Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Maybe some T/C user's feedback would be helpful with my dilemna; I like the idea of being able to use my 650 as a GPS device, however, it seems that the option of being able to use the phone at the same time is not possible. So, would it make more sense to just purchase a standalone gps device such as the Garmin or TomTom- the prices have come down significantly ($500-$700) and you can use your phone at the same time.
    The upside to the 650/gps combo would be integration and lower price but I'm wondering if the phonesacrifice would be worth it. As a realtor, I'm always an the phone and in my car so this may factor in. Any feedback, especially from realtors, would be appreciated.
    ReMax Properties Unlimited
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
    It sounds to me like you've answered your own question. You need your phone available.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
    Have to agree with pheath. While I like having a combination unit (Treo 650 with Tomtom Navigator 5), my phone is not critical to me. I don't get many incoming calls and I often leave it turned off so they go to voice mail anyway If your cell phone is integral to your business, then using it for navigation at the same time might not work.
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Good points; I guess my mind is made up. I keep seeing this commerical with that 8 foot Chinese basketball player (Yeow Ming?) hawking the new Garmin GPS. That might be the answer.
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
    the advantage of the GPS and treo IMO is for people that travel and rent cars....you dont need another device...only the antenna.
    I was under the impression that you could use the phone AND gps at the same time, as long as they were not both bluetooth devices, because of the only-one-bluetooth-device-at-a-time limitation.

I would think that you could use a serial gps like a sedio cradle with a plug in gps or the 2350s cradle with integrated serial GPS or you maybe could put your call on treo speakerphone or use a wired headset.

I realize that when you accept a call in the middle of a tom tom session, tom tom quits, but couldn't you just put your call on speakerphone, go to applications and then restart tom tom and then have your call and tom tom functioning at the same time?

Has anyone tried this?
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
    That doesn't sound like something that would be very safe.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
    That doesn't sound like something that would be very safe.
    You could just assign that side button to Tom Tom so when a call comes in, take the call, then just hit the side button and hit the "I agree" button.

Seems pretty easy (if it works)

I also have my treo mounted with a pro-clip mount and holder and it is mounted high on my dash, so I dont have to take my eyes off the road.
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
    In your case I'd vote for standalone.
    Quote Originally Posted by car_designer
    You could just assign that side button to Tom Tom so when a call comes in, take the call, then just hit the side button and hit the "I agree" button.
    Why do you need to 'I agree'? you should only need do that the first time ttn is run.

I use a BT carkit with a wired gps receiver. when a call comes in, call is automatically answered, ttn restarts automatically & gives visual directions until call is ended, then back to spoken directions as well.

Simple!
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Holux GPSlim236 GPS BT receiver & Tom Tom v5.201
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    I've ordered the EMTAC bluetooth GPS device; I'll give it a run and if its not suitable then I'll return it and go with the standalone. If the call interrupt function is acceptable then it might work. I also like the idea of it being small and compact. Its arriving tomorrow and I have a road trip to an unfamiliar town 30 miles away on Thursday; if you've ever been lost in Jersey you'll understand.
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeProcter
    Why do you need to 'I agree'? you should only need do that the first time ttn is run.

I use a BT carkit with a wired gps receiver. when a call comes in, call is automatically answered, ttn restarts automatically & gives visual directions until call is ended, then back to spoken directions as well.

Simple!
    I'm interested in a similar setup. Do you use the Treo's speakerphone for the directions in nav mode?

Thanks,
    elbastardocalvo
    elbastardocalvo
    Quote Originally Posted by elbastardocalvo
    I'm interested in a similar setup. Do you use the Treo's speakerphone for the directions in nav mode?

Thanks,
    elbastardocalvo
    Yes I do. It is plenty loud enough.
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Holux GPSlim236 GPS BT receiver & Tom Tom v5.201
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeProcter
    Yes I do. It is plenty loud enough.

Cool, thanks.
    elbastardocalvo
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Well, I received by EMTAC Bluetooth GPS unit and am quite impressed. The mapping software works great and the unit itself is very small! After receiving a call the unit picks back up after only 10 seconds or so from where it left off. All files run smoothly from the SD card and are quite accurate. My only issue is whether or not its possible to use the TomTom software and/or the price tag is worth the nicer graphics.
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
    Ask yourself this: do you rely moreo

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
    Ask yourself this: do you rely more on voice prompts or the map itself? If it is the voice prompts then the answer is no.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case