1.    #1  
    Hi all,

A friend of mine recently bought a Treo 650 and bought licenses for PDANet and some other apps (I forget which) to the tune of about $150!!! Now he is changing carriers and needs to sell his Treo and his apps. How does this work? I'm sure whoever will buy his Treo won't need exactly the same apps he bought. Could he sell the codes or licenses or whatever of the apps to another user? Or maybe he can he get a full version instead of the demo of an app with the code and then sell it?

He already spent $450 on a Treo he can no longer use AND another $150 in apps. so he's out $600!!!!!!!!!!! Please help!

Thank you!
    Most Palm developers are small-time operations and license as such. Your friend will probably need to check the EULAs if he wants to be all above board, generally they license just to a username, sometimes tying it to a device (like Agendus).

I know PDAnet for one has a ridiculously restricted licensing arrangement. Every time Palm releases a Treo upgrade suddenly the PDAnet developer decides that whatever changes he makes justify fully charging you again for basically the same product (that odds are next to nothing you won't be using on 2 Treos anyway). I don't have to look at the EULA for PDAnet to have a good idea that your friend has thrown away $35 bucks on that one. (PDAnet won't let me use a cable on my 650 like I did on my 600 without upping the TCO to $70 bucks.... absolute highway robbery. At that price I'll just live with the BT DUN and regret ever buying PDAnet for the 600.)

If the new buyer uses the same user name, odds are that nearly all applications will work on the device. His lawyer will need to comb all the EULAs to see if he has any legal right to transfer his "license"- many developers are more generous than PDAnet and it may be the case that the new buyer have a chance at getting a license transfer in some cases, possibly even having a key made to a "new" user name.

I think the Palm community has been showing signs of suffering like the music industry over the past few years. Many developers make it so expensive for the honest customers to acquire and use their product - and their potential customers will either switch to pirated product or simply not bother installing anything but freeware or fairly licensed and priced product.

I'm so sick of licensing strategies like PDAnet uses that I've soured on spending any more money on Palm software unless it's an outstanding, critical piece of software that has a long proven track record and reasonable updates. Unfortunately for developers, under that strategy the bar gets set so high that 3 minutes with trial versions are about all that I see of their hard work before I dump it out of memory and forget it.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Joad is exactly right ... he'll have to check every EULA (end user license agreement), AND he will need the cooperation of each vendor. For example, the SplashID license agreement includes the following provision:

"4. TRANSFER. You may assign your rights under this Single User License Agreement to a third party who agrees in writing to be bound by this Single User License Agreement before the assignment, provided that you transfer all copies of the Program and accompanying documentation in any form to the third party or destroy any copies not transferred. Except as set forth above, you may not assign your rights under this agreement."

This means that transfer is permitted for this software. However, vendors are legally permitted to prohibit transfers, and some do so.

As Joad pointed out, some software is tied to a particular device or user ID. In those cases, even those vendors who permit transfers are not always cooperative when it comes to issuing replacement ID's.

Good luck.