Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    #275 - true words....I've just learned my lesson and will stay away from these in future. The benefits are often less than essential, but then again, if the machine would work as advertised in the beginning there would be no need or temptation to fix it with a hack...
    Treo 650 | 01.51| 1.17 - CNG |
    Wow so many posts. I had about 25 posts the night I did this, check pages 1-6 of this thread. Anywho, did anyone from Palm or Cingular realize that the are having issue's??
    I'll tell you this my phone is working amazing after this update, I was getting the MMnotify crashes alot and now not a crash yet, (knock on wood) and the phone is much faster across the board now.
    What is the correct upgrade route for a Cingular phone running software 1.13-ROW and firmware 01.28?

When I try to run the 1.17/1.51 installer I am told that my phone won't stand for it.

I don't want to lose DUN or Network Select, BTW.

Thanks.

Roger
    Cingular Treo 650
    FW 01.51 SW Treo650-1.b17-CNG
    Mac OSX.4.6
    RSCOW:

Once you convert to ROW you need to upgrade via ROW, unless you convert back to Cingular, then you can upgrade to 1.17.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    kagudesu -

Not sure what happened, but my email is working correctly now with no resets. I called Cingular yesterday. The support rep made some sort of change on her end and asked me to send an email to myself thru my Notes server. I discovered that our Notes server was down for maintenance over the holiday weekend. So I couldn't test the fix.

This afternoon my email began to work correctly. I am not sure if it was the support rep's change or the fact that Cingular had to re-connect to my Notes server. At any rate, I am up a running again with no resets. Thanks for your suggestion.
    Quote Originally Posted by rscow
    What is the correct upgrade route for a Cingular phone running software 1.13-ROW and firmware 01.28? When I try to run the 1.17/1.51 installer I am told that my phone won't stand for it. I don't want to lose DUN or Network Select, BTW.
    I think I have read one account that suggests you'll have to apply 1.15CNG before upgrading to 1.17. The important thing is that you will have to get off of ROW before you can apply the CNG updater. I'd suggest searching for threads, because I do recall seeing posts from folks who originally took ROW (on branded/locked phones) and later switched to 1.17

As for the network select and DUN, you'll get what the vendor's sofwtare customizations bring. If you really don't want their customizations, then don't apply CN* ROM code. Just wait for the upcoming ROW updater.
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw
    I think I have read one account that suggests you'll have to apply 1.15CNG before upgrading to 1.17. The important thing is that you will have to get off of ROW before you can apply the CNG updater.
    I found the posting in THIS thread... #222
    Hello, all. Perhaps it's odd that my first post is in this thread, but...my Treo comes tomorrow from Cingular. I've been a busy little bee reading everything on this board so that I'm ready, and I saw the update on Palm's site a few days ago. It stands to reason that without any 3rd party apps installed, and fresh out of the box, the update should work, without needing to update anything before-hand (like I should already be at 1.17, etc.). Am I right? I figured I would swap SIMs and get my contacts over after this was all done, but since all of you are so helpful and enlightened ) I figured I'd ask first before I killed it straight-away, lol.
    Can't say for sure if your new Treo will come with the update already done or not.

If I had to guess I'd say it won't. Chances the Treo you're getting was produced and package before the update was released. So no, you won't already have a device with 1.17 installed. You'll still need to do the update.

But like you said since you won't have anything installed on it yet it should go very smoth. Should being the operative word here.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    Find someone with an AT&T or Tmobile SIM card and try it out. I would bet it's still unlocked. The CNG firmware doesn't give you the network select option in the phone screen like the CNB firmware does..not sure why DUN would have disappeared. Are you using a different phone overlay as has been discussed earlier?
    FYI just to set the record straight.

The network select option existing on CNB and not on CNG is not a function of it being removed from the firmware. CNG, CNB, ROW, and all of them have the same function to remove 'select network' if the phone is instructed to do so. It's a matter of what SIM you're using in the phone.
    An AT&T (CNB, aka Cingular blue) SIM does not have the instruction set to hide the network select menu option on the phone.
    A Cingular (CNG, aka Cingular Orange) SIM does have the instruction set to hide the network select option.
    So since you normally use a CNB SIM in a CNB Treo, and a CNG SIM in a CNG Treo, it may seem like it's the phone software, it's a logical assumption.
    If you put a CNG SIM in any version treo and "select network" will disappear. Put a CNB SIM in any version treo and "select network" will still be there. But in order to do so the Treo's involved would have to be unlocked to take any SIM.
    I only know this because in the past we had threads that investigated this in detail in an attempt to find a hack, which we did.

This is what the PhoneEn_US.prc overlay hack is for. It switches the 1 byte ID of the "select network" option so then the phone hides that particular menu item number (ID), select network's doesn't match and is therefore not suppressed. Since that's the only thing it does, it's quite safe to use as long as you use the overlay version that matches your software version. Each software update sometimes there's a minor change to that overlay so I use the file from that version of software and hack it so it's 100% compatible.

It's highly advisable to delete the overlay file before installing a software update otherwise it may remain and end up being the wrong version after you update.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    I'm having a very strange issue w/ upgrading, maybe one of our experts can help with.

I have an AT&T (unbranded cingular) version of the t650.

I switched to the "unlocked" firmware several month ago so I'd be able to take advantage of the latest update at that time. 1.1.3 I believe.

Yesterday I attempted to revert to the old Cingular firmware using instructions found within treo site pages.

My phone info screen now states Firmware 01.23 and Software: Treo650-1.06/5052/0.????? (I can't read the rest)

I tried applying the latest 1.1.7 update as well as the previous 1.1.5 updates, but I get the same message "incompatible device"

My questions are as follows.

Is this the cingular 1.2.3 version?
    Can I upgrade this to the latest 1.17
    Are there steps I'm missing?
    Am I screwed?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
    Tony Ricciardi
    Owner
    www.MacSupport.com
  13. aph
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Sounds like you flashed a CNB phone to the CNG firmware
    Quick update on my spontaneous reset issues, it appears Causerie is the cause as I temporarily deleted it and the spontaneous resets have stopped (at least for the last couple of days). Never had a problem with it before the update however...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    I am very happy with the 1.17 upgrade. I can get yahoo mail fine but am having a problem with outlook mail on corporate server. When I try to get mail, response is that I have the wrong server address. We have not changed this address on our server. Am I missing something?

John
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    Quick update on my spontaneous reset issues, it appears Causerie is the cause as I temporarily deleted it and the spontaneous resets have stopped (at least for the last couple of days). Never had a problem with it before the update however...
    Are they truly spontaneous resets or is it a problem only during initial startup after a reset? If the latter, I'd suggest you Resco Lock Causerie. I had a similar problem caused in part by dbCacheTool flushing runtime libs Causerie depended on to get started. Given the 1.17 fw update now does more cache management, thought it might be a similar problem.

If ##377 gives you a memory address, check it against the callback address shown for Causerie in PalmInternals. If they are within a few bytes of each other, Causerie is getting moved around unexpectedly. Resco should take care of it.
    Hmmm,

I don't use Causerie so I know that's not causing my issue.

Just received my first incoming call of the day. One ring and my Treo soft reset.
    Not good. I assume no ringtone managers or other apps that trap for a phone call? ##377 give you anything?
    The reset log for the last one shows:

"A reset was caused on 11/28/05 at 10:49 am while running "Phone":

Emul68KMain.c,
    Line:438, line 1010
    exception at address
    64063290"
    Not immensely helpful is it? I'm not really sure what to tell you, but I did a search here and at mtdn for Emul68KMain. Didn't find anything here, but got quite a few hits at mtdn. One direct hit was this post but I'm not sure it applies for you or not.