Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can you charge your Treo via the sync cable?
    Yes, it will trickle-charge through the USB port. It is very slow.
    Zane
    I contacted Palm about this, and they tell me that the sync cable that comes WITH the 650 DOESN'T charge. Those two power wires are not even connected.

Instead, you have to plug the charger into the socket in the BACK of the big wide pluggy thingy on the sync cable that goes into the device.

It is a real pain. I had a HP PDA before this, and it charged on USB which was great. Palm's (Duh!) solution means you have to have your charger with you at the office.

My way around it is to use the BT headset charger when at home, and keep the 650 charger at work.

Dunno about cradles. They MAY trickle charge, but the sync cable certainly is a fizzer in that department.
    But it does.

Try it. Connect the sync cable and leave the Treo unused for a couple of hours. Check battery levels. It would have gone up up by 1-2 %.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    aprasand - when plug in w sync cable, the LED doesn't turn to red though.
    CNG ATTWS Treo650
    No it doesn't. I wasn't aware of the trickle charge feature myself until these threads:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...hlight=trickle

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...hlight=trickle
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    It also depends on the usb port it is plugged into. Some give more juice than others. At work my treo stays plugged in without an independent power connection and roughly maintains its charge. The usb gives just enough juice it replace the power used by being on and making a few calls.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    The sync cable hat comes with the treo will not "charge" the unit from a USB port. You can do this by using a third party cable that is available from many sources. I use an Insten cradle connected to a USB port for my 600. Fully charges in a few hours.
    Please try it and see. Mine charges at the rate of 1-2% per hour. Seriously.

So many people in the threads I posted above cannot be wrong.

Edit: My comments are about the Treo 650. Maybe the 600 is different.
    Last edited by aprasad; 11/22/2005 at 08:43 AM. Reason: correction
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Please try it and see. Mine charges at the rate of 1-2% per hour. Seriously.

So many people in the threads I posted above cannot be wrong.

Edit: My comments are about the Treo 650. Maybe the 600 is different.
    I don't think October was denying you. Notice the quotation in his post.

I think you agree that 1-2% an hour is not "charging" your device.
    If you want to really charge it get one of these
    http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...PROD&ProdID=18
    I've got the retractable version...very small and handy to have for sync'ing and charging with your desktop or laptop
    In the past, I've taken my laptop and only my sync/charge cable on the road. I plug in my laptop at night and the Treo via sync cable and put it to sleep for the night. In the morning Treo is fully charged. Not bad to not have to take a power adapter.
    Mine does more than 1-2% per hour. As I posted in one of the referenced threads...mine will go from 40-50% to FULL charge during my work day using the stock sync cable. I have it plugged into a USB hub attached to my work computer.
    Hi,

This is Kevin from Palm. This question comes up from time to time. I can confirm what others have stated. The USB cable, on its own, will usually "trickle" charge the Treo 650, though it's a relatively slow process. Occasionally, a particular USB port may be underpowered and won't do a charge. Sometimes trying a different port on the desktop or laptop can make a difference. The red light will not come on to indicate charging because the USB doesn't supply enough power to do that. The best one can do is give it a try and see what the results are. I can get 4% increase in battery level after an hour with a Dell desktop.

Sincerely
    Kevin
    Last edited by Kevin Michaels; 11/23/2005 at 04:17 PM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Kevin Michaels
    kevin.michaels@palm.com
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Check out what’s new at
    http://www.palm.com/
    Global Posts
    474 Global Posts
    anyone know if the USB cord that come with this kit can charge the phone without the cradle? or does the usb cord MUST be used with the cradle in order to charge?

the reason i ask, is that the USB sync that came in the Treo box does sync but does NOT charge....

meaning if i was to use that same cord into a car USB adapter power supply would it work? i dont want to have to buy two things twice, ya know?

(model # 3198WW )

http://store.everythingtreo.com/stor.../large/109.jpg
    Sprint Treo 755p (ex-650) user and loving it.
    1.04-SPNT
    As far as I know the cord that came with the box and that came with the cradle are identical. Neither can charge the Treo without the charger cable being attached to the little socket on the back of the plug that goes into the Treo.

I use a Seidio Charge & Sync Cable (8" with hotsync button) to do both.

Hope that helped.
    Prio Treo
    Unlocked Unbranded Treo 650 on T-Mobile-T-Zone
    I may or may not understand your question, so I'll assume I know what you're asking!

The USB cord doesn't charge, it only syncs. That's regardless of whether it's plugged into the cradle or directly into your phone. The charging cable (either the travel or car chargers) can either be plugged directly into the phone or into the sync cable. I hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    474 Global Posts
    doh. ok, that was my question. rephrased is: does the cradle kit's sync cord also charge. it looks like it doesnt.

i need to get a car adaptor too, but if the cord doesnt charge, that means i have to get ANOTHER chargable cord.

hmmm

what's the best combo pack to buy??? *frustrated*

what i need is:
    -car charger
    -cradle that can charge TWO batteries (in phone and loose)
    1.04-SPNT
    Quote Originally Posted by ike301
    doh. ok, that was my question. rephrased is: does the cradle kit's sync cord also charge. it looks like it doesnt.

i need to get a car adaptor too, but if the cord doesnt charge, that means i have to get ANOTHER chargable cord.

hmmm

what's the best combo pack to buy??? *frustrated*

what i need is:
    -car charger
    -cradle that can charge TWO batteries (in phone and loose)
    The cradle in your picture can charge two batteries. I don't know if you have it already, but there is a door that flips down and you can drop it in there to charge it. You can't get to it when the phone is in the cradle, but you should find it rather easily when it's out.

Also, the cradle should have come with both a sync cable and a charge cable. The sync cable has the wide end with the button on it. The charging cable has a small end that can either plug directly into the phone (assuming the sync cable isn't plugged in) or into the back of the sync cable so you can charge and sync your phone simultaneously.

If you have the package in the pic you posted then you already have all of this, along with the charge and sync cords that came with your phone. All you'll need then is a car charger to complete your list.

The 600 has a USB cable that charges AND syncs. I don't know if Palm ever made one for the 650, though. Either way, if you travel a lot in your car you should be able to plug the car charger into the sync cable so you can charge it while it's connected in the car.
    Global Posts
    474 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tone
    The cradle in your picture can charge two batteries. I don't know if you have it already, but there is a door that flips down and you can drop it in there to charge it. You can't get to it when the phone is in the cradle, but you should find it rather easily when it's out.

Also, the cradle should have come with both a sync cable and a charge cable. The sync cable has the wide end with the button on it. The charging cable has a small end that can either plug directly into the phone (assuming the sync cable isn't plugged in) or into the back of the sync cable so you can charge and sync your phone simultaneously.

If you have the package in the pic you posted then you already have all of this, along with the charge and sync cords that came with your phone. All you'll need then is a car charger to complete your list.

The 600 has a USB cable that charges AND syncs. I don't know if Palm ever made one for the 650, though. Either way, if you travel a lot in your car you should be able to plug the car charger into the sync cable so you can charge it while it's connected in the car.
    -didnt buy it yet.
    -i was hoping the kit had a cord that sync'd AND charged. but i guess not.

thanks for clearing it up. i just didnt want to have to buy the kit, buy the car charger adaptor, then realize i still had to buy a CHARGE USB cord.

these palm guys are really smart.
    1.04-SPNT
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast