Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello,

I am hoping someone here can help me. I took my treo 650 into a Sprint store for a minor problem. When I returned I was told that I would be receiving a new 650. When I said I wanted my old 650 to retrieve some data, I was told that they had (without my knowledge or authorization) performed a hard reset and all the data was lost.

(Once before I had taken the treo in for service and when I came back I was told that they could not work on it because I had not authorized a hard reset. So I know that getting prior approval is standard procedure before performing a hard reset.)

(I know I should have synced it up but the sync software was not working properly (data being dropped from my phone after syncing).)

I use the treo for business and had literally 100s of contacts. I build houses for a living and several of the subs names and tel #s were in there. One in particular installs roofs, only has a cell phone for contact, and had recently given me (over the phone) a bid that was almost $20K less that my other best bid. Bottom line, the information in the phone was VERY valuable to me. (Believe me I am REALLY kicking myself for not treating it more valuably.)

Sprint store rep referred me to the mgr who offered $25 credit and after hearing that this would not cut it, referred me to *2 while trying to usher me out the door. I asked if any of this was documented. He said “no.” I said, “that’s ridiculous, then it’s my word only that this even happened when I call *2.” I demanded that he document this and watched over his shoulder as he recorded the experience. I then had him print out a copy and give it to me.

“RCC did not inform customer of hard re-set on treo phone prior to the tech work being preformed. Customer lost all date and was very upset about the loss. Informed customer of $25 credit we can apply in store to the account. Customer said this credit was not sufficient for the loss incurred. Customer is going to call customer care to receive compensation for the loss.”

I searched the net and found references to a class action lawsuit against palm one re: hard reset. I could not find anything re: when the service provider does an unauthorized hard reset.

Any thoughts? Anyone know of this happening to someone else and what the outcome was. I know I erred greatly by not having the very important data backed up. In the future I think I’ll get a SD disk and use back up software.

I am not someone looking to get ahead here, but they were responsible for not following procedure.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Bill
    Global Posts
    1,272 Global Posts
    Thats sucks but you learned a valuable lesson about backup...

Would like to know if you get anywhere with your complaint
    Sprint Nazi will say "No help for you" They have so many disclaimers on their service that your lucky you got $25. I'm sure there is a disclaimer that says they are only responsible to change the phone. Kind of like train and airplane ticket that says they are only responsible for taking you there, not responsible for anything resulting from delays.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anami
    ...I know I erred greatly by not having the very important data backed up...

...but they were responsible for not following procedure...
    Unfortunately, you are out of luck. This would be like trying to sue Microsoft when the computer crashed the night before your term paper was due.

People ALWAYS underestimate the importance of backing up the data until they learn the hard way. The good news is that this will never happen to you again...

For Sprint's part, I think this blunder is worth at least a months free service. Their techs are supposed to get an authorization so that people fully understand their data will be lost, and can decide if it is worth the risk.
  5.    #5  
    Sprint called and offered to have nights & weeekends start @ 7 pm rather than 9 pm and offered to wipe out my current bill, plus next months (~$250).

Said that their "system" would not allow much flexiblility re: other give-aways. They had a few "codes" they could use to satisfy customers and that was all they could do.

Tried to get 12 months free service (NO!) Tried to get 3rd line added for daughter (no). Tried to get vision service added free (no), tried to get next level of service for lower level price (no).

They said that on the original contract there are disclaimers I agreed to that essentially relieves them of responsibility.

Any other thoughts?
    Buy backupman. It's cheap and it works. The last thing I do before I hand my phone to sprint is run the program and then put the SD in my pocket. That way if they screw it up, I can get another one and be on my way in a few minutes. It's a lifesaver.
    Have you ever done a backup? If you had, you be able to recover some data.
    anami...im really sorry...but also most companies state that if/when you send in a hardware for repair, they are not responsible for lost data...it was your duty to make sure you had a backup

But here is an example...i went to send my ipod in for repair...it said explicity that I should make sure to make a backup of all my data as they are not responsible for it if it gets purged

and again sorry for this...even though this was done with sprintpcs, it is the palm warranty that they use (run by): http://www.palm.com/us/support/conta...ty_Treo650.pdf
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Sprint called and offered to have nights & weeekends start @ 7 pm rather than 9 pm and offered to wipe out my current bill, plus next months (~$250).

...Any other thoughts?
    Take the money and run (trust but verify).

I'm sure they are well protected by disclaimers that you signed along the way.
    I agree. Take the money and run. Use $14 of that money to buy a good backup program. I like Resco Backup. Saved my **** this weekend...

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Backups are important all the time but especially when handing your phone to a store employee. You may think that they are there to serve you but in fact they were placed on Earth with the sole purpose of implementing Murphy's Law.
  12. MMT
    Start browsing past phone bills to try to recover some of your lost phone numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voices Carry
    Have you ever done a backup? If you had, you be able to recover some data.
    exactly what I was thinking. Haven't you ever Hotsynced your phone? If you have you should have your contacts backed up on you PC. Just re-hotsync.
    Yes, some of your data may be recoverable with a Hot Sync. Whenever you last did a Hot Sync, whatever data was synched should still be there.

I have to disagree somewhat with some of the other posters. I DO think they should have made it very clear that they may erase your data, instead of assuming you already knew this. Or gotten a clear authorization, like they were supposed to. And yes THEY are more responsible than you are IMO, because of unauthorized action on their part! But of course they probably did all they could to get out of it with their damn disclaimer, which for the most part usually means freedom to do whatever!!

I'm really sorry this happened to you!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    anami...im really sorry...but also most companies state that if/when you send in a hardware for repair, they are not responsible for lost data...it was your duty to make sure you had a backup

But here is an example...i went to send my ipod in for repair...it said explicity that I should make sure to make a backup of all my data as they are not responsible for it if it gets purged

and again sorry for this...even though this was done with sprintpcs, it is the palm warranty that they use (run by): http://www.palm.com/us/support/conta...ty_Treo650.pdf
    And how often do most companies really make that explicitly clear? Apple has good customer service so I'm not surprised they took the time out to make it clear to you.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I use the treo for business and had literally 100s of contacts. I build houses for a living and several of the subs names and tel #s were in there. One in particular installs roofs, only has a cell phone for contact, and had recently given me (over the phone) a bid that was almost $20K less that my other best bid. Bottom line, the information in the phone was VERY valuable to me. (Believe me I am REALLY kicking myself for not treating it more valuably.)

Sprint store rep referred me to the mgr who offered $25 credit and after hearing that this would not cut it, referred me to *2 while trying to usher me out the door. I asked if any of this was documented. He said “no.” I said, “that’s ridiculous, then it’s my word only that this even happened when I call *2.” I demanded that he document this and watched over his shoulder as he recorded the experience. I then had him print out a copy and give it to me.
    You got off easy with Sprint, believe me. What they did was not very customer friendly (you would think that with the number of phones they work with it should be in the script), but to test the phones they hose your data and there are warnings.

I've been screwed over by them myself, one incident they "accidentally" threatened to cut off my 5 phones within a few hours if I didn't immediately produce two thousand dollars that I didn't owe them. Tens of hours of my time, a week later and quite a few expenses, and they kindly left my phones on. If I were to cancel MY service it's about $700 in penalties, Sprint got off for $100 bucks - BECAUSE THEY CAN. It's a big company, and they don't give a damn about you until you leave - only then do they have any way to make things right.

Your first error was to trust so much important information to a mobile electronic device without a sufficient backup routine. If sprint hadn't hosed your data, you could have lost it, dropped it, etc.

Save your heart and take the $25 bucks, you'll do better than trying to reform Sprint. It can't be done. Your data is lost.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    No his first error was using Sprint. Although he didn't realize it. Yes he should have backed up his info, but that doesn't excuse Sprint's really bad customer service!! How long does it take to inform people that all their data could be lost? AND ask for an authorization when they're supposed to! Why people excuse this company constantly just because they have lower rates is beyond me!! And $25 is ****!! That's an INSULT! Now the wiping out of 2 months worth of bills is better!

There are 4 types ways of reseting a Treo 650:

http://mytreo.net/treofaq/Treo650Resetting

If the Sprint store did #3 and not #4, you *might* have a chance with getting the data recovered at one of those data recovery places. The costs can get *very* expensive, but if the data is that valuable to you and you have no other way to recover it, it can prove to be worth it. I don't have any personal experience with any of these companies, but if you do a google search for "pda data recovery" I'm sure you can get the general idea. As long as the data isn't zero'd out, there is a slight chance that they can recover the data. The more you use your phone, the harder it can be recover data so you may want to act quickly on this.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    if yo google "locate cell", there are services that will provide a report of all the calls made from a particular number over the last month (casts $100). The services are actually for investigators, but it will give you the data you need.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    I have to ask.... But if these contacts are so important for your business/work needs, why would you not have looked into some backup process especially since you say syncing was losing data? I know it's not your fault what happened at the store, but any number of things could have happened outside that could have made you lose data (a glitch for example).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast