Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I can't believe UniCMD has not been discussed on TreoCentral.

It's a Swiss Army Knife utility (zip, unzip, backup, view images, encrypt--it does it all), much like Resco Explorer but appears to do more, and has a much more slick interface. It's also free.

You can download it here:
    http://www.unicmd.de/en/
    it was mentioned in this thread in june but i guess nobody payed attention

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ghlight=unicmd

Thanks for the reminder
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Look nice. Interface is good...

What's the catch?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicWill
    Look nice. Interface is good...

What's the catch?
    None, as far as I can tell. Seems to do everything that Resco does PLUS at least:

-encrypts any file
    -offers secure erase (wipes files space in addition to just deleting the entry)
    -offers scheduled backups (Resco backup does this but is still more $)
    -arguably more polishe
    -costs nothing
    Well, someone needs to test the reliability of its backups on a Treo650. They don't all work on our devices, you know.

That said, this looks like a good program. If nothing else, it is a free zip file manager...

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    I've been playing with this app and so far everything looks pretty good. especially since its freeware. the scheduled backups work on time but I ran into a few snags.

When the auto backup begins, if the keyguard is on it interferes. Also it does backup, but it doesn't seem like it does a FULL backup. A plus is that the backups are in zip format, just don't forget to add a copy of the app in you /palm/launcher dir so you have something to restore with.
    It runs off the SD card, no need to have it in RAM unless you need to do scheduled backups. HOWEVER - if it does not do a full backup, what's the point? Also, does it back up and restore the Java VM? I wish there was some documentation for the icons at the bottom of the scree, (OK, maybe they are not complicated, but I'd like to be sure before I mess with them.)
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor
    It runs off the SD card, no need to have it in RAM unless you need to do scheduled backups. HOWEVER - if it does not do a full backup, what's the point? Also, does it back up and restore the Java VM? I wish there was some documentation for the icons at the bottom of the scree, (OK, maybe they are not complicated, but I'd like to be sure before I mess with them.)
    It's among the most well-documented of programs.

There is an extensive online manual:
    http://www.unicmd.de/manual/ucmdhelp.htm

There is a built-in manual, too, quite unlike most anything I've seen before. Click on the "i" icon in the upper right and drop down to "manual".

It seems to backup all of my data, including all the Java files, but I have not yet tried to restore.

The drawbacks that I have found are that it doesn't by default allow an option for encrypting the backup, although it allows for encrypting any file. It has only partial 5-way support, it's backup was somewhat slow compared to Resco, but about as fast as BBVFS.
    I did a full backup then restore and everything is workn great.
    It's amazing, like having a palm explorer (aka windows explorer) for your Treo. Thanks for the tip.
    Seems very comprehensive and buggy though. I viewed a jpeg with it and when I tried to hit the arrow in the picture screen to go to the next picture it reset my Treo. Then, when my Treo came back up, all my saved prefs were gone. I had a backed up saved prefs from last night (and about 5 other times throughout the past year) but I had to ultimately re-enter the reg key for my BackUpMan program no matter how far back I tried to restore the saved prefs. Seems like the other prefs are fine now but no way to be sure until I try every single program!
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    I had the exact same crash while trying to display the next JPEG image in a directory. The application was running off the SD card.

Luckily, I seem to have my Saved Preferences intact.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I also have that problem with the pic viewer, either closing or selecting the next pic. All prefs get lost.
    same problem viewing JPEG (also running from card. pics, and app) saved pref. intact though
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    I have removed the application, for now, to avoid the temptation to play around with it.

I prefer the UI of Resco Explorer, although I need more face time with UniCMD before passing a judgement on it. I already own Explorer, so it is easy for me to use it.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I bet Resco Locker would fix that saved prefs loss.. I haven't lost prefs a single time since I started using it.

BTW the "no matter what" reg key loss.. I bet you lost unsaved prefs too, and that key was in it.
    Just so you guys know. If you are using the scheduled backups, remember to turn off your keyguard because the keyguard wont allow the backup to happen in the background.

On that note, are there any apps that turn off and on the keyguard at certain times? Hopefully freeware, im guessing ProfileCare probably does it, but software isnt cheap.
    The website says it is shareware, not freeware. . .
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    The website says that the new version, 1.813, is 'freeware.'
    Communications is the toughest thing we do.
    unlocked Cingular (GSM) Treo 650, 1.51 firmware, 1.17 CNG software
    What's the deal with "erase"? Does that mean normally when I just delete a file with Zlauncher or whatever I don't get back that space? Is there a way to "recover" lost space on the card and the treo so I have more space?
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast