Occasionally my Treo 650 won't power-on via the keyboard until I reset via the reset button.

I have a number of 3rd party apps installed but it seemed to be stable for a while before this started happening. I suppose I could run with a vanilla configuration for a while.

But still I'm curious if others have seen this specific scenario. I did search the forum and found a similar but not the exact same scenario. Those users only had a problem after charging. Also they had to do a lower level reboot to unfreeze.

Thanks.
    Hi TimL!!

How long have you had the Treo 650 and did you have a prior Palm OS device and upgraded to the 650 by just sync-ing to the prior device userid? If so, we need to do a clean install, the 650 chokes on prior device settings being brought forward in this manner.

If not, it sounds that something you have recently done or added is causing the problem. Running vanilla is a good idea, but you will also want to do that via a clean install -- you do not want to bring "the corruption" back from a back up.

Cheers, Perry.

CLEAN INSTALL:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=101167
    post #2
    I've had my 650 for almost 2 months. I also have a Tunsten E. Initially I did try to sync from my old Palm desktop. I had problems right away so I started over with a new desktop installation.

Things went fine for a while then the previously described behavior started. It seems to happen regularly overnight now.

Thanks for the reply.
    Most likely what is happening is a third-party application is stealing the event from you holding the power button. This used to happen to me with QLaunch I think it was.

My solution was go into the Phone application first, then power on or off the radio, always worked for me, but not sure it is a global workaround.
    Quote Originally Posted by TimL
    I've had my 650 for almost 2 months. I also have a Tunsten E. Initially I did try to sync from my old Palm desktop. I had problems right away so I started over with a new desktop installation.

Things went fine for a while then the previously described behavior started. It seems to happen regularly overnight now.

Thanks for the reply.

By starting over -- does that include a hard reset of the 650 and a sync to a new userid?

Either way -- I think a clean install is still your best bet.

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    My solution was go into the Phone application first, then power on or off the radio
    What do you mean go into the Phone application first? I can't power-on, so I can't go into any applications until I reset the device.

Thanks for a clarification.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    By starting over -- does that include a hard reset of the 650 and a sync to a new userid?
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by TimL
    What do you mean go into the Phone application first? I can't power-on, so I can't go into any applications until I reset the device.

Thanks for a clarification.
    I think he is trying to give you this remedy: try powering your phone off from within the phone application -- and then it will "awake" from the keyboard the next time, without having to do the reset.

I still vote for the clean install. Should not be this way. Something is crossed up.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 12/05/2005 at 08:25 PM.
    Thanks guys...

I'll try the work-around for a while to see if it has an effect. Eventually I'll try re-building the configuration from scratch to see if I can eliminate the problem altogether.