1.    #1  
    Hi all.
    I have a question about Navigator 5.
    First of all I looked around but did not find a answer.

I emailed TomTom Without a response..
    So I will see if anyone here knows...

Questions...

1.)Does any one know when the maps were last updated?
    and when the new release is expected to be?

I have been trying out TomTom compaired to Mapopolis,Iguidance,Destinator.

And TomTom does not have as up to date maps as the other gps software.
    I bought a house 3 years ago in a new subdivision all the other gps software it is on there but not TomTom.
    If it has been about 3 years since a map update I think that is pretty bad for a gps mapping software company.
    Has anyone else seen similar things like this with TomTom.

I bought TomTom because I seen A lot of good coments on it but now I am seeing different.

2.)
    Is there a way to change the voice alert distances? The only alert I get it about when I am about 400 yards from the street I need to turn on to.That is not enough time on some roads to get over to the lane I need to get to.

All the other Gps software I used before Mapopolis,Iguidance,Destinator all alerted me between 1-2 miles before.

Thanks for all your help...
    Michael
    Last edited by michaelrj; 11/30/2005 at 11:27 AM.
    I do not believe there is a way to chance the alert distances. I get notices at greater distances if I'm on a highway for example. It seems to related speed or road characteristics.
  3.    #3  
    If anyone wants to buy this TomTom software Navigator 5 I will be selling it.
    Just PM Me..
    Michael
    If you are really that dissatisfied, have you tried returning it to Tomtom? They have replaced disks and the GPS receiver for me. It's significant if you live in a house that is several years old and not on a software/data package that was released about 6 months ago. The advance warning distance is more related to what you are used to. I'm ok with the Tomtom warnings after using it for a few months. If you search the old Tomtom posts you should be able to find the phone number for Tomtom US support. They are usually more responsive than their email support system. Also, it may be difficult for a new owner to re-activate your copy of Navigator 5 so selling it is not a good option.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    If you are really that dissatisfied, have you tried returning it to Tomtom? They have replaced disks and the GPS receiver for me. It's significant if you live in a house that is several years old and not on a software/data package that was released about 6 months ago. The advance warning distance is more related to what you are used to. I'm ok with the Tomtom warnings after using it for a few months. If you search the old Tomtom posts you should be able to find the phone number for Tomtom US support. They are usually more responsive than their email support system. Also, it may be difficult for a new owner to re-activate your copy of Navigator 5 so selling it is not a good option.
    Thanks for your reply.I will contact TomTom and see where I can get with them.

I am not trying to come across as a smart A**.I just was really Disappointed with the software.I ordered directly from them online it came in a sealed box was missing 1 cd.Then after I got it installed and was trying it out this is what I found out.

I live on a old country road that my guess that it has been here about 50-100 years.(corn fields)
    1.) TomTom tells me that there is 2 side roads on my street that does not exist(maybe they can tell the future LOL)

Like I said earlier in my post above I have a house that I rent out in a subdivision that has been there about 3 years
    2.) and on TomTom it is not on there, but it is on all the other gps software I used.
    Same thing goes for a couple of other areas I know that has been there for a while.

3.)unless it is just me (maybe my palm & gps does not want to sync right?)but it seems like every address I go to it tells me it is about another 100-200 yards ahead when in fact I am there already.Or vise versa (The other software was very accurate).

4.)Like you said the warning I could get used to after time (but still think it is weird)

Like I said before I do not mean to come across (Like I know it sounds)
    But I really would like to know if anyone else has seen things like this?

Thanks
    Michael
    Where we live, TomTom has no problems with streets or directions. On my wife's new Honda Odysey GPS it tells her she going into unverified territory and does not show an actual mapped route. These homes have been here since the late 70's.

I have used TomTom for travelling in Denver, Dallas, and Washington DC, all cities I am not familiar with. I have not had any problems with directions and the 3D makes it very easy to use on the Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelrj
    But I really would like to know if anyone else has seen things like this?
    Try searching and reading some of the older Tomtom or GPS posts. Most of these issues have been discussed to some extent before. I personally have not yet had any significant database errors from TTNav5. I'm sure I'll find some eventually. Overall it compares well with the built in Nav system in our Toyota Prius. The 3D map display really compensates for the small screen.