1.    #1  
    Probably should have asked this question earlier. Just ordered a Treo 650 that is unlocked and unbranded. I understand the advantages to being unlocked but what would the disadvantages be? Also, what would the advantages and disadvantages of an unbranded Treo? My service provider is Cingular.
    Other than having the necessary Cingular settings pre-programed into the phone and the Cingular specific applications (X-Press Mail etc.) I can't think of any real differences.

Firmware upgrades are not released any faster for the unbranded or Cingular versions so it really doesn't make much difference.
    I think not having the Cingular specific software on the phone is a plus.
    When you come to sell it, the unbranded, unlocked phone will be worth more.
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Holux GPSlim236 GPS BT receiver & Tom Tom v5.201
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Joe
    I think not having the Cingular specific software on the phone is a plus.
    Only if you don't plan on ever using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeProcter
    When you come to sell it, the unbranded, unlocked phone will be worth more.
    I don't buy that.

The Cingular branded phone can be unlocked.

Price will be determined by demand and nothing else.
    When I sold my Orange Uk Treo 600's, the unbranded ones went for more than my Orange UK one, even though it was unlocked.

I certainly would prefer to have an unbranded phone with my Vodafone UK sim in rather than an Orange UK phone with a Vodafone sim in. So I bought an unlocked GSM Treo 650

Agreed price is reflected by demand, but given a choice & a generally small premium, ebayers in the UK tended to pay more for unbranded ones first, the unlocked branded second & then the locked branded ones last, even though they could be cheaply unlocked.
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Holux GPSlim236 GPS BT receiver & Tom Tom v5.201
  8.    #8  
    Being new at this, what type of Cingular settings will I need? I have a sim card from an existing phone as well as a data package. Someone also mentioned Xpress Mail, not sure what the difference in that and Versa Mail is, can you explain?
    I've got an unbranded unlocked T650 GSM and I don't find any disadvantages; the mail program that comes with it works fine. I'm running my original Orange Sim card and I've cancelled my orange insurance as they wouldn't be interested also I expect I would have to wait longer if it went unserviable as I would be relying on the vendor to replace or Palm to repair, whereas I could get a replacement out of my service provider quicker. (I'm keeping my T600 as a back up just incase!)