Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101516171819202122 LastLast
    Interesting...just as I went to select network and chose the first on the list (since I did have full signal and the data conection was active)...while sitting a Registering with network...bam, soft reset

A reset was caused on 12/5/05 at 10:09 am while running "Phone"
    Fatal Exception
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    One of my Treos (since replaced) did not handle the 1.15 upgrade too well (at least one random reset a day while doing nothing), whereas it never reset on the previous firmware (1.05). I wonder if this 1.17 is exposing some hardware or memory errors, thus the crashing.
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    Update went very smooth, no problems, and it only took about 10 miutes.

will update all if any problems occur
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    I upgraded mine but when I restored things got quite funky and apps did not want to work (ZLauncher, Voice Dialer, AvantGo). So I'm onto resetting and setting things back up manually.

But one thing I've noticed is that when my Treo resets, or I do a reset there is a white screen for about 3-5 seconds, and then it finishes with restarting the unit. Has anyone else had this experience?
    Cingular GSM Treo 650, Apple PowerBook G4, iQue 3600, iPod Photo 60GB
    PalmPilot > Palm Vx > Palm M505 > Garmin iQue 3600 > Treo 650

Seek first to understand, then to be Understood
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    The Palm website mentions that the updater will update documents to go and zap if they are already installed on your Treo. I didn't have these installed when I updated, but I would like to get those latest versions now. Is it possible to update these manually? The website only mentions that a manual update is possible on a Mac. (which is not what I have)

Thanks,
    John
    Run the updater.exe from your computer again and get to the point where it asks you to backup your data (step 1). It will create a folder in your Palm directory called SwapApps which contains all the updated apps. Copy the folder to somewhere else then cancel the installation. Install what you need and you're all set. And make sure to use the Dataviz Tech tool to move the DocsToGo apps to your SD card if you have one and want to save space.

Have fun.

I haven't seen this problem posted, so here goes. My update went flawlessly - did the update, reloaded everything, went great. A day or two later I went to open an excel document and got the message that a previous version of docs to go was detected, and directed me to www.dataviz.com/handheldapps for instructions to fix the problem. I went there and followed the instructions which included opening my Docs to Go desktop utility and selecting "relinstall handheld applications". After doing so, I was able to again move the application to my SD card (Perry) and open my documents again. Seemed like everything was fine.
    Immediately I started having spontaneous resets. After several of these, I used #*377 to discover the problem, and it told me that Word to Go caused the reset.
    I remembered that one of the updates provided with the 1.17 version was an updated Docs to Go version that would be compatible with the new SW/FW. When I checked my docs to go version, sure enough I had reverted to the older version when I did the reinstall per DataViz's instructions. I guess there was an incompatibility between the new SW/FW and the old Docs to Go.
    So I called Palm Support. Big mistake. I'm sure my face was red and my blood pressure was through the roof when I was done. I was told the only way to get the newer version of docs to go was to go to the DataViz web site a BUY IT...... I assured the "support person" that she was wrong. Finally, she suggested that I re-run the update. Which I did.
    I got a message at the end that the FW was incompatible with my device, but when I finished it showed that my SW/FW is correct and Docs to Go is the correct version.
    Anyway, if you have a problem with Docs to Go when you finish your update, try running the update again.
    That's my story.

Laurie Foss
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    Run the updater.exe from your computer again and get to the point where it asks you to backup your data (step 1). It will create a folder in your Palm directory called SwapApps which contains all the updated apps. Copy the folder to somewhere else then cancel the installation. Install what you need and you're all set. And make sure to use the Dataviz Tech tool to move the DocsToGo apps to your SD card if you have one and want to save space.

Have fun.
    Thanks Scotty!
    For the most part my Treo has worked like a charm since I got. Iíve had it for over a month and Iíve only had two resets, both caused by Versa Mail. I managed to transfer Password Plus, Pocket Money (with a 4 year old database) and my address book/calendar info with almost problems. It even worked well with my Logitech Bluetooth Headset.

My only real problem with the device is the 30-second backlight setting. My phone came with update 1.15cng already installed. I updated it to 1.17cng with no problems. But the backlight still kept resetting to 30 seconds after some calls. Not every call as before, but just after random calls. When I hang up, instead of just ending the call, the phone shuts the backlight off immediately. After that, the light turns off after 30 seconds each time. If I end the call and the backlight stays on after the call is ended, the backlight stays at the 2 minutes I set it to.

Cingular replaced my Treo with a new one, and I decided to take no chances with this one. I wanted nothing of my older Palms to make it to this device. Before I even turned the phone radio on, I did a zero-point reset and then installed the update. That went flawlessly. I downloaded a fresh copy of Password Plus and bought a new copy of Pocket Money. The old Pocket Money program was about 4 years old and was flagged by Hotsync for compatibility issues when I tried installing it on Treo #1. I installed it anyway and it worked fine. But I installed a brand new fresh version of Pocket Money for Treo #2. Afterward, all phonebook and calendar data was manually entered (that took forever).

With Treo #1, I simply took the SIM card out of my old cell phone and put it into the Treo. But, with Treo #2, I called Cingular and they activated the SIM that it came with.

So, Treo #2 had absolutely no contact with anything from Treo #1. ButÖ the backlight issue returned exactly as before. I even tried the app StopDim, that some people said fixes the bug, but the phone still returned to 30-second backlight. Palm offered a code that turns off the backlight auto-off feature completely. When entered, this code would keep the backlight onÖ forever, unless manually turned off. Even with that code entered in, the backlight still turned off after 30 seconds.

I really like this phone. I love having Pocket Money on my cell phone, where I can update records anytime I swipe my credit or debit card. The backlight wouldnít be that big a deal except that when it shuts off and I restart, Pocket Money goes to password and I have to work my way back to the data I was working with. Itís getting to be real annoying. And I would like to try some other accessories, like the GPS Navigation or presentation software, but I donít know how they will run with this bug continuing. This bug is a monster!

Iíve done the update to 1.17cng about 10 times already and it keeps happening each time. Iíve removed the desktop PC software and reinstalled it, several times. It even happens if I donít set VersaMail and donít install Pocket Money and Password Plus. Iím currently working on the really wacky theory that maybe my Bluetooth headset is causing it. I donít see how or why, but Iím testing anything I can.

------------------------
    Conclusion: After update 1.17CNG my Treo still shuts off after 30 seconds despite my numerous attempts and different methods.

Good news: It doesn't go back to 30 seconds after every call like before.
    Bad news: After a random call, it'll go back to 30seconds.

Anyone has any ideas?
    Last edited by santiago2274; 12/14/2005 at 03:05 PM.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Software: 1.17-CNG
    Firmware: 01.51 Hardware: A
    All that was about the 30s off timer that the 1.15 update does? I got a little lost. If so, there is a program out there that fixes it, someone else can suggest it, I forget the name. AutoOff I think it is. Sets the off timer after every program execution, so that it always is correct.

The Cingular update changes it to 30s during a call but never changes it back. Someone dropped the ball on that one.. And as I understand, the 1.17 update didn't fix it, but I might be wrong there.
    Sorry about that. I get a long winded. I basically copy and pasted an email I sent to Palm and Cingular.

But, I think my Bluetooth headset theory is becoming more solid. Iíve stopped using my headset (and removed it from the Trusted Device list) and I havenít had a backlight reset yet.

Iíll be keeping a close eye on this for the next few days and post what I find.

I use a Logitech "Mobile Freedom Bluetooth Headset."
    Cingular Treo 650
    Software: 1.17-CNG
    Firmware: 01.51 Hardware: A
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    All that was about the 30s off timer that the 1.15 update does? I got a little lost. If so, there is a program out there that fixes it, someone else can suggest it, I forget the name. AutoOff I think it is. Sets the off timer after every program execution, so that it always is correct.
    StopDim is what you meant.

Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    This is what leads me to beleive it's a problem with the firmware not a third party app.

I beleive the resets are happening when the Treo is communicating with the network for some reason (calls, web, status etc.)
    lgreenberg,
    did you ever do the Hard Reset thing??

I finally broke down and did it....spent two days getting the phone back in order...Things appear to be MUCH better. So far only one reset in 2 days.
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
    I haven't had the guts to do it.
    I haven't had the guts to do it.
    If you have BackupBuddy there is no reason to fear....one click and you are back where you started. I'm glad I finally did it...I cleared out some cobwebs.
    Though, resets are still happening...had two more tonight, it does seem much better. I think Palm gave us a bum update (1.17). Hopefully they will fix this soon.
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
    Yeah the main reason I haven't done it is I'm convinced it's firmware related not third party app related since most of the resets seem to be happening when the phone is connected to the network in some way.

I just don't want to go through the pain of reloading apps one by one only to find it didn't help.
    Yeah the main reason I haven't done it is I'm convinced it's firmware related not third party app related since most of the resets seem to be happening when the phone is connected to the network in some way.

I just don't want to go through the pain of reloading apps one by one only to find it didn't help.
    I was also having intermittent spontaneous resets after upgrading to Cingular firmware 1.17. These were mostly happening when running apps which accessed the network (Blazer, Treo Alarm, PTunes, and Phone). I HotSynched my Treo and did a full backup using BackupBuddy for Windows. Afterwards, I performed a hard reset and then a "ZoomBack" restore with BackupBuddy. This was one week ago today, and I have not experienced any spontaneous resets since then. I have no idea what caused the original problem, but it hasn't come back... yet.
    what apps are you running?
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
    Hey all,

I have had nothing but problems with Treo's running 1.15-CNG. Those being the screen flashing on and off accompanied by an annoying beep everytime the screen went off and back on during every conversation. Supposedly 1.17-CNG fixed this??? Reading this thread, it doesn't sound like it does. I am still running 1.04!!!!!!!

What is it with the firmware upgrades with the Cingular Treo 650? Nothing but problems apparently. 1.04 works pretty well. WHY is Palm releasing firmware updates that CAUSE problems instead fixing them??? Or am I missing something here?
    I've only had one spontaneous reset (on it's own when the phone was on my desk) since the hard reset/selective restore. Fortunately with most apps on the card already via zLauncher, restoring was pretty painless..