1.    #1  
    I tried to use up the dbCache by running all the big-hitters (Versamail, Xpress Mail, Camera, 2day, datebk5, Voicedial, 4cast, MovieGuide, Audiolist etc etc). With great difficulty, I managed to pare it down to 5 meg total free and 5 meg largest chunk free.

Ran Blazer: Bingo! Total free jumps to 10 meg, largest free to 7 megs.

The OS is actually managing the memory!!

Guys needing/running dbCache utilities, please see if you still need those after the latest Cingular firmware update....
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I don't think there is much improvement.

Before upgrade, the DbCache was about 8.3M after soft reset. Now it's 8.5M. It's just a small increase.

I tried to run BBVFS for a "complete new" backup (not an incremental one). After that, the DbCache dropped to less than 3M. It's kind of dangerous to continue using the device.
  3.    #3  
    Does the dbcache go up if you run Blazer after BBVFS?

Are you using Resco Locker to lock applications in the Cache?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  4.    #4  
    I tried it myself:

After BBVFS, I had Total free: 10 megs, Largest free: 660 K !!
    Ran Blazer. Quit.
    Now it is Total free: 10 megs, Largest free: 4.4 megs.

I am not using any cache manager or Locker.

Edit: Ran some more applications (VoiceDial, Xpressmail, DTG, VM). Could not get either value (Total, Largest) to drop from 10 megs, 4.4 megs.

Ran Blazer. Total is still 10 megs, largest free is 6293 K (went up from 4400 K) !!

I wonder what's special about Blazer that initiates a dbCache purge by the OS ??? Any other application that does this?
    Last edited by aprasad; 11/25/2005 at 11:10 AM. Reason: More info
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM