1.    #1  
    My 650 met an untimely death a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't in a position to shell out for another one so I ended up with the Motorola E815. While I was bummed about the loss of a very powerful phone, things haven't been as bad as I expected. I thought overs might like a comparison:

Treo Wins:

Larger screen

3rd party apps (more selection and free apps available)

E-mail client - although I didn't use this a whole lot
    Qwerty keyboard

Contact Management - Multiple numbers for one name is a big plus.

PC Software and USB Cable included

E815 Wins:

Bluetooth Headsets - I have a Motorola HS850. Unlike with the Treo, I actually get the handsfree profile. When I open the boom, it connects to the phone automatically. It supports voice commands over bluetooth out of the box. Also unlike the Treo, I had to turn both the headset and handset volume down when using it.

Display - While the screen is smaller, 256k colors is amazing compared to the 64k on the Treo.

Battery Life - Even with moderate surfing and V-Cast usage, the batter life on the E815 smokes the Treo.

EVDO - The speed and display quality on this phone with V-Cast is just great. I hope Palm checked out this phone when developing the 700w. The fact that you get Mobile Web 2.0 and V-Cast at 1/3 the cost of the Treo data plan is unreal.

Camera - I don't use this much, but it's higher quality and has dedicated buttons on inside and outside of the phone.

Call Quality - Both regular and speakerphone calls are light years better. Some people have reported an echo problem with the E815, but I guess I got lucky and got a good handset.

Ring Tones - This is trivial, but the ring tones on the E815 are very cool.

Push:

5-way Navigation

Calendar/Datebook - for power users, this won't be the case. However for simple sync from Outlook to phone, both suited by needs. I bought DataPilot to sync with my phone. It's great for contact and calendar management.

My biggest loss is that I have no way of using my Mapopolis NavCard anymore. I have Streets and Trips on my laptop so the GPS receiver just gets used with a different device. Other than that, though, I'm not missing my Treo nearly as much as I thought I would. While I enjoyed the Treo, I'm not sure that the cost is justified - especially if you have a laptop too. (Let the flames begin.)

Oh, and you better believe that I have insurance now too.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
    Sounds like you are trying to talk yourself out of buying another one. Don't tell me. I think my treo is the perfect device until the new one comes out. I have yet to find a phone I have even thought about buying. thats FUNNY DUDE
    No keyboard kills the E815 for me.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    The company I work for has an employee discount plan with Verizon and I can get the E815 for about $80 with a 1-year contract (with a discount). I was in a Verizon store today and I checked out the E815. It felt very light and cheaply made. Although much larger, at least the Treo feels like a nice hunk of phone.
    Yup, no keyboard no treo replacement.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    after dealing with *both* Palm and Motorola technical support outsourced to third-world countries, there's no chance I'd replace my T650 with any device sporting the M logo.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I have the e815 now and I had a 650 with Cingular, and right now waiting to replace my e815 with a Verizon Treo. I miss a lot about my Treo. For a while I tried carrying the e815 cause it is a great phone, and an HP6515 from Cingular. There are so many things I didn't like about this, two devices for one was a pain. The e815 does have great call quality and Vcast is cool and the camera is great. I miss my keyboard trying to text my friends takes forever and I just get to the point where I don't feel like texting anymore and just write a one word text. My e815 crashes about 5 or 6 times a day when I text, I text alot, several hundred text a day with several different friends, that to me was really unacceptable. I thought it was just me, but 4 different people I know who have the e815, have the same problem about it crashing several times a day while trying to text. I can't use my Sidekick2 with those friends cause they gotta pay! I can't read books on my e815, thats the biggest thing. Someone said about build quality, I think the build is better than the Razr I had when I worked for Cingular, but it isn't as good as the Treo 650. I can't wait, tomorrow my Treo arrives, now if I can just figure out where its going, the shipper got the wrong address! Oh NO!
    IMO life after Treo or any good smart device = unless you're retired and don't need to be bothered anymore with functionality. If I lost mine and couldn't afford another, I'd have to get some type of true smartphone, even if it's used. However, the features on the E815 are pretty cool for a phone! Moto is finally getting better!

Your dog is cute!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Moto has gotten a lot better, they went from an amazing phone like the star tac to, the 2297 and the 120t's and now the e815 finally is a half decent phone. I almost would consider doing a PDA and my Moto, but that text thing, and not having the keyboard for texting just doesn't cut it.
    I think they're only good for short text anyway. If you get to sample a Q, that could change because it has a keyboard, just no touch screen(must have been an oversight ) Who will carry the Q, T-mobile? Cingular's already filled up with new devices. Including 2 smart devices not released yet.

But about Moto, RAZR has good graphics, design and sound for a simple phone. More than half decent. RAZR's also one of the best they've ever released IMO. A true world class phone. Although I have heard Moto releases better phones overseas to begin with. If that's true, WHY??
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I liked the look and feel of my Razr and thought it had decent features, I just always felt like I was gonna break it! Now that could just be me, cause I am a big guy. The Q doesn't do to much for me. I have come to the point to see that I am a Treo guy. I have missed my Treo since August when I started using Pocket PC again. I went to Pocket PC cause I wanted a better browser, I wanted to see my bank's website, now that I can do that with my Sidekick, and I get my email pushed to my Sidekick that was all that my Treo didn't do that I needed. I will always have my Sidekick cause it was a gift and I don't pay for the service. The Treo is a great device and I think either the 700w or 700p will be very impressive when we see them, some day
    no qwerty board kills it for me also, I do alot of texting/emailing/I.Ming
    Quote Originally Posted by pheath
    E815 Wins:

Bluetooth Headsets - I have a Motorola HS850. Unlike with the Treo, I actually get the handsfree profile. When I open the boom, it connects to the phone automatically.

I use a HS-850 with my Treo 650 and it works perfectly everytime. There was something wrong with your headset or Treo.
    Soylent Green Is People

My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Joe
    No keyboard kills the E815 for me.
    It killed it for me too. On day 14 of the 15 day trial, I swapped it out for an LG VX9800. I think I've hit the sweet spot now.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case