Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hi Perry,

Thanks for the quick reply. Actually, I did a similar calculation on the phone-call usage and came up with the same result.

I was a bit more concerned with the non-phone usage that seems to hit the battery a bit more than I had expected. Any idea if this is normal?

Also, does it make any different if the phone is connected to the Vision network but inactive...or should I manually disconnect the network when I'm done using it?

Thanks!
    Hey Qualtalk!

Both usages look normal to me. My Treo drains 3-4% overnight (6.5hrs) on the dresser doing nothing other than the phone being on. Web browsing drains the battery at a similiar rate as a phone call if you keep loading new pages.

One significant battery drain to keep in mind is being in a low or no service area. The Treo keeps trying to find better service and drains the battery with each attempt. I was at my daughter's 7th grade overnight camp outing last fall. The camp was out of most carrier's service -- those that did not turn their phones off -- had paper weights in 5 to 6 hours.

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    One significant battery drain to keep in mind is being in a low or no service area. The Treo keeps trying to find better service and drains the battery with each attempt.
    That does seem to make sense. I get great battery life when I'm at work and getting Chatter emails all day with some web surfing. Yet, when I'm in certain areas where I know my reception sucks, I seem to take big hits on the battery life.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    I consider myself a very "minimal/light" user and I can never get more than 1 day of usage without full recharging, being at < 10% by 4 or 5 in the PM every day.

PATHETIC PALM !!!!!!!
    ~* Peace
    Quote Originally Posted by bmeskin
    I consider myself a very "minimal/light" user and I can never get more than 1 day of usage without full recharging, being at < 10% by 4 or 5 in the PM every day.

PATHETIC PALM !!!!!!!
    Can you detail your "light" usage? If the drain is not justified by your usage, you may have a software or hardware issue.

Are you in a low or no service area?

Cheers, Perry.
    I believe I'm in a "high" service area, San Francisco.
    ~* Peace
    Quote Originally Posted by bmeskin
    I believe I'm in a "high" service area, San Francisco.
    There are good/high and bad/low areas of SF (as far as coverage).

By High, I assume you mean you have 4 Bars of Signal Strength nearly all the time.

Do you have wireless data turned on syncing with something?
    Do you have B/T and IR Beam turned on?

All of that can drain the battery, but something sounds wrong with your setup...your drain is much faster than mine and I bet I'm using it alot more than you.

A low user in a high coverage area should be able to last a 2-3 days +.
    It takes a 15 hour business trip with heavy phone and email usage to get my Treo down to 10%, I suspect there is an "issue" at work here.

A test would be to do a hotsync and then a hard reset. Does the Treo drain in the same manner in this out-of-the-box state? If so, I suspect a hardware or bad battery issue that needs to be resolved.

If the battery drain disappears on the hard reset, but reappears after a hotsync -- I suspect some software glitch which can be cured by a "clean install."

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=clean+install

Cheers, Perry
    I get Turbo Drain, and a soft reset fixes it, until the next time. But turning off the radio does not stop it. I have shut the radio off at night with 40+% left (after 12 hours of light usage (no calls, just pop email every 5 minutes)). I woke up with the phone beeping because the battery was empty. (which by the way with it plugged in, it still appears to not let you make a call until there is 15% battery life).

I have done a hard reset, and reload, and it still will happen. I was demoing Chatter, but have removed it, and can only say it has not happened since I remove it. The only added applications I have is volumecare and pdanet (which I am not using during this time).

Any ideas?
    I have this same problem. BT is off, IR detect is off.

When I leave my phone ON, the battery life is great. I took it to the local sprint to have it checked out and they put a new battery in it.

So if I turn the phone function OFF, the battery drains to nothing in 7 hours or so (overnight).

I tried explaining that to the Sprint store dude but he just said "well make sure you charge it every day." DOH!

With the new battery it has happened maybe 50% of time I turn off the phone at night.

I've done the hard reset, clean install, all the stuff suggested here in threads.

sheesh.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericdfairchild
    .....and if you have it set to "full bright"....
    Does anyone actually keep it set that high?! I have mine set to about 1/3 brightness (4-5 clicks from the darkest possible setting) and thats fine for me.

I can get 2-3 days of use out of mine, making 10-20 phone calls daily of about 1-5 mins each. I use bluetooth so thats always on. I only have chatter on when im away from a real computer, which isnt much. Same with web browsing. Turning off the phone at night saves me a ton of battery life.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo
    I read in a Treo 650 review that it claimed an 8 day stand-by time--which I immediately called nothing short of a lie.

My Sprint Treo, on standby, lasts about 2 days. A friend has a new Verizon Treo which he says lasts about 5 days on stand-by.
    My Sprint Treo has a good three days of usage in it before it begs for a charge.

I just went the entire holiday weekend on one charge. My usage is SnapperMail with an autocheck every 30 minutes, lots of phone activity, minor TomTom Navigation and some other games and stuff...

This said, I use TreGuard to turn the radio off at midnight and back on at 7 AM...other then that, it is on all day.
    Technology Rules!
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    Does anyone actually keep it set that high?!
    (screen on full bright. . . . .)

I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    (screen on full bright. . . . .)

I do.
    Thats crazy talk, maybe I'll try it and see how my battery does. Mine rarely goes below 80%, but mine charges whenever im in my car.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123