Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    1) Pocket Tunes deluxe with Sreaming MP3 capability

2) 2GB SD card

3) High Quality shure earbuds

4) TCPMP for Video

4) My Treo Audio Jack Hack w/ 3.5mm audio
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Why is this an ipod killer? My 40 GB ipod crushes your 2 GB Treo. I have a Treo too, don't get me wrong, but I would never dream of using my Treo to replace my ipod!
    Comparing the two devices is nuts!

If we talking about just playing and storing music, Treo is not even in the same league as Ipod.
    What is the "My Treo Audio Hack Jack"?
  5.    #5  
    your right, comparing is nuts. The ipod is an excellent device, especially the nano. I don't have one but I think I might get one for biking.

But as far a GB goes, do you really need 40GB? I can watch TV on the treo, I can download (from my computer) TV shows and movies, I can listen to the news, comedy, music from all over the world, etc... via streaming MP3 live. I can acsess music files on my computer via gloonet, set up my own radio audio stream and listen to it. How many GB are on the web?

I can take and upload pictures, blog, email, etc... And Media Player 10 does a pretty good job of ripping and organizing music and the variable bit WMA files are excellent. I can also chat on MSN, AOL, and Yahoo all while listening to music!!!

Ever listen to your ipod while using the treo? Kinda wierd I would think holding 2 devices.

But the ipods can also be improved upon... stay tuned for ipod nano hacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by joker9989
    Why is this an ipod killer? My 40 GB ipod crushes your 2 GB Treo. I have a Treo too, don't get me wrong, but I would never dream of using my Treo to replace my ipod!
    AMEN!!! I love the Treo but anyone who TRULY loves to have a soundtrack to their life and a personal radio station with everything in your music collection at all times will never be satisfied with a device where the music is a secondary or also included function. The iPod does music and it does it better than anything.

I consider the mark of a truely great device that you don't ever think about it, you simply use it. This is the iPod for me, I don't ever think about it, it just is; and it is the greatest.

BTW for everything else, the Treo is the greatest .

--20GB iPod with Click-wheel (4G) no photos, no video, just music; GSM Treo--

Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez

Ever listen to your ipod while using the treo? Kinda wierd I would think holding 2 devices.
    Yes, and the thing is you're not HOLDING the iPod, it's in your pocket doing what it does without needing any input from you becuae you've got a query driven smart playlist that keeps new tunes coming or you're in the middle of your 3350 song library (my meager collection) on shuffle and it doesn't need you to tell it what to play. You need to skip tracks because you're not in the mood for this one? Well the click wheel works through the pocket to skip songs. Volume too low since the song you're listening to is a bit softer than the rock tune that just went off? Well once again the click wheel can pick up the motion of your finger to raise (or lower if you needed to spin the other way) the volume through your pants, even jeans.

Yes I do take it out of my pocket sometimes and I do choose songs directly but the above it very indecitive of the way I use the iPod.
    Last edited by Fry-man22; 12/04/2005 at 01:02 AM.
  7.    #7  
    Well said!! Apple really has the whole package and Palm will never have that, at least not with the Palmos. With WM5 it might come close.

BTW, I am not done with my Treo hacks.... I can do all you described via a button on my earbud cable... Vol up/down, skip, pause, etc....

I was easy keeping my treo hidden on the commuter train for all this time, especially with the white earbuds.
    I bought a nano for my daughter thinking that I will be buying one for myself. Months later I am still using my treo. I use the 650 as an mp3 player for a couple of hours a day, and strea. audio for the 3hour sunday drive. IMHO T650 does what the ipod can PLUS the palm and phone stuff.
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    I bought a nano for my daughter thinking that I will be buying one for myself. Months later I am still using my treo. I use the 650 as an mp3 player for a couple of hours a day, and strea. audio for the 3hour sunday drive. IMHO T650 does what the ipod can PLUS the palm and phone stuff.
    Well said. My IPod Shuffle is lying in a drawer. There is nothing that the iPOD can do that Treo+PTunes cannot (besides the 2 gig limit on storage for the Treo.

The first thing I trashed were those horrible iPOD earphones. They must superglue them to the ear of the models in their advertising ... Mine kept falling off ir getting snagged even when lawnmowing!!
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    how did you get that audio jack adapter?
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzee
    treocentral store or you can find one really cheap on ebay

I am seling all of my ipods, i hae a nano, and now the 30gb video. For my needs, straming ptunes with even a 256mb sd card is more than enough, and having 1 device instead of 2 is wonderful.

I can actually admit that I like the streaming shoutcast stations more than XM!!! So i will not be renewing my XM subscription, saving $12.95/ month. With the audio adapter and a tape deck adapter or fm transmitter, the sound quality is excellent.

very cool
    The 3.5mm audio jack hack is fantastic! Well done. Do you have the step-by-step picitures that show how you did that?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzee
    I made it!!! One of a kind I would guess... well, actually I have two treo's with it and some extra antennas. I guess you might see one on ebay, but not the treo store.
    Last edited by nonobeez; 12/04/2005 at 01:36 PM.
    If you start producing those antennas, I'm guessing you will sell quite a few right here on TC, especially if you offer an antenna swap out deal....like send them the one with the jack, they send you their old one so you can use that to make another jack....kinda like a rebate plan. Nice work!
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    If you start producing those antennas, I'm guessing you will sell quite a few right here on TC, especially if you offer an antenna swap out deal....like send them the one with the jack, they send you their old one so you can use that to make another jack....kinda like a rebate plan. Nice work!
    I wouldn't go to all that trouble just for 2 gb.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    ... if you offer an antenna swap out deal....like send them the one with the jack, they send you their old one so you can use that to make another jack....kinda like a rebate plan. Nice work!

Good Idea!!! I have been having a problem getting antennas to retrofit them, at least to be able to sell them.

Some I have recieved have blemishes or scuff marks but nothing to serious. Customers can be quite picky and rightfully so whe they are spending hard earned money.
    On your site, it says "patent pending." Just curious, how can you patent an alteration to Palm's product?
    I have to admit, the Treo is better than the iPod. Of course you have the phone, email, web, video etc... But, the one thing that I hate about the iPods is the whole DRM protection.

I have bought my music, now I need to re-rip it into my machine to use it on anything but an iPod! That sucks! I am a VERY avid Mac user. 2 desktops, a laptop a iPod 60 and a Shuffle. However, I am pissed that I have to go through a "work" around to use the music that I have legally purchased on my Treo.

Copyright law states that you can make at leasst one copy of music or books, videos, etc for archival purposes.

Anyway, having the 60gigs with over 4000 songs on it, what happens? I listen to about 100 songs over and over. So now I have the shuffle. I take 90 songs on the road with me, have 512mb for data and it lasts 12 hrs and goes around my neck. Very light and easy. I'll have the Treo for an extra 90 songs.

Anyway, my 2cents. It's all good :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada
    I wouldn't go to all that trouble just for 2 gb.
    Trouble? Buying an antenna and sending back your old one?

Yes, the Treo is currently limited to 2 gb. That's MORE than enough to get me through at least a week (more like 3-4 weeks) before I take 5 minutes of my time to swap out the music via my card reader. Well worth all the "trouble" to not have to carry a second device...which is why I bought a Treo in the first place.

To each his own I guess.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Gee, look, more "look at my kewl treo hacks page" spam.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast