Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    So how would I go about taking it apart and disabling the jack. Is their somewhere I can get a tut. Or do I just guess it out?
    I'm not aware of any Treo 650 instructions (though someone will post a link immediately after I post this ).

But I have taken plenty of gadgets apart--many that "seemed" sealed (e.g., Motorola alpha pagers).

Anyway, the Treo 650 doesn't seem too hard. There are obvious screws under the battery cover (and there might be one or two not-so-obvious screws under the serial number sticker).

On the back of the Treo there is a screw inside the stylus silo. There is also at least one covered by a rubber plug.

This should get you going, but please don't take this lightly. You have to be careful with things like breaking the case when separating the halves, ripping ribbon cables, etc. In other words, don't blame me if you make things worse! (Though it sounds like your Treo is unusable, as-is.)

--
    Mike
  2.    #22  
    Yes it is. Except when using it as a phone. I can't hear people and its such a damned drag.

Thank you very much eKeith that should help out considerably
    There are people on this board who have opened their Treo and repaired the audio jack.

Good luck trying to do a search for those posts ...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xFilthyxJesusx
    ... Thank you very much eKeith that should help out considerably
    No problem. However, based on the pics, the original audio jack is soldered to the circuit board so I think you would have to get an identical one to replace it.
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
  5.    #25  
    ya maybe unless i could just totally disable it and that would be fine for me. I wouldnt use it anywyas. But i wonder if enabling a bluetooth headset might fix the problem... even though i dont have one. Maybe enablign it and then disabling it might fix the problem.
    Yes it is. Except when using it as a phone. I can't hear people and its such a damned drag.
    Uh, the phone part is what I was referring to. And yes, you should be able to just fix the "problem" without replacing the jack. If you have the skills, you might be able to do this without opening the unit.

For instance, if you find that two leads are making contact, and when you separate them the phone works, you can leave them separated and apply a small amount of silicone sealer to them so that they won't make contact again.

BTW: Interesting title for this thread. What are you gonna use when the screen cracks, "Brightness Issue?"
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman!
    BTW: Interesting title for this thread. What are you gonna use when the screen cracks, "Brightness Issue?"

Lol. Ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman!
    For instance, if you find that two leads are making contact, and when you separate them the phone works, you can leave them separated and apply a small amount of silicone sealer to them so that they won't make contact again.
    Really that should work. Hmm now what would these leds look like?
  8.    #28  
    Oh this also affects the sounds from games and the such. I can hear my ring tones fine along with my alerts. But everything else kinda isnt there... Every now and then I can hear an occassional click or and eroor sound. I think I should have mentioned this before.
  9.    #29  
    It is all fixed now I found Freeodm. A program the lets you redirect your sound to the speaker phone or built in head set. So I did.
    Quote Originally Posted by xFilthyxJesusx
    It is all fixed now I found Freeodm. A program the lets you redirect your sound to the speaker phone or built in head set. So I did.
    That's interesting. I looked at that app, and it seemed to be touting its main feature as the ability to listen to music from the headset jack. I assume Treo 600s can't do that, but I believe Treo 650s already can. I had also hoped it might allow all audio to be sent via Bluetooth. Well it does, if you use a generic BT adapter in your headset jack (duh!). But it won't redirect anything to the 650's built-in BT (as at least one other app can).

Regardless, I'm surprised this app ("Freedom") was able to overcome actual physical damage to the headset jack. I'm going to bookmark it should my headset jack ever become "stuck" where the Treo thinks there is always a headset plugged in (hopefully not due to a ripped out jack ).

Oh yea, if you do want to still listen to music via headphones, you might be able to do so via the multi-connector. I don't know if it'll work with a damaged headset jack, but stereo audio is available via the multi-connector, and at least one company makes use of it (primarily, so you don't abuse that fragile headset jack ):
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=92517

--
    Mike
  11.    #31  
    Well know it re routs the music and sounds to the build in head set. Not the head phone jack. BUt yes it has worked because I asked me to unplug my headphones and when done proceed well I proceeded without doing anything so I suppose it over road the fact that the system thinks they are plugged in. I think that is the problem. The system thinks they are plugged in when really they aren't But thank you for the link I would like to again use my head phone jack. Someday...
    Wow, your "friend" is a complete moron. How does one plug the charger into the head phone jack? It's the old "square peg, round hole" dilemma....

Also, you said he could borrow your phone until your battery died, so he got a charger....was he planning on keeping the thing or what???
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Sometimes you just gotta laugh at the dumb things people do (or let other people do to their stuff..)
    reminds me of the time when i overheard somebody reccomending using a butter knife to remove a battery, because it was stuck. The person later realized the battery had never been installed and the phone was later sent off for repair for obvious reasons.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    Wow, your "friend" is a complete moron. How does one plug the charger into the head phone jack? It's the old "square peg, round hole" dilemma....

Also, you said he could borrow your phone until your battery died, so he got a charger....was he planning on keeping the thing or what???
    No he used his ****ty sprint phone charger. Not a Treo charger but a normal charger thiking it would work.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12