1.    #1  
    My P key has lost its feel and requires a firm push to work. Is this a common problem?

I guess I'm going to have to get Palm to fix this under waranty.
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Holux GPSlim236 GPS BT receiver & Tom Tom v5.201
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeProcter
    My P key has lost its feel and requires a firm push to work. Is this a common problem?

I guess I'm going to have to get Palm to fix this under waranty.
    Yes, unfortunately it is. (Search the forum, you'll find quite a few spongy "P" keys)
    When I sent my Treo to be repaired (dodgy Hotsync connector) I wrote a note to say the p-key was faulty. I was told they check the whole unit anyway. When I got it back it was still faulty!

I think they only repair it if the key stops working entirely.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    My P has been pretty crummy since the beggining. Happens too often to have to come back and write Ps before sending SMS
    Mine as well. It only happened on my third replacement. However, everything else works great so I just deal with the crappy P key.
    Unlocked Cingular Treo 650, HW Version A, FW 1.51, SW 1.17 CNG
    Quote Originally Posted by DanInSD
    Mine as well. It only happened on my third replacement. However, everything else works great so I just deal with the crappy P key.
    Hmm..my 3rd replacement is the same. Everything is great: screen, voice quality, vision speed...except for that damn "P".
    I just called Cingular warranty replacement today because my "p" key started acting strange this past week. (It just lost it's firm clicky feel. Also only intermittently registers the key presses) If you tell them that this is your problem it seems they will send you a warranty replacement without question. They appear to be used to it!

Since my 650 is 9 months old now... I figured a fresh start with a new or refurb unit was probably in order before the warranty runs out...

I just hope the new unit doesn't show up with more problems than my current 650.

Mark
    Interesting.

I just decided to do a search on this, but found this active thread. I am having problems with both my "M" key and the "." key. Both lost their clicky feel. The rest are fine. I have a feeling that they're a little dirty. Is there a way to clean the keys?
    My 5th Treo has the problem, first 4 did not. I mentioned it to the Tech while having them evaluate a constant reset issue. Told me that because I have a scratch on the "v" key from "trauma" that the mint "p" key must have been damaged in the same way. Sprint is in top form lately....<sigh>
    Well they sent me refurb warranty replacement. And while the P key is much better; several other keys are almost as bad as my original 650's P key was. Frustrating!!

Is there any way to fix this by opening the 650 and jiggling the keyboard around (as it almost appears as the whole keyboard was just installed a hair too low) or is this just best not messed with, and sending it back to Cingular yet again?
    I would keep getting the unit replaced until you get one that is perfect or until the warranty runs out.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Some keys become sticky because junk gets in there... there is a discussion topic in here that helped me fix sticky keys. use wd-40 on a skinny cloth and barely circle around your stuck key. this will clean the grime and your key will click again.. it worked for both of my "a" and alternate keys.

Now my "p" key is somewhat lost in it's feel but it still barely clicks. I haven't tried the wd-40 on that key because it was always like that straight out of the box.
  13.    #13  
    Thanks for that Guys, I have now sent my Treo 650 back to Palm to repair. I await with baited breath to see if it somes back fixed or not.

I have only owned 2 palms from new, my Treo 650 & T3, and now both of them will have been sent back to Palm for repair under waranty. At least I still have the T3 for GPS & PDA whilst the phone is away. I hate carrying around two devices. I miss my Treo & I only sent it back an hour ago!
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Holux GPSlim236 GPS BT receiver & Tom Tom v5.201