Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 813141516171819202122 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Taroliw.. So is this your first timed trolled, or were you just rolling with it?
    If it's a troll, as least it's a plausible one. RFI is real and can cause problems. You should see how much shielding goes into big iron (even high-end disk arrays) in datacenters. Actually, the first thought that ran through my mind was "wow, I thought Sonys would hold up better to RFI... glad I don't own one."

In the car, I actually have had this phone cause problems in seat sensors. My old CLK kept wigging out because it thought someone should have been belted in the passenger seat when I put the cell phone in it. I have read of other stories that involved things like cruise control malfunctions or components that had basically hung and had to be power cycled to restore operation -- but neve anything as bad as an ECU failure or engine stopping.

It's also no accident that cell phones are banned in hospitals and during takeoff and landing of aircraft. These have been hugely debated, but the bottom line for me is... if you care, then don't risk it. This might seem trivial with a laptop -- you have backups... right? -- but when it comes to personal safety, I'll turn the radio off entirely if there's any doubt whatsoever. A phone call or an email is totally not worth it if it means I might not be there to answer the next one.

For me, the RFI from GSM seems limited mostly to that annoying buzzing that gets picked up by audio amplifiers, and sometimes flickering of CRT and LCD displays the phone is near.
    I thought it was a good answer too.
    Unlocked -1.51---117-CNG
    Handspring Deluxe w/phone->Treo 180->Treo 650
    My update would not work until I did a warm reset and then ran it off my computer. Then it updated with no problems.

I am enjoying the keyboard light adjustment! Also, when I first reset and restored everything I had about 4mb free whereas I has 12 before the upgrade. I deleted all the install programs that were left over, and even though they only amounted to a few hundred kb, I got all my space back.
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    I'm still seeing a lot of resets. Mostly when making calls. Right when the call goes to connect, boom soft reset.

I've removed 2Day, TakePhone, Verichat and a few other apps to see if the resets stop.
    Any update?

BTW- I disabled Butlers Keyguard, and am now just using the Treo Keyguard...
    so far not a single reset, and the screen sleep bug seems to be gone too. I have it set to 2 minutes in Treo prefs and it is staying on 2 minutes(it used to reset back to 30 secs after awhile).

I hope this has solved my reset issues for good.

***EDIT***
    Moments after posting, the phone reset as I dialed a number.
    #*377 reports:
    A reset was caused on 12/2/05 at 1:04pm while running "Phone":
    Fatal Exception
    Last edited by digitalfx; 12/02/2005 at 01:09 PM.
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Hi all,
    After installing the 1.17 update via Missing Sync, the phone tells me to plug into an outlet to continue. I do that, tap "OK" and it says "Update not compatible with this phone". Using Mac OS X and a Treo with 1.15 version currently. I'd be glad to provide you with any other info. Thanks!
    TAROLIW...my original problem with my laptop freezing appears to have been isolated to a hotel very close to the approach end of Detroit Metro airport. Now, I'm at a different hotel in Burlington, Vermont and I have had no issues with my laptop thus far. I guess I overreacted with the Treo-Laptop connection. I'm guessing it was strong RFI. At any rate, thanks again for your input.

BTW, a cellphone's RFI sometimes cause our aircraft's smoke detectors to sound a false alarm.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalfx
    Any update?

BTW- I disabled Butlers Keyguard, and am now just using the Treo Keyguard...
    so far not a single reset, and the screen sleep bug seems to be gone too. I have it set to 2 minutes in Treo prefs and it is staying on 2 minutes(it used to reset back to 30 secs after awhile).

I hope this has solved my reset issues for good.

***EDIT***
    Moments after posting, the phone reset as I dialed a number.
    #*377 reports:
    A reset was caused on 12/2/05 at 1:04pm while running "Phone":
    Fatal Exception
    Ahh, I hate it when that happens.

No joy for me either. I've been running with Verichat, TakePhone, 2Day and a few others off my phone. Yesterday I had at least four resets. Twice my phone rang once and then proceeded to soft reset. It didn't even give me enough time to see who was calling.

I guess the next step will be as someone else suggested. Back up, hard reset and run for a bit to see if the resets still happen.
    I guess the next step will be as someone else suggested. Back up, hard reset and run for a bit to see if the resets still happen.

so are you saying you will be the guinne pig?
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
    I guess so.
    lg,

things have been pretty stable for me since the hard reset and selective restore of apps. No spontaneous resets yet.

Haven't added Causerie or Brightcam back into the mix yet however. Wonder if some leftover settings from dbCachetool had caused some of the issues (even after I had deleted it?)

One odd thing that is occurring (although not necessarily a bad thing) is that when my Treo crashes when the phone is on (after a crash, not a manual soft reset), the phone turns itself back on. Lightwav is the only program I have that turns the phone on after a soft reset but I don't have that feature enabled. Has this been the way the 650 has always worked? I always thought by default the phone would stay off after a soft reset, regardless of if it was caused by a manual soft reset or a crash

Edit -- don't have anything locked with Resco Locker either BTW at the moment.
    Last edited by scottymomo; 12/03/2005 at 11:39 AM.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    One odd thing that is occurring (although not necessarily a bad thing) is that when my Treo crashes when the phone is on (after a crash, not a manual soft reset), the phone turns itself back on. Lightwav is the only program I have that turns the phone on after a soft reset but I don't have that feature enabled. Has this been the way the 650 has always worked? I always thought by default the phone would stay off after a soft reset, regardless of if it was caused by a manual soft reset or a crash.
    This happens on my Sprint 1.12fw Treo also. I haven't quite figured out the pattern though because sometimes the phone will automatically come on right away but other times it won't come on until ProfileCare turns it on after it's 30 second programmed delay. I've verified I don't have any other apps set to do this (e.g. TreoGuard).
    Edit -- don't have anything locked with Resco Locker either BTW at the moment.
    You might need to RL Causerie if/when you put it back on if the new cache manager causes the same problem with Causerie that dbCacheTool did. I think we traded posts on this topic awhile back, but don't remember how it ended up.
    Forgot, I don't have Treoguard running either (have not restored it). Going to load up causerie and see how things go...

One odd thing that is occurring (although not necessarily a bad thing) is that when my Treo crashes when the phone is on (after a crash, not a manual soft reset), the phone turns itself back on.
    My Cingular phones turn the phone back on after a reset (crash, not manual) on the first reset. Not on the second. It's normal on CNG phones, I think.
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    Interestin...

I think the "turn on after reset" was added to the firmware in the last update, 1.15.

Scotty, can you list all the apps you have running?
    Currently in RAM:

Fonts4OS5
    Causerie
    QuickNews
    Lightwav
    Audible+AudibleAir
    Opera Mini (with Java)
    Keycaps (doomsey's modified version)
    KeyguardTime+ 5.1.1
    Palminternals
    RescoLocker (not being used)
    RescoBackup
    zLauncher (with QuickLaunch Anywhere enabled)
    PocketTunes
    PalmaryClock

I think the "turn on after reset" was added to the firmware in the last update, 1.15.

Scotty, can you list all the apps you have running?
    I've had this since 1.04/1.05
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    Quote Originally Posted by mkbomb
    Hi all,
    After installing the 1.17 update via Missing Sync, the phone tells me to plug into an outlet to continue. I do that, tap "OK" and it says "Update not compatible with this phone". Using Mac OS X and a Treo with 1.15 version currently. I'd be glad to provide you with any other info. Thanks!
    I'm new to this - have had my 650 for about a month. I'm using Mac OSX with Missing Sync and was able to install the 1.17 from 1.15 without any issues. I haven't added many applications, except that I do run Goodlink. I had the phone plugged in the whole time. Not sure if that would be an issue or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by nutech
    The phone has 1 year warranty so call Cingular and ask for a replacement. If your phone out of warranty then you're out of luck. I called them for a replacement and got mine.
    Me too
    Currently in RAM:

Fonts4OS5
    Causerie
    QuickNews
    Lightwav
    Audible+AudibleAir
    Opera Mini (with Java)
    KeyguardTime+ 5.1.1
    Palminternals
    RescoLocker (not being used)
    RescoBackup
    PocketTunes
    PalmaryClock

Here's what we have in common:

Lightwav
    KeyguardTime+ 5.1.1
    PocketTunes