Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone know how the new software is going to work. Right now I am using a trial version of Chatter and I love it! The only problem is thw battery life and the green bars (calls sometimes going to VM). I use the SMS approach and that has REALLY helped. I was of the understanding that Blackberry uses a sort of SMS trigger(I might be totally wrong on this). My question is, does anyone know if the new BB will need to have a constant data connection, and thus kil our battery lives. Also, will it work in the background? If all its going to do is trigger a sync with an SMS, Chatter already does this, and I dont need to wait 2-3 months. Thanks!
    Chatter's upcoming OWA functionality (direct to exchange) is far more battery-friendly than IMAP "online". And it will be available before Blackberry...

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    And it will be available before Blackberry...
    Assuming Blackberry is still going to be available.
    My comment was referring to the results of the patent litigation between RIM and NTP. Palm's license appears to be with RIM and not NTP, so I assume Palm would be affected by the litigation should RIM and NTP be unable to workout their differences.
    But what does this have to do with treo users who will finally have BB enterprise functionality (vis a vis BB client software) which their companies support?

For instance, we don't use exchange at our company. Currently, I use Chatter to quicksync to our Novell/Groupwise mail servers. Others are connected through the BB enterprise servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    Chatter's upcoming OWA functionality (direct to exchange) is far more battery-friendly than IMAP "online". And it will be available before Blackberry...

Marc
    I use Chatter to GroupWise as well. If the SMS feature of Chatter didn't interfere with LightWav (and other SMS managers), it would be perfect for battery life. No need for Blackberry connect. In fact Chatter gets the emails faster than the Blackberries when Chatter is in Online mode (huge battery drain though).

However I will most likely try the blackberry softwhere when it comes out. The reason is because I have to support our BES server which is causing me to carry a BB 7250 as well as my Treo for now. Major pain! I will still use Chatter for my other accounts when that happens.

I still don't understand the love of the dingleberries....
    Hmmm...trying to figure out how you have Groupwise supporting Chatter in online mode. Groupwise will try and kick the online connection off every so often. And, if you do ever get in "constant" online mode it is just that -- constant.

If Chatter could somehow work with my Groupwise like it works with my Fastmail account then I'd be a VERY happy person.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by manielse
    I use Chatter to GroupWise as well. If the SMS feature of Chatter didn't interfere with LightWav (and other SMS managers), it would be perfect for battery life. No need for Blackberry connect. In fact Chatter gets the emails faster than the Blackberries when Chatter is in Online mode (huge battery drain though).

However I will most likely try the blackberry softwhere when it comes out. The reason is because I have to support our BES server which is causing me to carry a BB 7250 as well as my Treo for now. Major pain! I will still use Chatter for my other accounts when that happens.

I still don't understand the love of the dingleberries....
    for the GW users, do we even know if the palm connect software will work with GW?

thanx.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    BB Connect software will work with BB enterprise servers, which in turn work with GW. GW would have to come out with a client (a la NotifyLink for PPC) that would allow direct Treo to GW.
    Quote Originally Posted by illustreous
    BB Connect software will work with BB enterprise servers, which in turn work with GW. GW would have to come out with a client (a la NotifyLink for PPC) that would allow direct Treo to GW.
    the reason I asked, was because at least in the first couple of press releases they never mention GW. OutLook Yes, Notes Yes, but nada about GW.

I work for a GW shop and we have BES. Right now, only Blackberries use them. If gw works, then I can work.

From my un-scientific observasion there are more treos that bb where I work.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    We use GW and BES. So BB's connect to BES-->GW. However, there is no way for my Treo to connect to BES or GW and maintain a secure connection. I can connect directly to GW via quicksync in Chatter; however, I cannot maintain a (BB-like) online connection to GW.

Can you do this between your Treo and GW?

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    I work for a GW shop and we have BES. Right now, only Blackberries use them. If gw works, then I can work.

From my un-scientific observasion there are more treos that bb where I work.
    I'm still waiting to see what this press release is was all about....of course it was announced a week before the Nokia acquisition announcement so that could change things.

Intellisync To Provide Wireless Push Email For The Novell Groupwise Collaboration Platform

http://www.intellisync.com/pages/Com...80D91D4D53A6DC

"The wireless messaging technology from Intellisync will be embedded into Novell GroupWise 7. "

Novell will launch a beta program starting in January.
    Hmmm...trying to figure out how you have Groupwise supporting Chatter in online mode. Groupwise will try and kick the online connection off every so often. And, if you do ever get in "constant" online mode it is just that -- constant.
    I don't know if you know the answer to this but are you connecting through the GWIA or the POA? I've had much better luck through the POA although QSync with a short interval isn't too bad on the GWIA.
    For me BB connect will not only give the mail functionality but the calendar and contact look up from the corporate directory. Also inviting people to meetings is a big plus. No one has a working solution for this on the Treo. I love my 650 but am testnig an 8700c right now and it is amayzing!
    Through GWIA. I don't even know how I would connection through the POA. Quicksync was great for a little while, but now it's getting tedious (not to mention a huge battery hog) for me to do on short intervals.

Quote Originally Posted by manielse
    I don't know if you know the answer to this but are you connecting through the GWIA or the POA? I've had much better luck through the POA although QSync with a short interval isn't too bad on the GWIA.
    8700c looks like a great product. Although I would miss taking pics and emailing them on the fly. I've found myself doing that a lot lately on the 650.

What in particular do you find "amazing" about the 8700c over the 650?

Quote Originally Posted by txschafers
    For me BB connect will not only give the mail functionality but the calendar and contact look up from the corporate directory. Also inviting people to meetings is a big plus. No one has a working solution for this on the Treo. I love my 650 but am testnig an 8700c right now and it is amayzing!
    8700c looks like a great product. Although I would miss taking pics and emailing them on the fly. I've found myself doing that a lot lately on the 650.

What in particular do you find "amazing" about the 8700c over the 650?
    Auto-light sensing screen ( works great in direct sunlight ), calendar and e-mail is obviously much better, bluetooth pairs almost instantly and recognizes calls MUCH faster then my 650, call quality for incoming and outgoing is much clearer. However, still not sold on it since I can type much faster on my Treo and like the touch screen. I do not care about the camera on my Treo and I am not one of those people that is going to use it to watch movies. If BB Connect was out for the Treo I would probably not even be considering the 8700c
    Thanks. Ditto, BB Connect, if implemented properly on the Treo, would be a killer app.

Quote Originally Posted by txschafers
    If BB Connect was out for the Treo I would probably not even be considering the 8700c
    What's so special about BB Connect? (It's a serious question).

Marc
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast