Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Hello all,
    Getting my 650 tomorrow. Bought used on ebay. Cingular locked(ok by me, i don't travel) w/ 256mb SD card & camera. I want to start this phone from scratch, as in clearing out all the old stuff, and getting it ship-shape. Should I start by performing a Hard Reset? And I'm scared about the Cingular update screwing up the phone.
    I should also note that I'm using an eMac (OS X 10.4) and syncing using Missing Sync via BT until my sync/chg cable arrives.
    MANY thanks in advance.
    Last edited by mkbomb; 11/27/2005 at 06:13 PM.
    Yep, hard reset when you get it.

Don't be scared. Do the update.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Excellent, thanks for the help, Mr. Greenberg! I've read many a Green Lantern book back in the day. I signed up for Medianet unlimited via the Cingular website, says allow 72 hours to activate. The phone i have registered with them is a Sony Ericsson S710a, so hopefully that wont be categorized as a "SmartPhone". And of course I wont change my registered phone to a Treo as far as theyre concerned.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    welcome, and enjoy the phone.

There are a lot of great "getting started" threads on this board - what apps are essential, etc.

do yourself a favor and spend some time poking around, you'll be happy you did.
    I personally would recommend the much harder to do 'zero out' reset, instructions on palms support pages, as it completely puts the phone back to factory virgin state. A hard reset doesn't necessarily do this. Might be easier with somebody helping, but I have done it on my own. Here is the link:
    Zero Out Reset
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Holux GPSlim236 GPS BT receiver & Tom Tom v5.201
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Thanks, pabo & Mike.
    The phone's here now. Waiting for a full charge. Cant do the zero reset, as I dont have a sync cable yet, and I'm so impatient, I just want to set up the phone already. I have Missing Sync, should I finally want to do the zero reset.
    My question now is this:
    Once the phone is charged, I want to hard reset, insert my SIM card from my other working Cingular phone, and install the Cingular update. Kindly advise me on the order of doing these things? Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by mkbomb
    Thanks, pabo & Mike.
    The phone's here now. Waiting for a full charge. Cant do the zero reset, as I dont have a sync cable yet, and I'm so impatient, I just want to set up the phone already. I have Missing Sync, should I finally want to do the zero reset.
    My question now is this:
    Once the phone is charged, I want to hard reset, insert my SIM card from my other working Cingular phone, and install the Cingular update. Kindly advise me on the order of doing these things? Thanks in advance.
    1) hard reset.
    2) insert sim & check works ok.
    3) remove sim
    4) install update
    5) insert sim & away you go.

Zero out resets do not affect the update, so can be performed whenever you want.

Mike
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Holux GPSlim236 GPS BT receiver & Tom Tom v5.201