet this does it though...
  8. #8  
    You need to get the adapter from Palm.
    Sorry, but that adapter will eventually ruin your jack. It puts too much sideways torque on the jack. The safest one is from Seidio:

    Seidio adapter
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost
    Sorry, but that adapter will eventually ruin your jack. It puts too much sideways torque on the jack. The safest one is from Seidio:

    Seidio adapter
    Man, I would love to get one of those, but really don't want to pay $5 S&H for something that only costs $6.

    A while ago I ordered the P6 case (love it) from the TreoCentral store and about 10 minutes later realized that I should have added the stereo adaptor. I check the status of the order (which had not been processed yet) and quickly called up the TreoCentral store to try to get them to add the adaptor so that I could save on the shipping. Was told "Too Late" (yup, not even a "sorry, too late"). The product didn't even progress in the shipping status for at least an hour or two later. Although they only lost an additional $6 sale, they probalby lost me as a customer to the store forever now due to their terse attitude when I called in my simple request. (OK, I feel better now )
    Bryan Nystrom
    Natara Software, Inc.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by JunkieBoot
    You need to get the adapter from Palm. I tried the 2.5mm to 3.5mm from Radio Shack and it did not work. It also did not fit right. For whatever reason Palm made this a real pain. I must have tried 6-8 headphones and a couple adapters - it was not until I got the Palm adapter that everything worked correctly. Here is the link to the adapter you need.

    http://store.treocentral.com/content.../73-75--13.htm

    Get that - if it does not work then return it and then get your Treo fixed - I bet this does it though...
    The Radio Shack adapter will work if you trim the plastic off the adapter to allow it to seat correctly into the receptacle. It sticks out quite a bit though, and presents pretty mean tourque possibilities on the jack. I have the Palm adapter and have not found it to be as "dangerous" as the Radio Shack one. I am pretty careful with my Treo though, and I would agree that the Seido one looks like the safest bet... if you are willing to pay the shipping.

    Of course, you could also get stereo earphones/earbuds designed for the treo for listening to music...
  11. #11  
    What about this Seidio one:

    http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...WPROD&ProdID=7


    specifically the model with just a 3.5mm jack on the other end (for hooking up any headphone):

    "2-IN-1 ADAPTOR, STANDARD"
    "2-IN-1 ADAPTOR, RETRACTABLE"

    This one looks nice because it has the same right angle adapter as the other Seidio one mentioned in this thread and it has a microphone with call answer / call end button, volume control AND jack so you can use any headphones.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    What about this Seidio one:

    http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...WPROD&ProdID=7


    specifically the model with just a 3.5mm jack on the other end (for hooking up any headphone):

    "2-IN-1 ADAPTOR, STANDARD"
    "2-IN-1 ADAPTOR, RETRACTABLE"

    This one looks nice because it has the same right angle adapter as the other Seidio one mentioned in this thread and it has a microphone with call answer / call end button, volume control AND jack so you can use any headphones.
    Yes they work fine. I don't recommend the retractable one as the stupid retractable mechanism is a piece of junk. Mine won't stay open. Save your money and get the standard one.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by mridge
    I have only used my jack for my single earpiece headset 2-3 times and it worked fine. I recently tried a 2.5 mm stereo headset only to find that only one earpiece provides sound. Thinking it might be the headset, I tried another one with the same results. I am using PocketTunes Deluxe and tried both shoutcast and mp3 files. Does this mean my jack is broken or is there something I have overlooked in the settings.
    Sometimes the jack needs to be inserted a few times as they can sometimes stick. It's worth a try, but be careful only to do up & down movements, else you will break it!

    I bought a 2.5-3.5 stereo adapter fromMaplin which was too big to seat properly, so I put the adapter in a cordless drill and with a fine file whilst the drill was on filed down the offending bit of plastic. It now fits perfectly.
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Holux GPSlim236 GPS BT receiver & Tom Tom v5.201
  14.    #14  
    I figured I would update this thread with my findings and solution.

    This problem was not caused by a bad jack (or at least it seems to be designed to operate this way). I tried varios headphone and adapter combinations on two different T650s and got the same results. There is definitely something special about the T650's jack that requires a specially designed headphone or adapter to get sound out of both sides. I ended up with the new boxwave 2.5 to 3.5 mm adapter with microphone. IMO, this is the most flexible solution as you can use your favorite 3.5 stereo headphones and still talk on the phone without holding the phone to your head. I would prefer a non-retractable cord to eliminate some of the bulk and weight, but that is my only complaint.

    Thanks to all who replied. I hope this saves others some time and trouble.
    Matt Ridge
    Upward Technologies
    www.upwardtechnologies.com
  15. iramike's Avatar
    Posts
    506 Posts
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    #15  
    I am seeing the same thing, so i am assuming that the nice jabra headset that I bought isn't going to work and I am going to have to order one from TC, I am going to assume that if its on TC its going to work, everyone seems to say Seidio so I guess that is what I am going to have to do
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by mridge
    I figured I would update this thread with my findings and solution.

    This problem was not caused by a bad jack (or at least it seems to be designed to operate this way). I tried varios headphone and adapter combinations on two different T650s and got the same results. There is definitely something special about the T650's jack that requires a specially designed headphone or adapter to get sound out of both sides. I ended up with the new boxwave 2.5 to 3.5 mm adapter with microphone. IMO, this is the most flexible solution as you can use your favorite 3.5 stereo headphones and still talk on the phone without holding the phone to your head. I would prefer a non-retractable cord to eliminate some of the bulk and weight, but that is my only complaint.

    Thanks to all who replied. I hope this saves others some time and trouble.
    Hey mridge, take a look at this thread. The Insten brand 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter with microphone is not retractable and instead of the 3.5mm being an additional piece of "bulk" haning off the end, it's integrated into the control box with the microphone, volume control and answer / call end button. It also costs ALOT less than the Seidio or Boxwave ones.

    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=102211
  17. #17  
    My 1st Treo 650 would remain in "headset mode" with a Radio Shack 2.5-3.5mm adapter. In other words, unplugging it still cut all sounds coming from the Treo 650, rendering it useless. Luckily, Bell agreed to exchange for a new device at no charge.

    Later, a colleague of mine got the Seido adapter and I tried it; worked fine in stereo with my same headphones. Comparing the Seido adapter to the Radio Shack, I couldn't see a difference between the 2. And I was too afraid to try the Radio Shack 2.5-3.5mm adapter in my new phone.

    So I can't tell if it was a bad phone or a bad adapter, but I no longer have either one.

    My replaced Treo 650 is now used with Seido stereo+mic headset, sans le adpater.
  18. #18  
    Sometimes, the jack may not be pushed-in completely resulting in the problem
    you've mentioned. Check that the jack is flush and seated in the socket before
    doing anything drastic.

    - mvk
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex
    Sometimes, the jack may not be pushed-in completely resulting in the problem
    you've mentioned. Check that the jack is flush and seated in the socket before
    doing anything drastic.

    - mvk
    I don't believe the jack alone is the problem...

    Even with the Seido headset, if I listen to pTunes and then unplug it gently, it takes a few seconds before the Treo realizes it should no longer be in headset mode, and then the sound comes from the little speaker in the back.

    So something is happening inside to cause the sound to come out from the speaker instead; and if it were hardware only, then the speaker sound would be immediate. I believe a driver or something needs to kick in, triggered by the event of unplugging the jack.

    On the other hand, I once had to re-insert the jack and remove-it again, before it would work correctly. So, the headphone jack is the key for sure, and is no doubt very flimsy like the rest of the I/O ports of the Treo (data connector, power connector, SD card slot).

    I suspect my 1st Treo had a bad jack and screwed up drivers/software/something that could not be resolved even with a full reset....
  20. tmt
    tmt is offline
    tmt's Avatar
    Posts
    84 Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by artologik
    I believe a driver or something needs to kick in, triggered by the event of unplugging the jack.
    You are correct. Notice how the wired mono+mic headset connects to the same jack as a stereo headphone.

    There is a hardware recognition followed by a multiconnector sensing step followed by a software notification followed by an app responding and reconfiguring the audio ports.

    You really don't want to know.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions