Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    While driving on vacation today in FL as I was using my TomTom GPS all of a sudden an AOL instant message popped up (turning off the map) from my Daughter who is in School in "China" asking "can you read this message?" sent from her AOL AIM chat program.
    I was going to download one of these programs to contact her this way, but from the threads I've read some like it some don't.

But I was surprised to get the message thru my SMS. I was able to respond back to her also.

But since I don't chat software installed yet. . . does this mean I can only respond to her if "she" sends me a message or could I send her a new SMS message using the Treo's SMS by putting in her AIM screen name XXXXXX35@AIM.com as her message's address only says "chat thread".

It seems to me the only way I can start a new message from my Treo and send it to her AIM account is by buying a software chat program like AIM or other?

I was trying to avoid the software until I'm sure it won't cause conflicts.

BTW the Tomtom map picks your route right up again as soon as you re-enter the program after responding to an SMS message.
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    AOL has support for sending messages via SMS

http://mymobile.aol.com/portal/im/sms.html

Which explains why she was able to SMS you.

As for sending her messages,just don't delete the sms thread in your treo and you can just go 'reply' to her any time.
    You an reply via sms to here "sms email" address. Just save the sms addy from which she sent you the message and you should be able to respond to that contact. This is the same method for example that can be used when you want to send a sms to some one's email etc....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    Thx for both replies . . . That's what I figured. BTW gfunkmagic, I tried to get the address from her AIM message but all it says is "chat thread".

I guess I'll only lose the link back to her if I have to do a hard reset at some point.
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
    well as long as you save the message db you will always have it, even after a hard reset (after you put it back on your treo)
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)