Global Posts
    1,272 Global Posts
    Quick questions for you guys.

Thinking of getting a Treo 650 for me and my wife.
    We have a family talk plan now.

I see Cingular has a data plan but for $40 ouch but from reading my understanding is to use the MediaNet for $20 instead

Could we just sign up for one medianet acct online and share it between both phones? Would it be phone specific,could we use it at the same time or would it say you're already logged in?

She's a truck driver and would come in handy when shes pulled over just to read web pages, get driving directions, etc, I'm in IT and have a laptop but doubt I'll tether as most hotels now have free wifi. but in the airport it would be nice to check emails, or txt msg my wife using the Treo. Can I access Outlook Web Access email? If not I could just have my emails fwd to gmail acct or something. We also have a VPN but once again I think I would just use my laptop for that.

I know they also have a pay as you go but if I can get medianet for $19 unlimited and share it between both phones on the family talk plan then that would seem to be the way to go, heck I'd have set on the weather channel page allday just to to get my $$ worth haha.

One other thing I just had come to mind was MobiTv. How does that work?
    I know I pay $9.99 a month does that go to cingular or to MobiTv. Would the wife and I be able to share it, would maybe think about it also if it works with MediaNet unlimited for $19

Thanks
    Dwyane
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    u need one data plan per number. also mobitv is for one number. 19.99 x 2 and 9.99 x 2.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    I asked them the same question. The answer is no. You can't share the media net feature...it's phone number specific. You can share your voice minutes, but not data MB. Seems crappy to me. If you can share one you should be able to share all.
    Global Posts
    1,272 Global Posts
    Dang well you guys know thats not the answer I wanted to hear

Right now I just the pay as you go on my cell phone but hardly ever use it but with a treo i would think id be tempted to use it more maybe not...

Well looks like no mobitv for her haha, besides she has dvd player in the truck and i like to watch news during the day so I use that in my office

Still would MediaNEt for $19 be the way to go for both phones, not sure how much it would be used though, maybe pay as you go would be better,Just emailing,websurfing and MobiTv for me

Also can I drop the MediNet $19 at anytime of do I have to keep it for a year or two?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daps
    Dang well you guys know thats not the answer I wanted to hear

Right now I just the pay as you go on my cell phone but hardly ever use it but with a treo i would think id be tempted to use it more maybe not...

Well looks like no mobitv for her haha, besides she has dvd player in the truck and i like to watch news during the day so I use that in my office

Still would MediaNEt for $19 be the way to go for both phones, not sure how much it would be used though, maybe pay as you go would be better,Just emailing,websurfing and MobiTv for me

Also can I drop the MediNet $19 at anytime of do I have to keep it for a year or two?

Thanks
    You can add or remove the MediaNet Unlimited anytime you want. Cingular will prorate it based on the days that you had the feature turned on. Watch out, Cingular will try to shoehorn you into the PDA unlimited plan on the TREO. It's $39.99 a month.
    Global Posts
    1,272 Global Posts
    So I guess it would be better to just order the phones and add the medianet via online myself or will they add it if I tell them thats what I want. I'll just tell the Cingular I don't want a data plan.
    They also have some media packages that have 1-5mb of downloads, a number of text messages and multi-media messages. They range from 9.99 to 19.99. I choose the 5mb download option for 9.99. Don't text message much but do check the weather and email frequently on my Treo. 5mb is enough for me.

My wife on the other hand..... checks email, sends email, goes to websites, etc. and has the unlimited data package for $39.99.
    So I guess it would be better to just order the phones and add the medianet via online myself or will they add it if I tell them thats what I want. I'll just tell the Cingular I don't want a data plan.

I believe you CAN NOT do any account maintenance on family plan accounts.
    Global Posts
    1,272 Global Posts
    Well I guess that sucks, so just tell the cust rep to add medinet unlimited when I order the phone huh?

Man whats the point in being able to do maintance online and then being told you can't do it, but I think you're right seems like I tried to change plans once and I had to call to do it...
    Global Posts
    1,272 Global Posts
    I looked on Cingular's page and clicked the see if your phone is MediaNet Comp. and the Treo 650 doesn't have a a check mark by it. So will Cingular still add it to my line if I call and order the Treo and tell them to add the medianet unlimited to my acct? But it also doesn't have a checkmark by MobiTv and it is offered..
    Quote Originally Posted by KiltedTreo
    I believe you CAN NOT do any account maintenance on family plan accounts.
    THat isnt true, i have done it. My wife and I share mins and i have added and removed services from our accounts. Also, I have the $20/mo medianet unlimited, theyve never given me any trouble about having it on my 650, but I believe they are not supposed to offer it to 650 owners.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Global Posts
    1,272 Global Posts
    Ok what do you guys think would be best
    Go ahead and add the unlimited net plan today and call friday and order the treo
    or go ahead and call them today to get the treo and see if a rep will add the net unlimited plan to my phone.

I'm out of contract so do you think that would give me some levrage? I also work PT for a store that sales sprint and think we get a discount, think I should mention that?

Or order the treo tell them to add the unlimited net and tell them I'm keeping the old phone I have so I could switch back and forth
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    THat isnt true, i have done it. My wife and I share mins and i have added and removed services from our accounts. Also, I have the $20/mo medianet unlimited, theyve never given me any trouble about having it on my 650, but I believe they are not supposed to offer it to 650 owners.
    Must be because I'm an old AT&T customer. they won't let me do anything. HA.

What's the difference between the MEdia plan and the unlimited Data plan?
    Ok what do you guys think would be best
    Go ahead and add the unlimited net plan today and call friday and order the treo
    or go ahead and call them today to get the treo and see if a rep will add the net unlimited plan to my phone.

I'm out of contract so do you think that would give me some levrage? I also work PT for a store that sales sprint and think we get a discount, think I should mention that?

Or order the treo tell them to add the unlimited net and tell them I'm keeping the old phone I have so I could switch back and forth
    If I were you, I would add the medianet now and then order the treo a few days after it's on your account. Some people have had good luck getting it added after they have the treo, others have had problems.

Do check your account after you get the treo (assuming you are signing up for a 2 year agreement) and make sure that they didn't monkey with the features.

Don't even consider getting MobiTV without an unlimited plan. You will very quickly go over a few dozen MB if you watch just a few hours of it.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. If you wind up adding the $20 medianet after you get a treo and customer service gives you any grief, just politely say that you don't want it and then call back and talk to another CS rep until you find one that will add it for you.

Steve
    MobiTV cost me $19.98 per month. I signed up through the MobiTV website, which redirects you to Handmark. Handmark states that it will charge $9.99 a month. It did, but Cingular *also* added $9.99 a month to my bill. I complained to Handmark and they responded with a (genuinely) illiterate and incomprehensible reply. I cancelled the service, and then persuaded a Cingular rep to remove Cingular's charges.
    Global Posts
    1,272 Global Posts
    Well Cingular doesnt have anymore refurb Treos I just stumbled on to them and did some research and decided the next day to buy one and bam not listed...oh well i'm up for an upgrade I'll just wait to the put some more on there, or maybe the HP one
    how does the media works work .. i purchased it and cant get on or retrieve email.