1.    #1  
    What are the chances of using PDANet on vacation and your computer becoming infected with a crippling Virus?

I always use PDANet on travel and have never had a problem, until yesterday.

My computer informed me that Norton Virus prtection was not in effect (I assumed because I wasn'nt using my normal internet access through my Comcast). So I thought, OK. and I went on line with PDANet. Well after dropping my PDANet connection due to the cable I just tried to reconnect.

My laptop is now really screwed up. It won't let me do anything! Including backup my files. With HP support I tried, in Safe Mode to restore since I could not access my Control panel through my regular screen. "Not responding" resulted. Tried going the "Bio..." route, nothing.

HP informed me I would need to restore my files with the program disks that I left at home. And since I'm not able to backup now either I have the option of letting someone take my files off of my computer hard drive, at a cost.

You guys got any ideas? I love my Treo and all but this small browser screen is all I have right now. And my eyes are beginning to ache. - LOL

Some help/suggestions?
    Last edited by GeekyMom; 11/24/2005 at 05:35 AM.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    What are the chances of using PDANet on vacation and your computer becoming infected with a crippling Virus?

Some help/suggestions?
    Getting a virus on your laptop through PDANet is certainly possible. From your latop's perspective, Treo with PDANet is just another Internet connection (albeit a bit slower).

With that said, you may want arrange to move your post to "off topic" (the rest of the post isn't exactly Treo specific).

As far as your laptop is concerned, what exactly is the problem? You've tried quite a bit with HP support. Here are some suggestions:

1) Don't panic.
    2) Call Microsoft directly and ask them for help - it could be a corrupted OS. Tech people almost always tell you to reformat because it's less trouble for them, and they can close the trouble ticket.
    3) Run a full virus-scan using a boot disk from Norton of Symantec (you could pick up a copy at a local store if you don't have the software with you). That would negate your having to boot your laptop from your corrupted harddrive.

If you have no luck with the above, and to access your data files, you could:

1) pull the hard drive from the laptop;
    2) place the hard drive into a little portable USB hard drive casing available in Bestbuy, CompUSA, etc.). Make SURE it's made for laptop hard drives (ask a sales person). If the casing already has a hard drive in it (again, it must be a laptop hard drive), then swap the hard drive in the casing with the one from your laptop.
    3) Plug usb casing it into another computer that's ALREADY powered up. Your hard drive should mount (look in "My Computer" from the Windows desktop).
    4) Copy your files onto the other computer.
    5) Copy the files from the other computer to a CDR, DVD-R, USB thumbdrive, the original hard drive that might have been in the USB casing when you bought it, etc.

I personally never have these problems (Commodore 64's are really stable). Good luck.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, I'm back from vacation and trying to resolve the problem with disks and CS. Looks like I may have to take it in for service.

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    I use PDAnet briefly to transmit orders to my company or to check Lotus Notes. Would Norton Antivirus or some other AntiVirus software protect you when using PDAnet?
    GeekyMom, sorry to hear about your problem, I'm sure you are frustrated. I know I would be.
  5.    #5  
    I have a UPS pickup scheduled tomorrow for service. Finally got someone in HP CS that had me do a "Self Test" and it was found that I have a "hardware" problem. I just wished they had did it earlier, my laptop could be serviced while we speak. Oh well.

I don't know if my virus protection not being on with PDANet running somehow allowed a worm in or it was gonna bust anyway. I just wish it could have been NOT at the start on my vacation.

Fortunately, I have about 2 weeks left on my HP warranty and an extended warranty with Office Depot. So hopefully they will fix it fast or issue another laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by wbwjr
    Would Norton Antivirus or some other AntiVirus software protect you when using PDAnet?
    Definately. Remember, PDANet is just like any other Internet connection as far as your computer is concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by tcc
    Definately. Remember, PDANet is just like any other Internet connection as far as your computer is concerned.
    Exactly. your anti virus doesnt care about what type of connection your going over, whether it be 56k dialup, dsl, cable, etc. Virus protection doesnt work like that. It is only concerned about the data that is coming in over those connections, based on virus definitions in the software.