1.    #1  
    Just got my Treo 650 week ago and absolutely love it and this forum!

My question:

I've tried MobileTS and RemotePlus to remote desktop to my WinXP pc. This is kinda slow.

But if I connect through the Treo with a BT enabled PDA (in my case Samsung Nexio) I have a much faster responce. Both use the same EDGE connection so that couldn't be it.

The Treo isn't that slow, I mean it can run xvids at full fps Does anyone know why there is such a big responce difference? Thanks!

Btw, I find MobileTS much nicer cause you can scroll much much quicker then with RemotePlus.
    If I understand what you're saying then you are actually connecting two different ways. I'm on Sprint so I don't know this for a fact but I believe Cingular's EDGE (might be the same with other GSM carriers as well) is ~ 70 - 150 kbps while BT 1.X is ~700kbs. Granted EDGE can burst to 200 kbps but that's still more than 3 times slower than BT.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    But BT going into the phone might be fast, but the connection is still going over the EDGE network. That is if I understand the issue here.. Should not matter for the connection speed.. Unless somehow the added speed/memory of the other PDA allows a faster experience..
  4.    #4  
    Yeh the connection is still going over EDGE for both. Still think it's kinda strange that the Treo can play high quality xvids while the PDA can't and then the PDA is slower at remote desktopping. Maybe the PDA, cause it's WinCE based, is better suited for this Windows Remote Desktop protocol then through the PalmOS.

Shame though, the screen of the Treo is just enough for quick work but the slowness makes it kinda useless.
    Last edited by tex77; 12/06/2005 at 07:43 AM.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Have you tried PalmVNC?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by naivete
    Have you tried PalmVNC?
    Ah, that seems to work a bit better and faster yeh.

Also gave Win-Hand a try to see how that works. And wow, that is really flying! I like the drag screen to pan around, which works realtime. Clicking the center button zooms out or in quickly.

All the mouse options and other ctrl options seem to be well thought out. Gonna try it for a few days to see how works after some real use. But it seems to be worth its money compared to other methods.

Typed this through Win-Hand on the Treo650
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tex77
    Ah, that seems to work a bit better and faster yeh.

Also gave Win-Hand a try to see how that works. And wow, that is really flying! I like the drag screen to pan around, which works realtime. Clicking the center button zooms out or in quickly.

All the mouse options and other ctrl options seem to be well thought out. Gonna try it for a few days to see how works after some real use. But it seems to be worth its money compared to other methods.

Typed this through Win-Hand on the Treo650
    Didn't know you can drag the screen around in Win-Hand. I think I'll try it out some time.
    Global Posts
    297 Global Posts
    I have confirmed with ddh software that MobileTS doesn't support access to the console session in Windows Server. Does RemotePlus support the client request "mstsc /console" ?

Just got my Treo 650 week ago and absolutely love it and this forum!

My question:

I've tried MobileTS and RemotePlus to remote desktop to my WinXP pc. This is kinda slow.

But if I connect through the Treo with a BT enabled PDA (in my case Samsung Nexio) I have a much faster responce. Both use the same EDGE connection so that couldn't be it.

The Treo isn't that slow, I mean it can run xvids at full fps Does anyone know why there is such a big responce difference? Thanks!

Btw, I find MobileTS much nicer cause you can scroll much much quicker then with RemotePlus.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by puyi
    I have confirmed with ddh software that MobileTS doesn't support access to the console session in Windows Server. Does RemotePlus support the client request "mstsc /console" ?
    Ooh, no idea. Never used the console option, didn't even knew it's there. I've removed the app as the trial period was over.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by naivete
    Didn't know you can drag the screen around in Win-Hand. I think I'll try it out some time.
    It's very nice as it gives great sadisfaction. You actually feel it's kinda realtime.

The color options ranging from B/W to High Color is a very nice option too. For most things 4 or 16 shades of gray is enough and it speeds up things nicely as less data is needed to transfer.

But one thing sucks, I use the MS remote desktop feature alot from other PC's etc. Well, if you log out/disconnect the Win-Hand server prog running can't render the screen anymore. No idea how to work around this. I'm gonne ask Win-Hand to see if they have a solution for this.
  11.    #11  
    Came across another Windows Remote Desktop tool for the Palm/Treo that usually isn'nt mentioned along the more known RPD clients. It was in some post on this forum though.

http://www.mochasoft.dk/rdp.htm

This tool lets you also pan around with the stylus and the button system actually works very nice. It seems faster then the other two RPD tools I've tried.

Since the Win-Hand solution A. requires software on the "server' and B. doesnt work with the RPD system I've now chosen this RPD client from Mochasoft as the best solution. Shame it doesn't have the grayscale options of Win-Hand though.

Pro's:
    Fastest of the RPD clients on the Treo650 I've tried.
    Panning with stylus. (Big plus, it makes it feel faster alot then using scroll bars.)
    Saves Passwords
    Easy to use right mouse button + other special keys.

Cons:
    Doesn't seem to like other ports then the default RPD port.
    Doesn't have grayscale options.

Check it out if you're looking for a good RPD client on the Treo650.
    Also, it doesn't support Treo600 becuz of the low res. I have been using Mobile TS for a few weeks now and its only ok. It stalls and the screen doesn't refresh all the time. I am going to try RemotePlus.

Came across another Windows Remote Desktop tool for the Palm/Treo that usually isn'nt mentioned along the more known RPD clients. It was in some post on this forum though.

http://www.mochasoft.dk/rdp.htm

This tool lets you also pan around with the stylus and the button system actually works very nice. It seems faster then the other two RPD tools I've tried.

Since the Win-Hand solution A. requires software on the "server' and B. doesnt work with the RPD system I've now chosen this RPD client from Mochasoft as the best solution. Shame it doesn't have the grayscale options of Win-Hand though.

Pro's:
    Fastest of the RPD clients on the Treo650 I've tried.
    Panning with stylus. (Big plus, it makes it feel faster alot then using scroll bars.)
    Saves Passwords
    Easy to use right mouse button + other special keys.

Cons:
    Doesn't seem to like other ports then the default RPD port.
    Doesn't have grayscale options.

Check it out if you're looking for a good RPD client on the Treo650.