Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    I have an unlocked Cingular Treo 650 - running firmware 1.28, Software Treo650-1.13-ROW, Hardware A.

I have started having major problems with the phone. It has degraded rather quickly over time. The phone will reset multiple times a day, sometimes multiple times an hour, rarely when I'm "doing" something with the phone - almost always just "sitting" idle.

I get various memory chunk overload errors, always reporting that the program that the Treo is "sitting" on is to blame. I.e., it might be "phone" or "launcher x" or "chatter". I think in the past two weeks I've only had the phone actually reset while I'm actively using it (for email, calendar, etc.) one time. So, it's more of an annoyance than anything else, since it hasn't affected my "use" of the phone overall. But my guess is that it will get worse

Yesterday I did a hard reset and reinstalled just the few programs that I "need". Yesterday I had about 3 resets. I know there was one right about 9:00 p.m. When I woke this morning at 6:00, there had been one at 12:13 a.m. Since 6:00 a.m. (it's 8:13 now), I've had 7 different resets.

Yesterday, I first tried to "restore" the Treo from backup before going to the "reinstall one at a time" approach. Each time I attempted to restore the contact data, the treo would reset.

My gut reaction, since this has deteriorated rapidly over a couple of weeks, is that I have a hardware problem. However, before I give in and get new hardware, I'm wondering if anyone has any specific ideas about trying to upgrade the firmware once more. I've looked through various firmware threads here, and cannot come up with any great concensus about what might be the "best" for an unlocked phone at this point.

So, if someone can point me to specific firmware/software to try, I'll give it one last try before I go looking for a new Treo

Thanks.

Danita

P.S. - my poor Treo has reset twice sitting on my desk while I've composed this message <pout>.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    I'd vote for a hardware issue, but I'd try the new Cingular firmware before going the refurb route.

If you really want to isolate hardware vs. software, just do a hard reset and see how long it will go before it locks up. Don't restore anything and see if it will run a while in it's factory state. I thought I needed to order a replacement, but mine worked fine after a hard reset. I eventually figured out it was a Chatter beta that caused the resets. Worked fine for a few weeks then started resetting like crazy, hard reset and it stayed up for 24 hours no problem.

Hope you get it figured out!

Quote Originally Posted by Danitaz
    I have an unlocked Cingular Treo 650 - running firmware 1.28, Software Treo650-1.13-ROW, Hardware A.

I have started having major problems with the phone. It has degraded rather quickly over time. The phone will reset multiple times a day, sometimes multiple times an hour, rarely when I'm "doing" something with the phone - almost always just "sitting" idle.

I get various memory chunk overload errors, always reporting that the program that the Treo is "sitting" on is to blame. I.e., it might be "phone" or "launcher x" or "chatter". I think in the past two weeks I've only had the phone actually reset while I'm actively using it (for email, calendar, etc.) one time. So, it's more of an annoyance than anything else, since it hasn't affected my "use" of the phone overall. But my guess is that it will get worse

Yesterday I did a hard reset and reinstalled just the few programs that I "need". Yesterday I had about 3 resets. I know there was one right about 9:00 p.m. When I woke this morning at 6:00, there had been one at 12:13 a.m. Since 6:00 a.m. (it's 8:13 now), I've had 7 different resets.

Yesterday, I first tried to "restore" the Treo from backup before going to the "reinstall one at a time" approach. Each time I attempted to restore the contact data, the treo would reset.

My gut reaction, since this has deteriorated rapidly over a couple of weeks, is that I have a hardware problem. However, before I give in and get new hardware, I'm wondering if anyone has any specific ideas about trying to upgrade the firmware once more. I've looked through various firmware threads here, and cannot come up with any great concensus about what might be the "best" for an unlocked phone at this point.

So, if someone can point me to specific firmware/software to try, I'll give it one last try before I go looking for a new Treo

Thanks.

Danita

P.S. - my poor Treo has reset twice sitting on my desk while I've composed this message <pout>.
    install the 1.71 firmware... it's pretty fail-safe. Just the firmware though, not the whole ROM. I would guess that one or multiple programs connecting to the nat that cause a problem. I had problems with verichat, Versamail and others, but when I configures to manually connect and then I disconnect, my problems when away. I also reset my phone anytime I use bluetooth, I think it was disabled for a reason (or more).
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Well, as luck would have it, I DID reset again this a.m. at 8:30. At 10:15 there had been no resets, so I installed some diversional stuff (SMPro), and played a few card games <g>. No resets. At 11:45 I configured VersaMail to go get my mail (blech - although I hadn't actually FORGOTTEN why I don't use VersaMail I had tried to forget <g>). No resets. At 3:00 I set VersaMail up to auto-sync every 30 minutes. It is now 6:05 p.m. and still no resets for the day. I don't think the phone has gone this long without a reset in weeks!

Here are the programs that I reinstalled yesterday - it has to be one of them:

Chatter (was using the most current "beta" version) - had a reset not too terribly long afterwards, highly suspect I'm afraid, since I love this app!
    netClock
    keycaps600
    Synthesis SyncML client
    PalmVNC
    ptelnet

the next thing I will install will likely be the syncml client, because it is how I get my contacts and calendar from my corporate email server. I plan on doing that tonight about bedtime. I'll report back on my success/failure. While I certainly haven't ruled out hardware yet at this time, it certainly has been a much better "treo" day - even if it has been mostly a brick <g>. Because of the type of work I do, I use the "phone" very little. I use the Treo primarily for email, PalmVNC, ptelnet (to look at other email servers), Verichat (which I haven't tried to reinstall yet either, and which originally was high on my list of possible culprits), etc. I spend many hours a day using the phone as a "data" device, and typically use under 300 minutes a month of phone time! Today, due to having so few apps to work with, I actually logged 60 minutes of phone time - phone is working find <g>.

Not having any "apps" on the phone means that about all I can do is play Solitaire on SMPro

Danita
    Netclock! what is it and is it really needed? and which version of keycaps do you have? .9 is the one that works for the 650.

I think you definitly have a software problem, unless you think that multiple programs hooking up to the net is what treo's were made for. You might actually be better off with another device if you really need all that data traffic... and maybe something with EV-DO.

I hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    Netclock! what is it and is it really needed? and which version of keycaps do you have? .9 is the one that works for the 650.

I think you definitly have a software problem, unless you think that multiple programs hooking up to the net is what treo's were made for. You might actually be better off with another device if you really need all that data traffic... and maybe something with EV-DO.

I hope this helps.
    netclock is an ntp client for the treo - I find that "system" time doesn't really work for my GSM phones, and it allows me to update the time periodically - it is only used infrequently.

As for how I use the Treo - I've had Treos since version 270, and actually had the GPRS "hack" for that phone on T-Mobile long before it was available for the Treo. I've used it this way on a 270, 600 and 650 now for over 3 years. So I wouldn't say that I'm unfamiliar with just what a Treo CAN do. It's only been the past month that the thing has gone belly up!

Danita
    Danita,

I have a feeling that most Treo problems are software related. I also ran tons of programs for almost everything and had resets all the time.

I now run a much leaner treo, I don't even run the Keyshades hack, I figured it was pointless since battery usage was not a problem for me. I also now check my email manually or have selective forwarding via SMS and use verichat via SMS and only when I log in manually.

I hope I have ben helpful!