1.    #1  
    Whenever I sychronize with my PC, Norton warns me that it has caught a virus: W32.Sober.X@mm!zip in a file called downloadm.zip. It is possible I opened an infected file on the TREO....I dodn;t think the TREO would get infected. HAs anyone else heard of this? What can I do? Thanks.
    treo isn't infected but there is an email somewhere that has it..
    versamail out or in? even snappermail too...
    did you save a file from an email on your treo?
    shouldn't be one from the card but one on the treo itself..
    otherwords find it and delete it...

if all else fails then -
    after a hotsync finishes, hard reset and restore...
    if you use backup programs they will put the file back so you would have to use hotsync instead for the restore
    Last edited by madcap; 12/05/2005 at 09:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidesq58
    Whenever I sychronize with my PC, Norton warns me that it has caught a virus: W32.Sober.X@mm!zip in a file called downloadm.zip. It is possible I opened an infected file on the TREO....I dodn;t think the TREO would get infected. HAs anyone else heard of this? What can I do? Thanks.
    Sober has nothng to do with a Treo. It's an email attachment worm. IF you are infected, the best thing to do is disconnect your PC from the internet, until you have removed it, as it sends out emails to everyone in your address book infecting everyone else.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  4.    #4  
    I deleted all of the emails in every folder in all versamail accounts. Norton is still finding it when I sychronize.
  5.    #5  
    However, the removal tool found nothing on my PC.
    I deleted all of the emails in every folder in all versamail accounts. Norton is still finding it when I sychronize.
    The infected file is on your PC - probably as an attachment in some message in your email client. Norton should be telling you the location of the file - the NAV client is picking this up as HotSync tries to open the attachment for synchro purposes. Search your PC - the infected file is there...somewhere...
    Is there an email account that only your treo synchronizes?
    if so is there a way to web login and delete it?

Whe Norton finds the virus, select "details' and then the highlight the virus name. In the upper part of the small display screen tt will then give you the exact location path and name of the infected file.
  9.    #9  
    It reports the file name is downloadm.zip located in C:\DOCUME~1\dcohn\LOCALS~1\Temp\ and that is was quarantined. When I look, I do not find the file.
  10.    #10  
    A file search did not locate the file either.
  11.    #11  
    In the CUSTOM setting on the PC Hotsych Manager I changed versamail to "Do Nothing." Now when I sychronize I do not get the virsu message. However, this seems to indicates something wicked is going on with the Treo. I especially think this because I believe I opened a questionable email in the Treo thnking there was no way the Treo could be effected by a PC virus...I am beginning to think that was not a correct assumption. Anyway, I don't really understand the purpose of synchronizing mail with the Hotsych Manager when I get my versamail wirelessly.
    well if stopping syncing did it then...
    did you delete sent items
    and delete trash?

I doubt there is anything "wrong" with the treo....your computer just isn't happy with the alien file on the treo....funny part is that your treo can't even run it.
    I feel like I'm banging my head against a wall...

Your Treo is NOT infected, so will it NOT start acting "wicked."

Sober is a PC worm. The only thing you could do on your Treo, would be to manually forward the email to someone else.

Let me guess, it was either an email from a "friend" saying "Hi, ive a new email address", or it was Paris Hilton, or currently the FBI or CIA saying you've been bad. This is a PC worm. If you open the attachment, it will rummage through your contacts and send them the email as well. Depending on the variant, it'll drone your computer for dDos attacks.

Don't worry about the Treo, worry about your PC.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."