1.    #1  
    I recently upgraded to UM3. I also did a hard reset of my Treo 650 and reinstalled all applications (one by one) to the RAM.

I also have lots of applications previously installed to the SD card. These are mostly games and some utilities. I haven't run any of them yet. I don't want to have to re-install these applications to the SD card (and UM3 doesn't monitor such installs anyway).

It's possible that the applications on the card will create some preferences in the Saved and Unsaved Preferences, or create temporaray files in RAM once I run these card-based applications.

My question: How do I make UM3 keep track of such things? Do I enable the "Record" feature of UM before running the card applications?
    How/when do I stop the "recording"?

Will I have to enable "recording" everytime I run the card applications?

Again, please note that my question is about applications already residing on the SD card.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Well these apps on the SD card, are they untested ones you are not sure you want to keep? If so then you'll want to start a recording when you try them and press any hardware button to stop the recording. If they are programs you use frequently don't worry about monitoring them, you're unlikely to uninstall them anyways. I run 80%+ of my apps from the SD card and Zlauncher does pretty good and moving sub files to the card with them each run.

As far as the preferences, absolutely they can create entries in the preferences files (registrations/settings/etc) I've found most files they create tend to be moved with Zlauncher back to the card (I know not what proggy you use to launch them from the card with). If your doing so manually then you might want to look in to a launcher like Zlauncher as it will help you tremendously with scraps...

HTH
    TS
  3.    #3  
    I am not using zlauncher or any 3rd party launcher. All of my apps on the card are applications I want to keep (games I bought, DA, Flightstatus, Resco Explorer, dbscan, dataviztech etc.). I don't want to record any changes temporarily to be able to undothem.

However, I would like to keep track of files and preferences created by these card applications so that in case I delete the (from the card) in the future, these files and preferences (in RAM) can be removed as well. That is the main selling point for UM, I thought.

So, will UM keep track of such things when I run an application from the card?

I have asked the developer. Let's see what he says ...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    I'm going to guess that it will
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  5.    #5  
    Here's the suggestion from Rob:

Copy the legacy application from the SD card to RAM
    Run the application from RAM for a few days
    Delete the Application only (enable just that checkmark) from the RAM using UM3

This will make sure that items associated with the application will be tracked correctly and completely by UM3.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Here's the suggestion from Rob:

Copy the legacy application from the SD card to RAM
    Run the application from RAM for a few days
    Delete the Application only (enable just that checkmark) from the RAM using UM3

This will make sure that items associated with the application will be tracked correctly and completely by UM3.

That sounds right to me...

I personally never install apps directly to the card anyway b/c I prefer to use a mem manager app like zlauncher or powerrun to launch apps from the card instead. IF you use a mem manager then, you could install the apps you have on the card to ram and initialize the record feature to monitor the install via the sandbox. If you want to keep it, then just exit the sandbox and move the app to the card via the mem manager. I've done that many times with apps I've downloaded to the card via blazer etc...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions