1.    #1  
    greetings,

Can anyone detail the advantages and negatives of a gps hooked into the treo vs buying a standalone gps?

Thanks in advance,

David
    Quote Originally Posted by professordave
    greetings,

Can anyone detail the advantages and negatives of a gps hooked into the treo vs buying a standalone gps?

Thanks in advance,

David
    Because I upgrade my phone every chance I get. I decided not to spend the money on a GPS that is TREO dependant.
    Take a look at this discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by professordave
    greetings,

Thanks in advance,

David
    For what? If you want to use a GPS while hiking or rafting...a stand alone is more practical. My Garmin will survive a fall down the side of a hill, or in a shallow body of water.

I guess if you just want to use one for driving around town, the Treo/GPS combo is okay, but I don't care for a 2" display in a car.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I guess if you just want to use one for driving around town, the Treo/GPS combo is okay, but I don't care for a 2" display in a car.
    I have a holder which suctions to my windshield and holds my Treo at 1:30 position just above and to the right of my steering wheel. The screen size is actually quite adequate there, and I can see what I need at a glance (I use TomTom Navigator 5 with voice prompts on).

I can actually keep my hand on the wheel while I jab at the screen with my index finger to do stuff with TomTom if I need to.

But, I am starting to think about a new car which I'd like to buy in 6 months or so. Clearly, a built-in navigation system would be far easier to read, but are they as configurable an flexible as something like TomTom???

I haven't done any test drives yet, but have searched the web (in vain) for product manuals for some of the in-car built-in navigation systems. I'd love to actually read the reference manuals for a few of those things.

If TomTom is superior I may stick with it and save the money on the navigation system. But, I'm hoping the in-car ones are decent so I can have the larger display.

Anyone here made that transition and have an opinion??

Cheers,
    ChickenHawk
    Treo 755p / Sprint
    I like keeping my Treo handy for phone and email use while in the car. My GPS solution for road trips has been a Palm Tungsten C, Radio Shack GPS receiver, Mapopolis NavCard and an Arkon powered car mount with speaker.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
    I had a Garmin 3600 and then was using, for a very short period, a T3 with Tom Tom on it. I now have a Garmin 2620 and Treo 650. And will not converge a device again. The reception in San Francisco warrants a secondary antenna and the screen size etc....well I just prefer the two devices now.

I think that the ability to have all of the maps on the device and not have to worry about transferring them to and fro based upon my travels is a major benefit as well.

Also, now the Garmin C3 seems to be reasonable priced and portable enough to transport fairly well if you fly between locations.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    That why I have:
    Michael