Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    My god,

I can't believe how long I've NOT gotten this question answered, but after a particularly awful day with my 650 I'm resolved to get some answers or chuck this phone into a ravine...please help if you can.

How does one turn the radio off?

One press of the "end/alleged off key" puts the phone to sleep! The manual says press and hold but it just turns the display off. Please help me before I lose my mind. I've already lost all 1500 of my contacts because a call came in during a sync which SOMEHOW deleted all my contacts which I then proceeded to accidently propogate to my computer! yay! everything gone gone gone!

Thank you so very much SIGH
    With the screen on and the keyguard off, just hold the end key down. If you see the keyguard message on the screen, press the button in the center of the 4 way directional pad first.
    Atlas Just Shrugged!
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Thank you for the suggestion, but this is exactly what is NOT working.
    If I "wake" the phone with the end key and then press the center button to clear the keyguard, pressing and holding the end key >again< just puts the phone back to sleep!

I did just get it to work by using the call receive button to wake the phone instead of the end key...I'll experiment and try to get my problem repeatable and understood...thank you and everyone for any insight a'tall.

Kidtreo...for now
    Sounds like you've got some software trapping the press&hold event on the end button, but not doing anything with it. While you work on getting that sorted out, you can use the ##633# (OFF) code from the dial pad to manually turn the phone off. Depending on your particular phone (Sprint, GSM, Verizon) you may need a slight variation on implementing your code. Might be #* or something similar. Do a quick search. =) Also, ##66# is the code for "ON".
    You have some third-party program interfering.. I answered this same question way early this morning, I hope you're not the same person..

Anyway, go into the phone program first, for me that always fixed it. I was able to power up or down the radio within there even when I had trouble with it from my Launcher. I think QLaunch was at fault; it's gone now.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Thank you for the responses...I don't believe I have any conflicting software causing this issue...to sum up again, pressing off/end >immedietly< puts the phone to "sleep" - preventing a longer press & hold which I'm led to believe would also turn off the radio...VERY frustrating. bklech, your suggestion of ##633# worked perfectly. I still can't believe that's my only way to reliably turn off the phones radio though. Ack. How stupid is this?!!? I never thought turning my phone OFF would be such a big freaking deal lol.

Thanks again
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kidtreo
    ...don't believe I have any conflicting software causing this issue...
    gremlins ???

has to either be a software or hardware issue if the off button works for the rest of us. Since you can power down the phone by other means - I guess that isolates it to a software bug/conflict.
    Just asking... did you really lose all 1500 contacts?! Why in the world did you NOT have a backup copy somewhere?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Make CERTAIN you are in the phone app before you press & hold the RED button. If you are not in the phone app, it will put the Palm to sleep.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    my Cing GSM model will cycle the phone from any app (I haven't tested all of the actually) by pressing the red button, ie, I can do it from the SMS compose window, or the SnapperMail compose window or even the date book window that comes up when you create a new appointment....
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    my Cing GSM model will cycle the phone from any app (I haven't tested all of the actually) by pressing the red button, ie, I can do it from the SMS compose window, or the SnapperMail compose window or even the date book window that comes up when you create a new appointment....
    You are correct. I have Sprint and it will do the same. I have never tried it before. I stand corrected.
    This is going to be a REALLY stupid question but here it goes, what the hell do you mean by turn the radio off, your treo has a radio in it?
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    This is going to be a REALLY stupid question but here it goes, what the hell do you mean by turn the radio off, your treo has a radio in it?
    The Treo is a cell phone -- which is a radio. The Treo communicates with cell towers via radiowaves and visa versa. So, when you turn the cell phone portion of the Treo off -- you power down it's radio.

Only stupid question is the unasked one.

Cheers, Perry
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    The radio is the phone/data connection. It means: to turn the actual phone/network connection off. Not stupid. I had to ponder this for a little bit of time when I first heard it too.