I started a new job in October, and with the new Job came my 650, and a new Cell #.

The person who had the number before me must have a few crediters, and they keep calling. I would change the number, but to many people have it already. I need an app that will Block "Blocked Caller ID" calls.

Has anyone tried:

CallShield PRO v2.2

or

CallFilter 1.3

Looking for any input.
    IMHO CallFilter is the 'gold standard'
    I would use a different approach, along with a different app: Call Record.

When you get one of these collection calls, explain that you are not the person in question, and that you will file a formal complaint with your--or their--state's Attorney General should they call even one more time. Then let them know the call is being recorded (legal in most all states as long as one party approves--and that one party would be you).

I had a similar situation when I moved to a new home--with a new phone number--several years ago. I must say those &*^%$ slimy collection people are scum. Sorry, no other way to put it. They would often accuse me of lying, and that they "knew" I was the person in question. One ***** even claimed they could have the sheriff at my house in 5 minutes because I was lying.

Yea I could have changed numbers, or blocked blocked-CSID calls. But as--at that time--my local telco didn't have the ability to screen blocked calls (in order to ask permission to let the call go through) I didn't want to miss an important call from, say a doctor or attorney (which many do, at least when calling from home or from a cell phone).

So I started recording the calls, and letting them know they were now breaking the law. I did indeed file a complaint with my state's AG over one particularly ruthless "collector" (who turned out to be some nutcase operating from his home, as some sort of "freelance" collector). I should note the telco, in my case, helped out. They did something to my line so that whenever one of these harassment calls (which is what they were) was finished , I immediately pressed *? (I forget) which recorded the caller's ANI (which usually can't be blocked or faked, as can CSID). This info uncovered the aforementioned nutcase's phone number. Armed with *this* number, whomever was handling the case for my state's AG gave the guy a true wake-up call. After that, that was the end of it.

OTOH, if everyone who calls you is in Contacts, you could set Sound Preferences->Phone->Tones->Unknown Caller Tone to "No Sound." But I don't think that's what you're looking for.

--
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by immo
    CallShield PRO v2.2
    or
    CallFilter 1.3
    I am using Callshield pro 2.5a on Treo650 and am happy with it. Couldn't find any difference with Callfilter, which I saw some days ago.

Does anyone know if I missed something?

Differences: price (Callfilter is cheaper) and since they have started development (again) you can (anybe) expect more than from mantagroup (callshield) which seem to react very slow.

Correct me if I am wrong, but that is what I noticed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Willem
    I am using Callshield pro 2.5a on Treo650 and am happy with it. Couldn't find any difference with Callfilter, which I saw some days ago.

Differences: price (Callfilter is cheaper) and since they have started development (again) you can (anybe) expect more than from mantagroup (callshield) which seem to react very slow.

Well I noticed some serious issues in the comments section in Mytreo.net's 11/21/05 announcement of the--in their words--"Best Treo 650 Call Filter & Ringtone Software Ever!"

http://mytreo.net/archives/2005/11/_...ware_ever_.php

So some guy reads that glowing announcement/infomercial and immediately buys it. He then posts this:
    You sure about your claim of " the best treo 650 call filter ringtone software ever " ?
    I believe that claim and bought it to my eternal regrets.
    It is unstable and keep crashing giving me a" MemoryMgr.c, Line3877, invalid chunk ptr ", SMS filter does not work at all even after the latest dated 22 Nov 2005
    I can tolerate bugs in software, but unstable and not be able to do what it claimed is a bit too much to be called " the best treo 650 call filter ringtone software ever "
    Now my question is, how do i get my money back ?

Interestingly, his post is edited by Mytreo.net with this:
    (Ed: the developer is working on fixing the bugs, there is a new version available for download now that prevents the crashes. As for refunds, the software is available with a free trial so refunds are not available, always try before you buy)

In my opinion the app should have been stable before being touted as practically a gift from God.

In any event, I personally feel that all these apps are gonna do--in this particular situation--is mask the symptom of a greater problem. Unless, I suppose, the app is set to pick-up and then hang-up on unknown callers (which I suppose is OK if you know you'll never actually get a legitimate call that comes across as unknown, something I've seen happen on occasion when the caller did not block the call). Setting it to go straight to VM might be better, though one might need to listen to a bunch of collection nonsense when checking VM.

OTOH, if you need or want the other features anyway, these apps sound pretty good (though IMO CallFilter 1.3 was released prematurely--I get nervous when a developer has to rush out bug-fix versions right at-release).

--
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Willem

You are correct...

Price (in this case) to me isn't as important as how well it works..

Thanks everyone for your comments... I'll give both trial verisons a shot.