1.    #1  
    I am looking for a little info/help here.

I have Cingular service. I am wanting to get a Treo 650.

I actually have access to an unlocked Treo 650, but I am wanted to know
    if there is any difference than the branded Cingular one.

Yes I understand that the unlocked on is, well "unlocked".

Are the apps and the Treo's functions the same, just doesn't have Cingular everywhere, or am I losing some items by going the unlocked way.

Also do the unlocked versions get the same updates and new firmware?

Thanks!

OldNewtonGuy.
    The Palm unlocked ones have some features that Cingular doesn't, namely the ability manually select networks. The Cingular version cannot, without a hack (can be found here).
    The Palm has a ROW Software/Firmware, which doesn't have the Cingular extras (Real Player, etc).

From what I've read in the last 5 months, the Palm ones seem to suffer from low volume, moreso than the Cingular ones.
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    If you so desire, you can fairly easily "make" a cingular branded treo an unbranded one and vice-versa. All it requires is flashing the firmware with the "singapore" firmware that was floating around these forums about 7 months ago and then flashing the Treo with the latest GSM firmware of your choice.
    OldNewtonGuy:

Get this file and check out the basic instructions to convert a Cingular. Very easy.

1.23 to GSM ROW and you are done.

http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php/topic,23394.0.html

M
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for all the info.

I am really not going to unlock/lock my phone.

I was more wondering if the phone's apps and features are the same on the Cingular vs the Unlocked one.

If I get the unlocked on am I missing anything that I would get from the Cingular one?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldNewtonGuy
    Thanks for all the info.

I am really not going to unlock/lock my phone.

I was more wondering if the phone's apps and features are the same on the Cingular vs the Unlocked one.

If I get the unlocked on am I missing anything that I would get from the Cingular one?

Thanks!
    I have a locked cingular and it's been flawless since day 1. Based on the posts here, it looks to me like the unlocked Cingulars have reset problems and numerous issues even after they do the latest 1.17 update. When I updated mine the other day, it was smooth and no glitches at all which is completely the opposite of many of the posts here the last few days.

I don't know if I'm missing anything from an unlocked GSM Treo except for the option of moving to another carrier and using the same device.
    Last edited by Treo Rat; 12/02/2005 at 07:25 PM.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
  7. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercoffee1
    The Palm has a ROW Software/Firmware, which doesn't have the Cingular extras (Real Player, etc).
    RealPlayer, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $is$ $on$ $all$ $650s$. ($I$ $have$ $an$ $unlocked$ $650$ $from$ $the$ $Roadshow$--$and$ $use$ $Cingular$ $service$, $FWIW$--$and$ $RealPlayer$ $came$ $on$ $my$ $650$. $I$ $immediately$ $put$ $RealPlayer$ $on$ $a$ $hidden$ $tab$ $in$ $Launcher$ $X$ $and$ $loaded$ $AeroPlayer$, $just$ $as$ $I$'$d$ $done$ $with$ $my$ $T3$ $beforehand$.) $XpressMail$ ($a$ $Cingular$-$specific$ $mail$ $service$) $or$ $GetGood$ ($a$ $way$ $to$ $sign$ $up$ $for$ $GoodLink$ $for$ $corporate$ $users$) $are$ $not$ $on$ $the$ $unlocked$ $650$.

One other thing about the unlocked one--it's worth skinning the startup/shutdown screens. Left as is, it just shows the same "Treo" screen for both.