Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've never experienced such an unstable OS before. Well, maybe Windows 3.11. Iím a power user and hell, the damn thing just doesnít hold up. Donít get me wrong, I think it has potential and itís a fun tool, but itís far from stable.
    I do business email, personal email, balance checkbook, edit and create Word and Excel files, listen to mp3's, watch movies, navigate using GPS, play games, oh yeah, make and receive phone calls, plus several other things I can't even think of right now. The last reset I had was on september 21st due to Biz Conn. This was because I decided to change my custom ROM. I would say it's pretty stable. Maybe with all that, I'm just a novice user?
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    I would consider myself a power user and have no problems. Try dbcache tool and resco locker. My problems stopped as soon as I started using them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogfart
    I've never experienced such an unstable OS before. Well, maybe Windows 3.11. Iím a power user and hell, the damn thing just doesnít hold up. Donít get me wrong, I think it has potential and itís a fun tool, but itís far from stable.
    WTF is a "power user"? Would I recognize one of you walking down the street? Do you dress up in colored spandex garb with matching helmets?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    WTF is a "power user"? Would I recognize one of you walking down the street? Do you dress up in colored spandex garb with matching helmets?
    I LOL so hard, I nearly had to change my underwear
    What are some specific examples of the instability your Treo is displaying? I have a random soft reset now and again which is annoying but not frequent enough to disrupt my overall productivity. If you're experiencing multiple resets a day, you likely have a piece of software that is causing it.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    OP: I think if you provide some more details then we might be able to help you.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Joe
    I LOL so hard, I nearly had to change my underwear
    I don't think I'd be laughing if I were you. They have "powers", remember?? Be afraid...be very very afraid....

But then again, how powerful can you be if a phone can bring you to your knees, and make you whimper like a baby?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    OP: I think if you provide some more details then we might be able to help you.
    I'll bet he is ignoring the little blinking snowflake in the corner that warns when power using is excessive. Probably thinking to himself...."That's not intended for me, that warning is for the beginner types"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogfart
    I've never experienced such an unstable OS before. Well, maybe Windows 3.11. I’m a power user and hell, the damn thing just doesn’t hold up. Don’t get me wrong, I think it has potential and it’s a fun tool, but it’s far from stable.

I'm with you.

Wath you say is exactly what I'm thinkink about Palmos after I tried it.

I'm still hoping that some of the trubles are HW related and now I'm waiting for the my 3rd excanged treo.

Anyway I' using computres since '82 and chellphones since '90 and I never seen anything unstable like the treo 650.

There are only four scenario that I can immagine.

1) Palmos is crap (BTW I never used any other PO device than the treo)

2) The treo HW is crap.

3) Both of the above

4) Treo and PO are good but are a 30% of faulty devices lying around.
    With that much power sustained in one device...can one presumably be able to hold it for very long. I digress...maybe it's the user that has the power...maybe he's so full of energy that he just blows the thing up. Yes insertion...we would notice them on the street, because there would probably be giant cloud of smoke above him from all the exerted energy billowing into the air.

Man...I can't wait to see a power user!!
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
    I can't wait to see a working treo
    Quote Originally Posted by The Solutor
    Mine works great.

Based on your posts, I would suggest you get a new phone and avoid smartphones.

Or you could look into becoming a power user....or is one just born with those enormous talents???
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    See my earlier post. I would gladly use mine to demo that they do work, and they work extremely well.
    I've been using a Treo 650 on Cingular since it came out and have had almost zero problems. From reading these boards and the Palm support pages, I think the main problems that I hear people complain of are related to limited categories of software:

1. Ringtone managers - anything that intercepts the caller ID is a potential hazard in my opinion. This was worse on 600 but still a concern for missed calls on 650 IMHO. The extra software takes too long to decide who is calling by which time your call is gone to voicemail.
    2. The memory system on 650 was initially bloaty and prone to making upgraders have an almost full device. If you run a PC with no extra hard disk space, you soon run into the schlop of inability to write temp files etc. If you downloaded too many attachments in VersaMail, you could fill the memory inadvertently and boom - your device would reset. It's much leaner now and more like DRAM.
    3. Programs that say they are compatible with all Treo 650s but are not well tested across all the software versions. There's a big difference between a Sprint Treo 650 and a Cingular one but the folks who sell Butler and other Treo tweaking aplications don't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling that they test these applications rigorously on all versions. Did all these apps get tested against the new 1.17 ROM?
    4. Upgrading from an older device is a pain - Treo 650 seems to be sensitive to older software that is stashed in your Backup folder from a former organizer or phone. You are much better off emptying that folder by moving the stuff elsewhere and later cherry-pick installing from it. Or simply start with a new username.
    I

Anyway I' using computres since '82 and chellphones since '90 and I never seen anything unstable like the treo 650.
    Uhhh, Windows 3.11, 95, 98, 98SE, ME?
    Quote Originally Posted by bgb11
    Uhhh, Windows 3.11, 95, 98, 98SE, ME?

Win 3.11 was used to crash after 5 min of runtime ?

Win ME was used to crash w/o any sw installed ?
    Win 98 wasn't that bad?
    What apps are you running? I am not experiencing any crashes what so ever, and only soft reset maybe once a week.
    When I ran 98SE, I had to reset vitually everyday, sometimes more often. ME was the worst thing I have ever used. I wiped it and reloaded 2 weeks later.
    I would suggest you have incompatible apps, or there is a hardware issue, or check for ROM updates.
    I personally am not a Palm evangelist. I like PPC as well. But if it's that bad, jump ship.

"Win 98 wasn't that bad?"
    I thought so.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    Mine works great.

I'm happy for you

Based on your posts, I would suggest you get a new phone and avoid smartphones.
    I'm using a p800 since 2002, and in 3 years I had 4 reset in total (about the same I' had in the first hour of use of the treo)

Or you could look into becoming a power user...
    I'm using computers from '82 , Im a sysadmin since '93, I'm in of the staff of www.newsmobile.it (on of bigger italian telephony forum), I'm contributing to the develop of irda support in linux and my name is in all the current linux distro.

I'm enough "power" for you ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast