1.    #1  
    just joined this forum, I have been lurking before my purchase....

just purchased a treo 650 unlocked palm branded gsm phone (looks new, but I did see someone named the sync phone, so maybe the seller did try it out once?) and have very little palm OS exposure.

I have installed my t-mobile sim chip and am ready to configure this thing, but really don't know where to start...

I am looking for at least (guide me here) a 1GB SD memory card, I do know about the 2GB limit in palm OS, should a 2GB SD card be necessary? are there any speed requirements that are actually realized between manufacturers? the "back up" cards I see advertised, do they back up just the ROM or both ROM & RAM?

people here talk about how much free ROM memory they have, how would one know?

my computer OS in mac 10.4.3 and I want to sync iCal & address book to my treo, and I have read about the palm desktop/iSync/missing sync and all the short comings of each & am confused about which way to proceed?

when I installed my sim card from my previous phone, it had about 250 phone numbers, somehow I tried to copy one of the numbers into contacts, and all 250 of the numbers came over? I have found the option to display/hide the simm phone book, but how are folks keeping their numbers? seems it would make sense to keep a record of these in the simm card in case you had to switch phones for untold reasons, and I realize that a back up of contacts is possible once the sync thing is set up, but seems like the simm card would be a great back up too?

I have no experience in installing/removing programs in palm os, I have read some guides, but here's what I will probably be wanting out of my treo, a pdf reader (do these help with formatting in a readable fashion given the screen size of the treo?), email (don't need push) for my earthlink & gmail accounts, worldmate or something similar, pocket quicken?

I have yet to activate my t-mobile account for web access, I have a shared (family) plan and my better half will be getting a treo 650 too (as soon as I can find a second reasonable price unit). any advise to how to handle t-mobile in setting this up? does the data plan include web access in foreign destinations (europe, brazil etc)? does the data plan cover both phones, as I have the family plan with 2 lines?

I realize this is a lot to ask, and as a NOOB I have my flame suit on, but any guidance would be appreciated, thanks in advance...
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    #1 read through your manual (It's very informative).

#2 search for your answers in this site (or PDAphonehome.com, another good site for the Treo 650).

#3 then come back and ask the questions you could not find on your own.

We've all been where you are now, but I recommend doing some of your own homework first
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Expidia
    #1 read through your manual (It's very informative).

#2 search for your answers in this site (or PDAphonehome.com, another good site for the Treo 650).

#3 then come back and ask the questions you could not find on your own.

We've all been where you are now, but I recommend doing some of your own homework first
    hey now,

#1 I did read the manual, it's not very informative (see above post for the questions)

#2 did a search for answers on this site, couldn't find the basic install methods of apps, couldn't find any discusions on keeping the simm card current with the contacts area, dialing options as to storing numbers w/or w/out the +1 etc.

#3 I could post a copy of my first post, then would you offer some guidance?

thanks for your recommendation, I have been doing my homework with searches, but now I need some guidance from those who remember what it was liek to first get one, and what to do/not to do first!

are you part of the solution?
    Don't feel bad about asking. The search feature, while recommended often, is very poor and takes getting used to.

Quote Originally Posted by davekr
    I am looking for at least (guide me here) a 1GB SD memory card, I do know about the 2GB limit in palm OS, should a 2GB SD card be necessary? are there any speed requirements that are actually realized between manufacturers? the "back up" cards I see advertised, do they back up just the ROM or both ROM & RAM?
    2 Gig limit. No practical difference worth worrying about in speed. The Backup cards backup only the RAM. But you can use 3rd party backup software (Resco Backup) and don't need to buy soecial "back up card". Any standard SD card will do (with 3rd party software like Resco Backup).
    people here talk about how much free ROM memory they have, how would one know?
    With the Applications launcher, press Menu button, select Info.
    when I installed my sim card from my previous phone, it had about 250 phone numbers, somehow I tried to copy one of the numbers into contacts, and all 250 of the numbers came over? I have found the option to display/hide the simm phone book, but how are folks keeping their numbers? seems it would make sense to keep a record of these in the simm card in case you had to switch phones for untold reasons, and I realize that a back up of contacts is possible once the sync thing is set up, but seems like the simm card would be a great back up too?
    I use PC for syncing. Some Mac user will have to jump-in.
    I don't switch SIMs very often. Most people depend on regular sync between the PC/Mac and the Treo for backing up or entering PIM data (contacts, appointments etc).
    I have no experience in installing/removing programs in palm os, I have read some guides, but here's what I will probably be wanting out of my treo, a pdf reader (do these help with formatting in a readable fashion given the screen size of the treo?), email (don't need push) for my earthlink & gmail accounts, worldmate or something similar, pocket quicken?
    PDF reader: http://www.metaviewsoft.de/en/Softwa...reeware/Other/

e-mail: Try supplied Versamail. Works for most of us.

Worldmate:http://www.mobimate.com/palm_busines...ename=palm.jpg

Pocket Quicken: http://www.landware.com/pocketquicken/palmos/index.asp

As for installing applications via the Mac... the documentation should tell you that (or another Mac user could help..)
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A