Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by diestarbucksdie
    ive noticed lately with no added software(yes im on cdma and use verichat often) that if i start with a full charge i will drop 8-10 percent in an hour-WITHOUT doing anything online, no verichat, i dont use an email client, i am disconnected from the network, bt disabled and still this happens-only had treo for about 4 months. also i have noticed that once my battery goes into the red, it drains very rapidly. from 20 percent to 2 in about 30 minutes. im using 1.08 upgrade on sprint as that is what it came with. any suggestions?
    Hi DSD!

Upgrading to 1.12 wouldn't hurt. Also, you may have software corruption giving you "Turbo Drain" -- see post #8 in this thread.

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I have a Cingular T650 upgraded to FW 1.17. I don't have any use for blue tooth yet so that is off. I also rarely if ever send or receive anything by IR so the IR receiver is shut off.

I am in a very weak signal area where I work and the phone is always reconnecting to the network. I use GoodLink for email which is on whenever the phone is on.

When I am at home I shut the phone off when I go to bed at night. I have so many other phones in the house that the people who would have an emergency can call those if they need me at 2 in the morning!!

When at my desk at work I tend to leave the charger plugged in. Is this OK? Or should I just wait until the phone gets to the 50% point on charge or lower?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom_D
    I have a Cingular T650 upgraded to FW 1.17. I don't have any use for blue tooth yet so that is off. I also rarely if ever send or receive anything by IR so the IR receiver is shut off.

I am in a very weak signal area where I work and the phone is always reconnecting to the network. I use GoodLink for email which is on whenever the phone is on.

When I am at home I shut the phone off when I go to bed at night. I have so many other phones in the house that the people who would have an emergency can call those if they need me at 2 in the morning!!

When at my desk at work I tend to leave the charger plugged in. Is this OK? Or should I just wait until the phone gets to the 50% point on charge or lower?
    Hi Thom_D!

With the weak signal at work and the reconnection attempts -- I would leave it plugged in at work -- thay way you are charged and ready to go when you leave. The recommendation -- is to top off the battery every night, anyway.

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Leave the headset off, tomorrow. See what happens. If the drain goes away, try the headset on again. If the drain re-occurs -- we have identified the issue to fix. If it doesn't come back, oh well, we will deal with the issue if and when it does come back. This "turbo drain" issue has been a slippery devil. Most people have never had the problem, some have experienced it once and never again with only a soft reset as the cure. For a few, it appears once a month. The pattern, has been no pattern.

(Do a soft reset.)

Cheers, Perry.
    Thanks Perry, I discovered what the problem was and that being the phone had B/T enabled and it was set to discoverable. I disabled B/T and my battery life was much better today. Although I think the extended battery would be a wise investment as If I had to go two or three days without a charger I would never make it.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    Thanks Perry, I discovered what the problem was and that being the phone had B/T enabled and it was set to discoverable. I disabled B/T and my battery life was much better today. Although I think the extended battery would be a wise investment as If I had to go two or three days without a charger I would never make it.

I was caught on a business trip overnight one time (an unplanned stay) without my battery charger and before my 2200 mAh and had to do the Best Buy or Sprint Store quick stop recharge.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 12/07/2005 at 04:45 PM.
    I payed close attention to fully charging mine when I first got it and never let it run dry. I was getting a couple of days (2-3) per charge. I had a bad headset jack and got a referb. I didn't think to swap the battery. The referb battery runs out daily. Some days I'm in the red before I get home and have to plan to conserve power.

Anyone who gets a replacement 650 and has had no power problems you should concider hanging onto your old battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dafydd
    I payed close attention to fully charging mine when I first got it and never let it run dry. I was getting a couple of days (2-3) per charge. I had a bad headset jack and got a referb. I didn't think to swap the battery. The referb battery runs out daily. Some days I'm in the red before I get home and have to plan to conserve power.

Anyone who gets a replacement 650 and has had no power problems you should concider hanging onto your old battery.
    Hi Dafydd!!

You either need a replacement battery from your carrier or need to do a clean install to remove some software glitch that is now in the refurb. The battery should last longer than that -- read this whole thread to get a gist of what the life should be. . . . .

Clean Install:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=101167
    post#2

Cheers, Perry
    With chattermail enabled, I barely get through the day on my 650 with a full charge...maybe 5-6 hours max. With Chattemail disabled, I can easily get a day and half or more...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo
    I read in a Treo 650 review that it claimed an 8 day stand-by time--which I immediately called nothing short of a lie.

My Sprint Treo, on standby, lasts about 2 days. A friend has a new Verizon Treo which he says lasts about 5 days on stand-by.
    I recently decided to check my battery usage. So the past week I've been letting it go down to about 10% before charging. I found my Sprint treo also only last about 2 days with a few calls, verichat use, and some internet use after 6pm. before 6 pm, I am at work and rarely use my phone for anything unless I get some calls or SMS. My battery is down to 60% by the end of the 1st day and about 15% the 2nd day and I recharge it overnight and start all over again with the about the same result.
    Thanks Perry,
    But I did a clean install (hard reset) and installed only the same aps that I had before. My provider should be responcable for the poor battery performance, but I'm not up to that battle right now. You have to choose your windmills...
    D.
    Hi Dafydd!!

You either need a replacement battery from your carrier or need to do a clean install to remove some software glitch that is now in the refurb. The battery should last longer than that -- read this whole thread to get a gist of what the life should be. . . . .

Clean Install:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=101167
    post#2

Cheers, Perry
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Hi Thom_D!

With the weak signal at work and the reconnection attempts -- I would leave it plugged in at work -- thay way you are charged and ready to go when you leave. The recommendation -- is to top off the battery every night, anyway.

Cheers, Perry.
    Perry,

Thanks. I just wanted to find out if it would hurt the battery to keep it plugged in a lot of the time. I work at my desk 90% of the day and have just been leaving the phone plugged in to the hotsynch cable/charger cord and didn't want to fry the battery by overcharging it. Not sure if the phone drops to trickle charge mode when the battery hits full charge or not.

Also last night I forgot to plug the phone in but did turn off the phone. Got this mornining and was down to about 10% charge. Is this the dreaded turbo drain that I have seen in a couple of different threads? I did a soft reset once I got the charge back up above 50%. I will watch for the next few days and see what happens and report back.

I keep BT and IR receive off as I don't have a BT headset yet and have only beamed stuff to my wifes handspring a couple of times. I also use keyshades to turn the keyboard off when it is light enough to see the keyboard. I keep the screen dimmed to a useable level as well. Any othet tips on power saving or knowledge of which program are battery hogs?

Thanks

Thom
    Thanks Perry!

You should be a Mod. I just turned off BT and I suppect that is the culprit. Will see how it goes tomorrow on a full charge.

P.S. RIP Richard Pryor!
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    No surprise here, but I've found that a major contributor to battery drain is the screen, especially on the 650. The screen lights up by itself periodically (when Versamail downloads something, when you get IMs in Verichat, etc.), and if you have it set to "full bright" and 1 or 2 minutes before auto-shutoff that can get expensive. Unless I know I'm near a charger I set my screen to the dimmest possible setting and set the auto-off to the 30 second setting, and that helps a lot. I usually can get through a long business day (16 hours) with moderate usage okay, but with heavy usage (an hour on the phone, lots of IMing and Versamailing) I'll be in the red.

YMMV
    Fyi, for those like me who may not know how to dim the screen, just researched it.

On the 650:
    Opt key (black) + right shift key.
    Last edited by GeekyMom; 12/11/2005 at 08:05 AM.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    Fyi, for those like me who may not know how to dim the screen, just researched it.

On the 650:
    Opt key (black) + right shift key.
    Thanks for this. I would do this all the time on my 600, but hadn't figured out how to replicate this on the 650 since I got it.
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    there is also another thread about this...

it seems that after updating to 1.17 (cingular) i have been having power problems. right now (4:07EST) it is down to 75%...i took it off of the charger yesterday morning, and dont really use it that much while at work.

when i had 1.15, it was MUCH better...i dont suppose that you can DOWNGRADE your FW, can you?
    I just got my Treo 650 last week and absolutely love it. It replaces my old Samsung I-330 Palm Phone which started acting strangely. The difference is like night and day.

One thing I've noticed is the battery seems to drain a bit quickly - not like the "Turbo Drain" I've read about in this thread, but faster than I had imagined.

It seems that doing anything costs a "tick" or two on the battery level. I'm trying to keep track of how I'm using the phone. Here's what I have so far; the percentage is the reading after the activity:

January 1, 2006

99% 4:37 pm - unplugged from charger
    97% 4:57 pm - checked calendar
    96% 5::05 pm - checked weather
    95% 6:30 pm - aa timetable - 2 minutes
    94% 8:23 pm - voicemail 2 minute
    93% 10:15 pm - (just checking)
    84% 10:52 pm - 30-minute call
    81% 11:18 pm - web browsing
    80% 11:28 pm - web browsing, checked & deleted mail
    78% 11:54 pm - AIM 2 minutes

January 2, 2006

77% 7;30 am checked battery level
    74% 7:42 am - update this form, restart phone
    72% 7:49 am - download, review, & delete 94 emails
    71% 8:25 am - some aim - 2 minutes
    70% 8:34 am - hotsync
    1. Does this usage seem normal?
    2. When I set up the phone, I was using it while it was charging. Did this somehow affect the battery vs. just letting it sit during the initial charge?
    3. I'm unclear as to whether the phone should be plugged in when I"m using it or just charged overnight. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Quote Originally Posted by qualtalk
    I just got my Treo 650 last week and absolutely love it. It replaces my old Samsung I-330 Palm Phone which started acting strangely. The difference is like night and day.

One thing I've noticed is the battery seems to drain a bit quickly - not like the "Turbo Drain" I've read about in this thread, but faster than I had imagined.

It seems that doing anything costs a "tick" or two on the battery level. I'm trying to keep track of how I'm using the phone. Here's what I have so far; the percentage is the reading after the activity:

January 1, 2006

99% 4:37 pm - unplugged from charger
    97% 4:57 pm - checked calendar
    96% 5::05 pm - checked weather
    95% 6:30 pm - aa timetable - 2 minutes
    94% 8:23 pm - voicemail 2 minute
    93% 10:15 pm - (just checking)
    84% 10:52 pm - 30-minute call
    81% 11:18 pm - web browsing
    80% 11:28 pm - web browsing, checked & deleted mail
    78% 11:54 pm - AIM 2 minutes

January 2, 2006

77% 7;30 am checked battery level
    74% 7:42 am - update this form, restart phone
    72% 7:49 am - download, review, & delete 94 emails
    71% 8:25 am - some aim - 2 minutes
    70% 8:34 am - hotsync
    1. Does this usage seem normal?
    2. When I set up the phone, I was using it while it was charging. Did this somehow affect the battery vs. just letting it sit during the initial charge?
    3. I'm unclear as to whether the phone should be plugged in when I"m using it or just charged overnight. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi Qualtalk!!

Welcome!

I am assuming that the 30 minute phone call dropped you the 9 points from 93% to 84%. Given they talk of 5 to 6 hours of talk time, 9 points goes into 100% 11 times and 11 1/2 hour periods = 5.5 hours. Sounds good to me.

You can use the phone while it is plugged in, but it is not necessary. I would just top off the battery with a charge each night.

Cheers, Perry.
    I would not know because I swap out batteries every morning and night
    Palm m105>Visor Prizm>Tungsten T>Clie Nx70v>Tungsten T3>Treo 600>Clie UX50>Tungsten T5>Treo 650>Tungsten TX>Treo 650 agian!!!
    As well, how did you update from your old Palm phone? If it was a direct hotsync to your prior userid, you will have future problems. Prior settings from a prior device drive the 650 nuts. You will need to do the following clean install:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=clean+install

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/02/2006 at 06:32 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast