1.    #1  
    Do any of the Bluetooth GPS units currently available (TomTom, Seidio, ?) work at aviation speeds? I know the bundled software is not designed for it, but does the hardware support it if one were to write some custom software?

The reason I ask: some portable standalone GPS units (like from Garmin, etc) disable themselves at high speeds so they can't be used for aviation. The manufacturers do this either to (1) avoid the liability of people using street models for aviation, (2) promote sales of their more expensive aviation models, or both.

Anyone?

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Firmware:01.71
    I think you could use the "GPS Screen" in Mapopolis for this. It has lat/long, alt, direction and speed. I'm not a pilot so I haven't had the chance to actually use my GPS on a plane since bluetooth devices have to be turned off during flight.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
  3.    #3  
    pheath - it really depends on the hardware. No software - Mapopolis included - will display any meaningful data if the hardware refuses to work at high speeds, as some stand-alone non-aviation handheld GPS units do.

So I guess I need someone to try this in an airplane. Or, tape your Treo and TomTom units together and drop them out of a window at least, say, 10 stories up. See if they yield any data on the way down and report back. Much obliged.

-Eric

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    OK. Check this out. Says it's approved for aviation use.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
  5.    #5  
    Thanks pheath, that's just what I was looking for.

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Anytime.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
    I have been using the holux 231 bluetooth gps with both my palm, pocketpc and laptop in the airplane quite successfully. It has proved to be a great bluetooth unit.
    Pilottreo1
    Quote Originally Posted by pilottreo1
    I have been using the holux 231 bluetooth gps with both my palm, pocketpc and laptop in the airplane quite successfully. It has proved to be a great bluetooth unit.
    Pilottreo1
    The features of a true aviation GPS are so significant that I cannot imagine using anything less. The display reflects what I see on the ground.