Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    There are millions of folks just like anami walking around. They have integrated technology into their business and personal lives but have no clue how it all works and so have no idea what can go wrong. They are doctors and lawyers and developers and store owners.

They know a lot about their respective fields but little to nothing about computers. They know enough to get into trouble!

That said, the treatment of anami by the carrier is, sadly, not surprising. Many of the people working on the front lines are not ultra high quality. They are often young college students working on stuff they are passionate about but have little overall experience. Sure accidents happen. Perhaps the tech was confused about which phone he reset or just forgot because the store was really busy that day.

Every day we read in the paper about people going to jail for trading stocks on inside information or massaging the accounting data for a company. Information is important folks! In a world where we all have the same technology available to us, information is the only thing left to use as a competitive advantage.
    my 2 cents

If you hand over your "important business info" to someone you just met for whatever reason, and didnt secure that info before doing so, youre a dumbass. Sorry thats harsh, but why would you exepct every Sprint employee to be the same and ask about the hard reset. They are all different. Some of them have never even seen a treo.

Again, your "important business info" is only important if you back it up. If you dont think its important enough to back up then whats the issue? You obviously werent worried abput losing it or you would have backed it up.

It amazes me the number of people that think everyone else is responsible for their stuff or that electronic devices are infallible.

Sorry no sympathy for you here.

To Lady Treo..You think any ther carrier would have done a better job? Prove it! They all suck and they all employ morons.
    Quote Originally Posted by anami
    Sprint called and offered to have nights & weeekends start @ 7 pm rather than 9 pm and offered to wipe out my current bill, plus next months (~$250).

Said that their "system" would not allow much flexiblility re: other give-aways. They had a few "codes" they could use to satisfy customers and that was all they could do.

Tried to get 12 months free service (NO!) Tried to get 3rd line added for daughter (no). Tried to get vision service added free (no), tried to get next level of service for lower level price (no).

They said that on the original contract there are disclaimers I agreed to that essentially relieves them of responsibility.

Any other thoughts?
    Take their offer and run.....I would assume that you must have synched your phone with a computer at some point you should not have a total loss of data. Just take the new phone and sync it with your existing profile and you should get everything back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    my 2 cents

If you hand over your "important business info" to someone you just met for whatever reason, and didnt secure that info before doing so, youre a dumbass. Sorry thats harsh, but why would you exepct every Sprint employee to be the same and ask about the hard reset. They are all different. Some of them have never even seen a treo.

Again, your "important business info" is only important if you back it up. If you dont think its important enough to back up then whats the issue? You obviously werent worried abput losing it or you would have backed it up.

It amazes me the number of people that think everyone else is responsible for their stuff or that electronic devices are infallible.

Sorry no sympathy for you here.

To Lady Treo..You think any ther carrier would have done a better job? Prove it! They all suck and they all employ morons.
    I agree!
    OK, we've all beaten up this guy enough!! How many people need to say "you should have backed up your info"? I'm sure he gets it now! Perhaps he didn't realize they would erase data because no one ever made it clear. It only takes 2 minutes at the most for the person who took the phone in to say "you should have a back up copy of your data because we may have to delete it" because clearly not everyone knows off the bat! Like another poster above said, people aren't always tech savvy. I hope he did Hot Sync because he can recover some data.

As for other companies, I don't trust ANY in the first place! I would actually back up the data on my hard drive and do a hard reset myself(or at least delete the info off the device), because who knows what they would do with your data?? But that's just me.

And I think they ARE responsible for YOUR property because it's entrusted to them. Otherwise they could lose or steal your stuff, then claim they have no responsibilty because you chose to hand your property over to them!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Lady, you are right and we are probably beating up on him too much. However, I'm going to continue it because it is so so important. For $10, you can never lose a file again. I have my Treo back itself up (not me back it up) every night while I'm sleeping. Therefore, unless I lose it, it is impossible for me to ever lose more than 24 hours worth of data. That $10 payment will save hundreds/thousands in headaches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    OK, we've all beaten up this guy enough!! How many people need to say "you should have backed up your info"? I'm sure he gets it now! Perhaps he didn't realize they would erase data because no one ever made it clear. It only takes 2 minutes at the most for the person who took the phone in to say "you should have a back up copy of your data because we may have to delete it" because clearly not everyone knows off the bat! Like another poster above said, people aren't always tech savvy. I hope he did Hot Sync because he can recover some data.

As for other companies, I don't trust ANY in the first place! I would actually back up the data on my hard drive and do a hard reset myself(or at least delete the info off the device), because who knows what they would do with your data?? But that's just me.

And I think they ARE responsible for YOUR property because it's entrusted to them. Otherwise they could lose or steal your stuff, then claim they have no responsibilty because you chose to hand your property over to them!
    Thanks for letting us know when enough is enough. I guess that means than anyone else who has an opinion that concurs with the majority of us should just avoid responding because according to LT we have reach the limit. rolleyes:

Regardless of whether you think the store is resposible or not, you should always ensure your data is secure before letting anyone eklse touch your treo. If this had been a friend that reset this treo then what recourse would the OP have? None!! So to be safe, cover your own rear end before your treo ends up in a potentially dangerous scenario. This, ladies and gentlemen, is know as COMMON SENSE! If you dont have any, get some or get a phone that doesnt require any.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Lady, you are right and we are probably beating up on him too much. However, I'm going to continue it because it is so so important. For $10, you can never lose a file again. I have my Treo back itself up (not me back it up) every night while I'm sleeping. Therefore, unless I lose it, it is impossible for me to ever lose more than 24 hours worth of data. That $10 payment will save hundreds/thousands in headaches.
    Amen brother!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jgm
    Backups are important all the time but especially when handing your phone to a store employee. You may think that they are there to serve you but in fact they were placed on Earth with the sole purpose of implementing Murphy's Law.
    As one of those employees...yeah, ok. You're right.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Thanks for letting us know when enough is enough. I guess that means than anyone else who has an opinion that concurs with the majority of us should just avoid responding because according to LT we have reach the limit. rolleyes:
    I hope you never makes mistakes because I'd hate to be in your shoes if you do and people start piling up on the judgements against you!

No wonder that guy never responded!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  11. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    My Treo has hard reset itself multiple times without any action from me or a store employee. I've never lost more than a day of data because of it (Rescobackup is the best!) but I wish I knew somebody I could get free stuff from every time it happens!

Giving your phone to somebody else to work on is scary, but remember that the Treo650 can have a hard reset while sitting perfectly still in the middle of the night, so regular backups are a good idea even when you don't think something particularly risky is going to happen to your data.

Sorry about your loss. Hope you're able to recover some of it.
    I hope you never makes mistakes because I'd hate to be in your shoes if you do and people start piling up on the judgements against you!

No wonder that guy never responded!!
    I make mistakes all the time. If I am big enough to post them on a forum for public response (which I have done here on occasion) I realize I will get all sorts of responses. I don't let it affect me if someone says what I did was stupid because I am usually the first one to say that. By posting here you are acknowledging that not all responses will be sweet and wonderful. These aren't judgements of the OP, they opinions on the comments he made. No one said he was stupid or wrong or anything. They (including me) said it was really irresponsible, stupid, foolish, silly, whatever to hand over his phone full of important info w/o first making sure it was safely backed up. Just because you do something less than brilliant once in awhile doesnt make you stupid.

Why is it that some people cant just post their opinion on a subject and leave it at that? Why must they decide to play opinion police in the interest of sparing the OP feelings? As to him not responding, what would he need to respond to. We all pretty much said take the offer they gave and write it off as a lesson. Maybe youre waiting for him to come back and tell us all how this makes him feel?

As for me, pile on whatever judgements you like. I don't care. Your opinion of me isn't what makes my day. In fact it has no bearing whatsoever.
    Let's just agree to disagree on this subject.

And how often do most companies really make that explicitly clear? Apple has good customer service so I'm not surprised they took the time out to make it clear to you.
    far and few between...but you got to love it eh...written in some cryptic language...
    Now that I read his original post again, he already DID say he knows he should have backed up his info. I just don't think he realized Sprint could(or would) erase his data without his permission. So maybe he placed too much faith in Sprint? He made a mistake, we all do.

FWIW, I sometimes intentially reset my device before handing it to a support person. It takes away their annoying "its all this software you've installed on here" argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    FWIW, I sometimes intentially reset my device before handing it to a support person. It takes away their annoying "its all this software you've installed on here" argument.
    Exactly what I do. Make a backup to my card, hard reset, remove the card and hand them the device. Seems kinda obvious...
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    wow...didn't have a backup and sprint pays him $250

All of us that bought backup apps sure are chumps
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12