Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    I have my preferences set up to sort by: Manual but sometimes when I write a new memo it isn't place at the end of all memos. It goes to the one before the last memo. Also, It bothers me the fact that I cannot move my memos/docs manually to any place I want. Before WS, when I was using the built-in memo I was able to move my memos to any place I wanted to, and I never had a problem with memos been misplaced.

Please add this usefull feature and correct the misplace memo problem.

Thanks

Al
    The explanation of how WordSmith data files are organized over on PDASquare was very interesting, and helped me understand why you have to re-load the files all the time. I still think that you could cache enough information to avoid most of the delays, and let people edit mostly in-place, but of course you guys have the code and I don't.

(the thread has been deleted, but basically they build an explicit tree describing the whole file, and then perform edits on that)
    Rev. Peter da Silva, ULC<br>
    <a href=http://www.taronga.com/~peter/>Ar rug tú barróg ar do mhactíre inniu?</a>
    I installed WordSmith and it worked great. Then after I transfer an existing Word document to my Visor, I can't open WordSmith. I just get a blank screen and have to do a soft reset. This happens even with all hacks disabled. If I remove the document I am again able to open WordSmith. Any ideas? Am I missing something obvious?
    Wordsmith needs to have enough room to build the "tree" I mentioned in the previous message. How much free RAM do you have?
    <a href=http://www.taronga.com/~peter/>Ar rug tú barróg ar do mhactíre inniu?</a>
    I've got around 800kb left. The document is only 2Kb. I would think that would be enough...
    I would tend to agree. That does sound excessive. :->
    Originally posted by Jupe
    I installed WordSmith and it worked great. Then after I transfer an existing Word document to my Visor, I can't open WordSmith. I just get a blank screen and have to do a soft reset. This happens even with all hacks disabled. If I remove the document I am again able to open WordSmith. Any ideas? Am I missing something obvious?
    I have nothing to add except that I'm having the same problem! I'm trying to load in documents created with Office 97.
    Geoff Parker
    geoff_p@pacbell.net
    I have been piddling around with WordSmith since my Stowaway purchase yesterday (very proud).

Seemed to be working fine--I don't know enough about it yet to discover any little bugs, but after lunch today I hit on the WordSmith icon to open program and got a blank screen, and had to soft reset to get any response from VDX. Happened twice.

I have deleted Wordsmith from VDX and will reinstall. Also, there is no pulldown Wordsmith menu in my MS Word, so I wonder if my install was good.
    Originally posted by K. Cannon
    I have been piddling around with WordSmith since my Stowaway purchase yesterday (very proud).

Seemed to be working fine--I don't know enough about it yet to discover any little bugs, but after lunch today I hit on the WordSmith icon to open program and got a blank screen, and had to soft reset to get any response from VDX. Happened twice.

I believe I have located and fixed this problem. I have also improved support for memory cards so you should be able to take the cards out and put them back in without WS forgetting the category.

As an added bonus, Alexander sped up the HotSync logic.

Please download and install the latest version (1.0d).

Scott Maxwell
    Quik Sense Software
    Scott:
    Thanks so much for the prompt reply---but your suggestion is too late. While you were telling me to download the latest version, I was busy purchasing it on your web site.

Also, I notice that any doc documents that are read by WordSmith lose the category designation I had them under in iSilo. (Obviously, the iSilo documents are not affected.)

If the customer responsiveness I have seen in this thread is any indication, your product will most likely be the best one I have on my VDX.

Thanks again,
    Kelley
    Originally posted by acajigas
    I have my preferences set up to sort by: Manual but sometimes when I write a new memo it isn't place at the end of all memos. It goes to the one before the last memo. Also, It bothers me the fact that I cannot move my memos/docs manually to any place I want. Before WS, when I was using the built-in memo I was able to move my memos to any place I wanted to, and I never had a problem with memos been misplaced.

Please add this usefull feature and correct the misplace memo problem.
    I hope they don't forget about me.

Thanks

Al
    I purchased Documents to Go and have been using it with my Visor deluxe and my Go Type keyboard. I am very discouraged with it, however. The speed at which I type is too fast for the software to keep up. When I pause, the words begin to jumble and become mispelled; and by the end of my paragraph, one can hardly tell what I began to write.

Does Word Smith (or perhaps MegaDoc or maybe Quick Office) do a better job of keeping up with the keystrokes on the keyboard or is this a hardware problem with the Go Type?

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Originally posted by tmsirvent
    I purchased Documents to Go and have been using it with my Visor deluxe and my Go Type keyboard. I am very discouraged with it, however. The speed at which I type is too fast for the software to keep up. When I pause, the words begin to jumble and become mispelled; and by the end of my paragraph, one can hardly tell what I began to write.

Does Word Smith (or perhaps MegaDoc or maybe Quick Office) do a better job of keeping up with the keystrokes on the keyboard or is this a hardware problem with the Go Type?

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    This is a well documented problem with Documents to Go (search the discussion archive if you want to read more about it). I have not seen this probem at all with WordSmith (clearly the best ) or with QuickWord.

I should note that I am using a Stowaway, but I am not aware of any differences from the GoType with regard to these issues.

- Ryan
    Originally posted by Scott Maxwell
    Scott and Alexander,

One minor observation... can you post the current version number on your website so that we can tell if we have the latest one? Currently it just says version 1.0 (and I'm wondering if I missed revs B and C ).
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    A couple of days ago I posted mentioning that the tab key does not work for me in Wordsmith. The response was to download new drivers from Thinkoutside.

Welp, I've downloaded the drivers from Thinkoutside about 3 times now, and I've also downloaded the drivers from Targus' website at least twice. I've deleted the drivers from my Visor and done a soft rest every time.

I even went to my backup folder and made absolutely sure there were no old drivers in it.

I don't run any hacks. The only thing that I'm aware of that I'm running in the background is JOT and Word Comp. I tried disabling both, no go.

I've noticed that instead of "tabbing" the tab key simply moves the cursor forward one space. (I experimented by hitting tab 5 times, returning and spacing 5 times.)

So now what should I try?

Thanks
    There has never been a winner who hasn't fallen, there's never been a loser that got back up.

Dave
    Thanks for the continuing improvement of your product. I have a suggestion to speed up the installation of future updates. If the only program being upgraded is Wordsmith.prc, can you offer the option of downloading that file only, instead of the complete installation file. This will be appreciated for a couple of reasons: I am still in the stone age of a 28.8 modem (which means an approximately 15 minute download) and if I forget to uninstall the previous version before upgrading I clutter up my add/remove box within Windows 98. Is this feasible?

Tom
    Originally posted by DaveTheSane
    A couple of days ago I posted mentioning that the tab key does not work for me in Wordsmith. The response was to download new drivers from Thinkoutside.
    I think you missed the second part of the message. It said that the tab key should definitely work if you have the latest drivers but that it currently only inserts a space. Tabs are a non-trivial feature (who'd have thought) that we will be adding in version 1.1.

So, you're not crazy. It's just not implemented yet. Coming soon.

Scott Maxwell
    Quik Sense Software
    Originally posted by Scott Maxwell
    Originally posted by DaveTheSane
    I think you missed the second part of the message. It said that the tab key should definitely work if you have the latest drivers but that it currently only inserts a space. Tabs are a non-trivial feature (who'd have thought) that we will be adding in version 1.1.

So, you're not crazy. It's just not implemented yet. Coming soon.

Scott Maxwell
    Quik Sense Software
    My mistake, sorry, I somehow got it in my head that when you hit tab it inserted five spaces.

Having been rather humbly reminded to read an entire post or response, let me again restate that you have a splendid product. (And I am eagerly awaiting version 1.1.)
    There has never been a winner who hasn't fallen, there's never been a loser that got back up.

Dave
    "I believe I have located and fixed this problem. I have also improved support for memory cards so you should be able to take the cards out and put them back in without WS forgetting the category.

As an added bonus, Alexander sped up the HotSync logic.

Scott Maxwell
    Quik Sense Software"

I have a question regarding downloading and installing the latest version (1.0d). I'm a registered user of WordSmith and currently have version 1.0b (I think). Is it suggested that registered users install each new version as they becomes available? I know that means going through the complete installation process again and I'm wondering if that's necessary. I'm not having problems with WordSmith, but 'faster HotSync logic' sounds pretty good. I assume it's no big deal to reinstall everything.

I'm delighted with WordSmith and as many have previously mentioned, it's the program I've been waiting for. I've had no problems with installations or in use. I did have a small quirk a few days after registering Wordsmith, where I couldn't type the first letter of a sentence (in WordSmith) for a while and my ability to use punctuation suddenly ended (using Graffiti). I had been using a trial version of FitalyHack, which I had turned off (it had just expired) and punctuation ceased to work in any program. After switching FitalyHack back on and doing a soft reset everything worked fine - although it didn't magically give me another 30 days to demo FitalyHack. It doesn't seem to be a problem anymore, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Thanks for your help.

Craig

ps - can someone tell me how to reply to a specific posting? I know I didn't do this one correctly and I'm not finding any mention of what to do.
    Originally posted by cvstevens
    I have a question regarding downloading and installing the latest version (1.0d). I'm a registered user of WordSmith and currently have version 1.0b (I think). Is it suggested that registered users install each new version as they becomes available? I know that means going through the complete installation process again and I'm wondering if that's necessary. I'm not having problems with WordSmith, but 'faster HotSync logic' sounds pretty good. I assume it's no big deal to reinstall everything.
    Yes, you can just install over the old version. Although sometimes the conduit will not have changed, at this early stage we are making minor adjustments to both the Palm and PC side so it is best to play it safe and reinstall everything.

ps - can someone tell me how to reply to a specific posting? I know I didn't do this one correctly and I'm not finding any mention of what to do.
    Just hit the 'Quote' button at the top of the post.

Scott Maxwell
    Quik Sense Software
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast