1.    #1  
    My 650 keeps shutting off and it seems to be random. Some mornings I will find that the phone says "Phone Off." It will turn off while charging, while not charging, while I'm on the phone talking to someone, while in an app (like Calendar or Ultrasoft Money), while driving or walking, etc. It doesn't matter where or what time of day.

It all started when I was driving up north on the way to Mammoth (somewhere in Inyo county or Mono county about 300 miles from home in LA county) and my friend called. This was about a month and a half ago. I had just finished porting my number from Cingular to T-Mobile. The phone didn't ring but showed that I had a voicemail. I tried calling but my phone seemed to hang, like it was busy. It was going really slow, so I did a soft reset. The first problem was that people calling me wouldn't ring through. Sometimes they wouldn't even get to my voicemail. That lasted a couple weeks and now my phone just shuts off. Some days it'll be fine; others, it'll shut off every minute until I do a soft reset. Then it will shut off again after a few hours.

My original thought was that roaming somehow caused this. Then I thought that porting the number might have something to do with it. I think I had the phone for about a month (working perfectly) before I decided to have my old number ported.

I haven't done a hard reset yet because I don't want to reinstall everything, except as a last resort.

Does anyone have a clue?

Cingular branded Treo 650 (bought unlocked)
    Firmware: 01.23
    Software: Treo650-1.06/5052/0.. (characters scroll off screen)
    Hardware: A
    palmOne Treo 650 (Unlocked Cingular on T-Mobile)
    Firmware: 01.23 | Software: Treo650-1.06/5052/0... | Hardware: A
    Might be your sim tray
  3.    #3  
    Anything specific that I should be looking for? I've already reinserted the SIM card and it still shuts off.
    Try cutting out two pieces of paper (standard paper like copier/laser/printer paper) in the shape of the sim tray. Put those two pieces of paper in the sim tray and then put the sim card into the sim tray. Then insert the the sim tray and see if you are still having the phone shutoff for no reason.

If that solves it, I believe I read that Cingular is replacing sim trays with a new one that's redesigned to fix this problem (not positive though).

If that doesn't solve it, then it's either bad hardware or a software conflict that is somehow causing the problem. That would call for a hard reset and being carefull about what software you put back. After that, it's a return to palm.
  5.    #5  
    I'll give that a shot and see how it goes. Thanks!!