Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB
    I'll remove the old download link and upload the latest one I made (will be posted here and later on the first post of this thread). This one has dbcache of 13631 available which is similar to the 1.13 stripped ROM I previously made! I finally figured out that in order to prevent the languages selection loop, CJKOS prc should be left in the acepalmos. I have removed all chinese language files (pdbs related too) including mf overlays, versamail and real. It still includes world clock and calculator. I strongly suggest those upgrading to do a zero out reset first (just a precaution) to hopefully prevent problems like what fryman and curlykraut has encountered. I'm glad you guys found a way out of the loop. I don't understand why it happened in the first place as the ones who upgraded were problem free.

MFB, where can i d/l your rom?
    i can't find it on the first post...
    tx
    Quote Originally Posted by netdale
    KeyserSoze would you be willing to do the same to the ROM w/ VersaMail? I would greatly appreciate it!
    Thanks Dale
    Net:

Custom 1 is 'the same', with Versamail. Chinese files removed. More refined and much smaller ROM. New link will be up soon.
    Last edited by lovecostarica; 12/02/2005 at 07:27 AM.
    I was out of the office the whole day. I'll have the updated rom uploaded tomorrow 2pm +8 gmt.

Maria, just make sure you leave the cjkos.prc so that your rom will not have the languages selection loop problem.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spankyoatmeal
    1.71 - 1.20 ROMs by LoveCostaRica

Custom 1: No Tutorials and no Realplayer:
    http://rapidshare.de/files/8482158/T...tom-1.zip.html

Custom 2. No Tutorials, RealPlayer, and no Versamail.
    http://rapidshare.de/files/8481939/T...tom-2.zip.html
    It's a bit confusing with all of these various available files from multiple people However, I'm thinking I will try one of these. I'm a bit confused though - I know WHY someone might not want VersaMail on their Treo (just for simplicity's sake of not having an app on there that you don't use), but is there any "performance" benefit to not having it there? I don't really use VersaMail, but because I'm an email consultant sometimes I will fire it up to check something for a client. So, unless there is some big reason performance wise for me to avoid installing VersaMail, I would go for custom 1 I guess (I have PocketTunes, and use it instead of RealPlayer anyway). Does that make the most sense, or would I be happier with "performance" if I left off VersaMail?

Thanks.

Danita
    did the last Custom 1 with clean sd, fw ok, but after the firmware upgraded to 1.71, get "error updating rom"
    Then HR, everything working, version is, 1.71, 1.20APR, but it's still my old rom
    i tried this 3 times, no go for the rom
    btw i'm updting from 1.51, 1.13.
    any advice with be appreciated
    Quote Originally Posted by igargamel
    did the last Custom 1 with clean sd, fw ok, but after the firmware upgraded to 1.71, get "error updating rom"
    Then HR, everything working, version is, 1.71, 1.20APR, but it's still my old rom
    One more thing
    any way to update only the rom?
    what files i need to copy to the device in order to do it?
    tx again
    Apparently this "new" ROM is an update from the previously posted one? Anyone test this version? The error you are getting - is it consistent? I was about to install this latest custom ROM 1 and then I saw your post. Thoughts anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB
    I was out of the office the whole day. I'll have the updated rom uploaded tomorrow 2pm +8 gmt.

Maria, just make sure you leave the cjkos.prc so that your rom will not have the languages selection loop problem.
    MFB:

Yes, thank you. I left it in originally and again several days ago when cleared some Chinese files from the ROMs. I was kinda slow in getting the cleand out ones avail.

Looking forward to your link

Maria
    Last edited by lovecostarica; 12/02/2005 at 10:21 AM.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    I just got the same error. I also show that I have the new firmware AND the new software, but it's the old ROM.

Also, I can't download Custom 2 - says the file can't be found.

Hmmmmm.

Danita
    Kaiser: Thanks for your info

xoxoxo

All:

Old and new ROM base has been tested and working just fine. Probably for the greatest part, the various ROMs in this thread are close to identical, or almost exactly so, except for having various traditional ROM apps removed, saving space for customization.

Danitaz:

Not what I would call a 'performance' boost by removing Versamail, as much as clearing up some memory in your system, that you could use for other apps which could sit in ROM, so those apps would be faster to load.

Hope this hleps.

Maria
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    One other thing I've noticed though since this "unsuccessful" ROM update - my scroll bars aren't working. That's the only thing that I've noticed that is "broken" by the unsuccessful update.

Danita
    Quote Originally Posted by JunkieBoot
    Apparently this "new" ROM is an update from the previously posted one? Anyone test this version? The error you are getting - is it consistent? I was about to install this latest custom ROM 1 and then I saw your post. Thoughts anyone?
    3 times, the same error
    the treo is working pefectly, and the versions are 1.17-1.20
    it's just like you do FW only update.....

lovecostarica, any way to do rom update only?
    tx
    Quote Originally Posted by Danitaz
    One other thing I've noticed though since this "unsuccessful" ROM update - my scroll bars aren't working. That's the only thing that I've noticed that is "broken" by the unsuccessful update.

Danita
    So are we saying there is a "bug" in this latest customer ROM update? Certainly broken scroll bars are not desireable. Thoughts anyone? I just don't want to kill my Treo with a known issue.
    3 times, the same error
    the treo is working pefectly, and the versions are 1.17-1.20
    it's just like you do FW only update.....

lovecostarica, any way to do rom update only?
    tx
    I have not flashed a ROM without a radio update, but perhaps MFB, or someone may have. The radio updates have been pulled seperately and are available.

Options, not tested by me:

Take out the radio update, and leave just the ROM (seven files or so to remove),

or

conversely, you can put in the radio update you want to keep, into the ROM, replacing the radio files that are in the ROM now. I have done this with 1.13 and 1.30/1.31.

M
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    FWIW, the Custom 2 files also fail in the ROM update - just like the Custom 1

Danita
    I was SOOO pissed when I looked at my contacts and everything was represented as a 10 diget string with no dashes. If anyone else see this all you have to do is re-check the North American dialing in the prefs for the contacts, just FYI.

I've noticed that my Prefs menu have gotten a bit strange. I now have a CJK OS as the first entry under the General category that I'm pretty sure was not there before. Anyone have a clear explanation for this? Just curious it doesn't bother me too much as everything seems to be running great, quicker and I don't have an echo which everyone seemed to complain to me about on 1.43 (of course we know that one had issues, but I'm just not seeing them with this release).
    I success to upgrade using custom#4. Work without any problems. DBcahe free now is 7M+ compare with Full rom with chineese is 3M+.
    Quote Originally Posted by lovecostarica
    I have not flashed a ROM without a radio update, but perhaps MFB, or someone may have. The radio updates have been pulled seperately and are available.

Options, not tested by me:

Take out the radio update, and leave just the ROM (seven files or so to remove),

or

conversely, you can put in the radio update you want to keep, into the ROM, replacing the radio files that are in the ROM now. I have done this with 1.13 and 1.30/1.31.

M
    tried that, same error "error updating rom"
    the problem is the location of the rom is worng or something like that...
    i tried to run the romupdate.prc from the device itself and the app doesnt seem to find the rom file....
    ok, guess will have to wait to MFB rom tomorrow.....
    tx anyway
    I have FW1.71 ROM. When I upgrade ROM only, I use PC send all 7 files to treo650 via bluetooth. How can I send to you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fry-man22
    I was SOOO pissed when I looked at my contacts and everything was represented as a 10 diget string with no dashes. If anyone else see this all you have to do is re-check the North American dialing in the prefs for the contacts, just FYI.

I've noticed that my Prefs menu have gotten a bit strange. I now have a CJK OS as the first entry under the General category that I'm pretty sure was not there before. Anyone have a clear explanation for this? Just curious it doesn't bother me too much as everything seems to be running great, quicker and I don't have an echo which everyone seemed to complain to me about on 1.43 (of course we know that one had issues, but I'm just not seeing them with this release).
    Have you read ANY of this thread? This FW is ripped out of some found-god-knows-where rom from a Chinese phone. So yeah, the default dialing prefs aren't going to be US, and yeah, there's a Chinese handwriting prefs in the Preferences.

Newbs should not install stuff like this..