1.    #1  
    I see where Cingular is finally offering the PTT feature. It looks like it is limited (for now?) to two phones.

Curious, is the Treo capable of PTT? If so, ya think Cingular will offer the service to the Treo?
    it is not
    The Orange UK version I believe has this feature, but it is carrier specific & you need special software. They also did it for the Orange UK Treo 600.
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Holux GPSlim236 GPS BT receiver & Tom Tom v5.201
    Mabe in the future via firmware upgrade but not right now...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Seems I read that it will be included on the 700P from Sprint...that would be very cool.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
  6.    #6  
    I was at a technology conference the past few days and bumped into our Cingular rep. I asked her about PTT for the Treo and she said they were working on it. Cingular has recently released two phones w/PTT capability and she said that hopefully by Spring '06 a patch will be released to enable PTT on the Treo.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    I wish sprint would do it. See no technical reason why it couldn't happen.
    Why would cingular want people to use PTT so bad?

I mean I understand offering it to seduce nextel customers etc, but wouldn't cingular lose more cell minutes being used?
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicWill
    Why would cingular want people to use PTT so bad?
    To try an get corporate accounts that rely on PTT. The construction industry is a big user of PTT for one.
  10. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeProcter
    The Orange UK version I believe has this feature, but it is carrier specific & you need special software. They also did it for the Orange UK Treo 600.
    I believe that that system is the one I've heard about that operates over the data connection. Has issues with latency.

Cingular's system is hardware-based. Different animal altogether.
    eh? Cingular's uses GPRS/EDGE (maybe UTMS) to reduce latency, how would it be "hardware" ?
    I think I remember reading that it used GSM for the voice and GPRS to make the connection so it might just be a software solution.
  13. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    eh? Cingular's uses GPRS/EDGE (maybe UTMS) to reduce latency, how would it be "hardware" ?
    Cingular's PTT is hardware-based. The latency is for the PTT-over-data approach used overseas (where they're way ahead of us in the US anyway), so faster data speed doesn't help with the latency issue.
    If you open the Cingular 650's phone application with RsrcEdit, you will find hidden menus and options for PTT that are obviously inactive. It seems as though PTT support was either partially implemented for the future, or development for it was halted after a certain point. I found these PTT entries in the phone app many months ago but didn't think anyone would find it interesting since the carrier has to support it for it to work.

Maybe someone here with a better understanding of the phone app's internal functions can take a ganders at it and see if it offers anything useful to us.