1.    #1  
    I am a new Treo 650 user - I've had Verizon service for the past few years and for the most part have been happy with it. However, the service on my Treo is pretty bad - especially in my house, and my older phone (same service) has much better reception in the same spots. I've returned the Treo and picked up a new one and it has the same results - crappy service, drops calls, etc.. I've been on the phone with Verizon for the past 2-3 weeks and they have tried a few different things but the end result is the same. My biggest frustration is that I will show "2 bars" on the Treo, but once I make or receive a call it instantly goes to one or zero bars and the other person can't hear me or I lose them altogether..

Does anyone have good/bad experiences with antennas or other boosters? I need it primarily for my house - I get good reception when I am out on the road.. I checked around the other day and see that there are some options from $40 to $750 out there - obviously I don't want to spend $750 on a setup - but am not sure the cheapest one will work either.

Any other suggestions/ideas (besides throwing it in the trash) would be helpful. I have a 1-year contract w/ Verizon so switching to Cingular or something else would not work at this time either...

Thanks in advance.
    My wife and I both bought verizon treo 650s. we both hated the reception but she also didn't like for keyboard and went back to a life drive and an e815. her reception is definitely a bit better than mine (verizon denies that). when we are in finge areas (like our weekend house) she can sometimes get a connection and make a call out and I wait and wait for the call to go through and sometimes it won't.

that said, we both get dropped calls more than we did with older tri-mode phones (our last one was kyocera 7135) I like the treo so much I'm willing to learn to live with somewhat crappy phone service. everyone I talk with tells me the service from other carriers is worse.

I think eventually that cingular will get it together and wind up with great phone service and they really rock on the equipment they introduce and the data services they offer...till then (at least in SF Bay Area) verizon is the only reasonable choice.

cheers and good luck...

Tom O'Connell
    I had lousy results with repeaters/amplifiers using Cingular. In my experience, no real gain in signal strength. The unit I bought was about $600.00. I switched to Sprint and have never looked back. If Sprint is good in your area, you can try a Treo with their 14 day return policy. If you get better coverage than Verizon, you can then port your number, and the money you will save with Sprint's less expensive unlimited data plan will help pay for Verizon's $175 early term. fee.
    iPhone on AT&T, Waiting for the Pre
    with the treo 650 you have several options. the TREO has a external ANT connetion so you can buy just a high gain ANT or purchase a amp. I bought a repeater/amp form digitalantenna and it has worked well so far. model DA4000MR-10a you have a outside ant and a inside ant that mounts up front. the also have a direct connect amp. there web sit is digitalantenna.com Mine listed for $450.00 i bought it for $295.00 including 2 day air shipping searching on the net. Good luck
  5. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I work in the summer in a town in MA that has terrible cell coverage in general, but specifically with Verizon. My apartment had almost zero coverage, even outside in the parking lot, on the hill in the backyard, etc. It was really unbearable. I got my Treo during last summer. In the beginning I had a v710, which didn't work either, but I bought an external antenna at Radio Shack, and that worked well enough to let me do my job. When I got the Treo, I knew it wouldn't be as good with RF as the v710, but I planned to get an antenna adapter for it as well. I bought an adapter online, but after trying the Radio Shack antenna and various other ones, I never got enough reception to allow me to stay connected on a call. I don't know if the Treo adapter was faulty, or if the Treo in general doesn't do well with external antennas, but sometimes I couldn't even tell if it was better or worse with the antenna.

I know you're talking about GSM, but I'm interested to hear what other people's experiences are froma hardware perspective with the external antenna connection on the Treo. It seemed almost like it didn't work, and I wonder if this is common. I know this summer I will be staying in a different part of town, but I will probably face essentially the same problem again.

BTW, back home in NYC the Treo is as good as any phone I've used. I even get enough reception in most subway stations to surf the net or check e-mail while waiting for my train.
    I bought one of these:

http://booster-antenna.com/index.php...products_id=41

It gives me about a bar to a bar and a half of extra signal strength.

Don
  7. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace
    I bought one of these:

http://booster-antenna.com/index.php...products_id=41
    It gives me about a bar to a bar and a half of extra signal strength.
    Cool, thanks for the link. That looks like the Radio Shack antenna I had, but with a built-in Treo connector. It's a lot pricier though, but if it works it will be worth any amount of money. I've bookmarked that site in case I wind up needing it.
    my treo service is with sprint, and same thing, my sanyo mm8300 worked awesome everywhere but the treo not so much. no dropped calls yet though