Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Originally posted by ahinds
    We just posted beta3, which we hope should solve this problem - it looks like a hairy PalmOS bug, which we had to work around. If it doesn't, please let us know!
    It's a vast improvement! I have done about 8 or 9 syncs (WordSmith conduit only) this morning adding, editing, deleting, etc. However, I did receive one SystemMgr error at the conclusion of a HotSync (the Visor was displaying "HotSync operation complete."). There were no error messages in the log.

My fingers are crossed.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Hi Alexander,

Could you explain the PalmOS bug?

Thanks,

rick
    I'm having hotsync difficulties with b3 that I did not have with b2 (I'm a registered user). I have both Install Buddy and Backup Buddy installed. If I create a Wordsmith Document, the hotsync operation interrupts during the synchronizing Wordsmith step. I get 3 error messages:

-- Unable to retrieve list of Palm organizer files
    OK WordSmith
    Conduit 'InstallBuddy' Error: Unknown error. (FFFF)
    HotSync Error: Unknown error. (FFFF)

This results in two annoyances: I can't transfer my Wordsmith documents to Word AND Backup buddy does not activate. Once this happens I have been able to get a clean hotsync by deleting WordSmith totally. If I then re-install, all is fine until I once again create a Wordsmith document.

Your help is definitely appreciated.
    Originally posted by Sequitor
    I get 3 error messages:

OK WordSmith

This results in two annoyances: I can't transfer my Wordsmith documents to Word AND Backup buddy does not activate. Once this happens I have been able to get a clean hotsync by deleting WordSmith totally. If I then re-install, all is fine until I once again create a Wordsmith document.
    I'm using BB and IB along with WS and have not experienced this particular error (knocking on wood, crossing fingers, legs, and toes, etc... ). I did have one of the SystemMgr errors as I stated above, but have successfully created and edited documents on both the Visor and desktop several times today. I've synced well over a dozen times today and so far, so good... (if my next sync fails, I might not make it to the new year )

---

On a side note, I'd like to reiterate my feelings about the extremely high level of support we've seen from Blue Nomad. I received an email from them with a timestamp of 3:12 a.m EST this morning. That would be midnight for them as they're on the west coast. Midnight on a Saturday of a holiday weekend and they're working on fixes and posting new beta versions. I've never personally experienced this from any other developer before and I commend them for their efforts.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    i installed worsmith beta 12-30 and it is one of the best programs on my visor. it rocks when used with the stowaway keyboard. i upgraded from the 12-25 build to the 12-30 build after a user id soft reset error with the 12-25. i have no problems with this version and will probably purchase it soon
    all around good guy

brandon
    drop me a line
    I am having the same problems syncing with Wordsmith that Sequitor is having (I am also a registered user).

I started getting an error message about the hotsync not completing when I hotsynced to install the beta. Based on the Log, Backup Buddy is not running with "b3" installed. I can only get BB to run if I delete Wordsmith from my Prism. Otherwise, the sync stalls out and I get the following error:

"-- Unable to retrieve list of Palm organizer files
    OK WordSmith
    HotSync Error: Unknown error. (FFFF)"

Hopefully this is a simple fix.

Please post if you are having problems with the newest version of the beta.

Originally posted by Sequitor
    I'm having hotsync difficulties with b3 that I did not have with b2 (I'm a registered user). I have both Install Buddy and Backup Buddy installed. If I create a Wordsmith Document, the hotsync operation interrupts during the synchronizing Wordsmith step. I get 3 error messages:

OK WordSmith

Your help is definitely appreciated.
    I'm having problems with B3 as well, but my problems aren't with Install Buddy or Backup Buddy (I don't have those programs). My problem is with Pocket Quicken's conduit. I start a hotsync operation and as soon as HotSync Manager gets to Pocket Quicken, it halts with this in the Log:

HotSync operation started 12/31/00 19:08:31
    OK Install
    OK Outlook Calendar
    OK Outlook Contacts
    OK Outlook Tasks
    OK Outlook Notes
    OK WordSmith
    Conduit 'Pocket Quicken' Error: Unknown error. (FFFF)
    HotSync operation complete 12/31/2000 07:08:52 PM

It appears that whatever is going wrong with WS B3, it affects any third-party conduit. This error appeared immediately following the installation of Beta3.

System: Windows 2000 Pro, MS Word 2000, HS Visor Prism with Palm OS 3.5.2H1.

On the plus side, I like the WS icons letting me know which files have been converted.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    While I like this program, I'm disappointed that it's not compatible with SelectHack. I've become dependent on the convenience of the double-tap to select a word or the triple-tap to select a paragraph, as in my desktop word processing programs.

Since the developer is monitoring this thread: Why? Did you intentionally shut it off, or is that a byproduct of some other programming feature? (My other favorite word-processing shortcut, PopHack, still works inside Wordsmith.) Did you include another way of easily selecting a word or paragraph, or are you planning to implement one?

Also, when are you planning to introduce the Mac conduit? I don't use the backup conduit, preferring to use my backup module instead, so my Wordsmith files (including DOCs that I've modifed with Wordsmith) are stranded on my VDX.
    Originally posted by Henry328
    I am having the same problems syncing with Wordsmith that Sequitor is having (I am also a registered user).

I started getting an error message about the hotsync not completing when I hotsynced to install the beta. Based on the Log, Backup Buddy is not running with "b3" installed. I can only get BB to run if I delete Wordsmith from my Prism. Otherwise, the sync stalls out and I get the following error:

"-- Unable to retrieve list of Palm organizer files
    OK WordSmith
    HotSync Error: Unknown error. (FFFF)"

Hopefully this is a simple fix.
    This problem (actually two issues) has been id'd and fixed. I am working on a few other issues and hope to upload a new build soon.

I will post here when it's ready ;-)

Alexander
    I have the same problem as Insp_Gadget.
    The conduit that dies is Bonsai.

OK WordSmith
    OK Mobile Application Link
    Conduit 'Natara Bonsai' Error: Unknown error. (FFFF)
    HotSync operation complete 12/31/00 10:40:38

This error appeared immediately following the installation of Beta3.

System: Windows 2000 Pro, HS Visor Prism with Palm OS 3.5.2H1.

Cheers,

rick

Originally posted by rosswords
    While I like this program, I'm disappointed that it's not compatible with SelectHack. I've become dependent on the convenience of the double-tap to select a word or the triple-tap to select a paragraph, as in my desktop word processing programs.

Since the developer is monitoring this thread: Why? Did you intentionally shut it off, or is that a byproduct of some other programming feature? (My other favorite word-processing shortcut, PopHack, still works inside Wordsmith.) Did you include another way of easily selecting a word or paragraph, or are you planning to implement one?

Also, when are you planning to introduce the Mac conduit? I don't use the backup conduit, preferring to use my backup module instead, so my Wordsmith files (including DOCs that I've modifed with Wordsmith) are stranded on my VDX.
    WS does not use the PalmOS field objects ("controls") to do rendering or editing because the PalmOS fields don't support rich text. We have some facilities to try and let certain hacks that depend on the field work, but not all will (they have to be *very* well behaved) as they are modifing the OS in an unsupported way. There was basicially no way to write a rich-text word processor and allow all these hacks to work. :-(

WS does support single & double-tap, as well as tap & hold (select word/sentence/paragraph).

We have begun work on the Mac conduit (it compiles ;-), but we're trying to get the first release a bit more solid first ;-) The code base is the same for the Win & Mac conduit, so theoretically the Mac port should not be difficult - but what we discovered is that the Mac conduit development kit is missing *a lot* of synchronization calls that are available on Windows. This will slow down the development of the Mac conduit, unless Palm fixes these shortcomings first ;-)

Alexander
    Did you include another way of easily selecting a word or paragraph, or are you planning to implement one?
    From the WordSmith manual (page 8):
    Select text by tapping at the beginning of the first word of the text and dragging it to the end of the last word. Alternatively, you can quickly select a word by tapping and holding in the center of the word. If you continue to hold, you can select the line of text and holding further will result in selecting the paragraph. Your selected text will now be highlighted.
    I, too, was upset that SelectHack didn't function inside of WS, but once you get the hang of WS's selection method, it's relatively easy.
    MarkEagle
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    Guys & Gals-

I have just posted the 12/31/00 build of beta3.

It should solve all the bugs reported today, and includes what I hope is a permanent fix for the SystemMgr crashing error.

Thanks again for all your help.

Alexander

p.s. If you happen to find any bugs with this build, please don't let me know until 1/2. ;-)

Originally posted by ahinds
    I have just posted the 12/31/00 build of beta3.
    Got it and installed it... so far, so good! A great way to start the New Year!

Again, my hat's off to everyone on the WordSmith team!

MarkEagle
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    I've installed the new version of b3 and all is well. Their response goes way beyond the call of duty. This bug was fixed on the evening of New Years Eve!

This company deserves huge kudos (as previously noted by MarkEagle). In addition to my post here yesterday, I also emailed the company about the problem. I then received two replies to my email-the first to apoligize (how often have you gotten that from any company?) and the second to tell me the update was available for download. Let's reward them in the New Year and tell our friends about this product.

Tom
    Beta3 does appear to have fixed the problems! I'm impressed not only by the speed at which Blud Nomad's staff has been able to fix problems, but also with their customer service. It is so refreshing to feel like more than a number in a queue when dealing with support personnel.

The time taken to work with people on a personal level and to actually communicate with (as opposed to just talking at) people is commendable.

I registered as soon as I could. I have a number of Palm OS users in my office. You can be sure that I'll be singing the praises of this company to everyone.

Excellent!!
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Originally posted by MarkEagle
    Did you include another way of easily selecting a word or paragraph, or are you planning to implement one?
    From the WordSmith manual (page 8):
    Select text by tapping at the beginning of the first word of the text and dragging it to the end of the last word. Alternatively, you can quickly select a word by tapping and holding in the center of the word. If you continue to hold, you can select the line of text and holding further will result in selecting the paragraph. Your selected text will now be highlighted.
    I, too, was upset that SelectHack didn't function inside of WS, but once you get the hang of WS's selection method, it's relatively easy.
    Mea culpa! One more reason to always read the manual. Now that I've tried it, I actually prefer Wordsmith's tap-and-hold. Also, I found out that double-tapping does work in some Wordsmith functions like Paragraph Properties.

My hat goes off to AHinds for his incredible responsiveness, too. I can't believe he was still posting at 11pm on New Years Eve. Especially since this is just the VisorCentral board; I can only imagine how many boards he has to monitor in all.

Here's my $.02 for other features I'd like to see:

-Automatically entering selected text in the "find/replace" window. (Is that the "new feature on the horizon" you mention in the manual?)

-I'd love to see a capitalization feature like PeditPro's, which has on-screen buttons for initial-caps, lower-case or all-caps in selected text. IMHO, initial-caps is most important.

-I'd also like to see an on-screen icon for your terrific "full screen" option, so you can hide the title bar with one tap the same way you can hide the toolbar.

-Is there a keyboard shortcut for opening the menus? If so, I missed it.

All in all, bravo for a great program and terrific service -- from a dedicated PeditPro user who will definitely switch when you develop a Mac conduit. I guess I'll have to reward you by paying the $20 to register the beta now (not to mention to save another $20 later). Hope you stayed up a lot later and had a great New Year, AHinds!
    I'd also like to see an on-screen icon for your terrific "full screen" option, so you can hide the title bar with one tap the same way you can hide the toolbar.
    In the lower right-hand corner of display, tap the > icon.

Is there a keyboard shortcut for opening the menus? If so, I missed it.
    Ummm... doesn't your keyboard have a Menu key?

If you open the Edit menu and select Keyboard Shortcuts…, you get a list of all available keyboard shortcuts (also on pg 51 of the manual).

And, in WordSmith, you can navigate the menus with the scroll keys!
    MarkEagle
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    Originally posted by MarkEagle
    I'd also like to see an on-screen icon for your terrific "full screen" option, so you can hide the title bar with one tap the same way you can hide the toolbar.
    In the lower right-hand corner of display, tap the > icon.
    The > icon turns off only the toolbar, not the title bar, so it doesn't give you the full benefit of the wonderful "full screen" option. It would be great if that icon turned off both bars, or if there was a similar icon for the title bar, too.

Is there a keyboard shortcut for opening the menus? If so, I missed it.
    If you open the Edit menu and select Keyboard Shortcuts…, you get a list of all available keyboard shortcuts (also on pg 51 of the manual).

And, in WordSmith, you can navigate the menus with the scroll keys!
    The Keyboard Shortcuts menu item in WordSmith is actually incomplete. For example, it doesn't list any of the text selection shortcuts like Select Word or Select paragraph. Those are other examples of cool features in WordSmith that you have to actually read the manual to find out about, like the tap-hold option.
    If you have PalmOS 3.5 you will see some shortcuts in the toolbar by doing this "/" in the graffiti area. Also if you have the Stowaway keyboard, it has a nenu key on the right side.

Few question?
    1.Is there a way I could see my edited Memo files in my desktop without the html notation?

2.Is there a way I could browse through the memo/doc categories from my keyboard?

Thanks

Al