Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am considering buying the Tom Tom navigation 5 software for my 650. But I wanted to know if anyone here has this or any like apps for your device?

A liitle input would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Without a doubt, TomTom Navigator 5 is da bomb. Awesome application on the Treo 650. Works like a charm. I bought the $219 bundle from semsons.com which comes with a bluetooth GPS receiver (with latest chipset), the TomTom software (includes all maps for USA & Canada) and a universal auto vent mount for your Treo 650.

I like the blue tooth GPS receiver over the wired versions because it is more versatle. For example, I can take my navigation system with me and have it in my pocket while using TT5 on the Treo. Works with IntelliGolf for yardages on the golf course, use the GPS receiver when hiking, etc.

This bundle addes a whole new dimension to my Treo 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waza
    I am considering buying the Tom Tom navigation 5 software for my 650. But I wanted to know if anyone here has this or any like apps for your device?

Thanks.
    Lots of info to be had here. For starters try a search or go to the 'Bluetooth' forum and scroll a little.
    That price is great! I see they have the one with the TomTom GPS and a vent mount for $259. TomTom sells the same thing direct for $299 w/o a mount. How reputable is semsons.com?
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    I use Tom Tom with the Globalsat BT-338 bluetooth receiver. I can say, I have not had any problems with the receiver, I think over the past month I have had it, I have lost satellite signal 2 or 3 times. It's awesome, aquires fast, usually in 30 seconds or less. I just throw put it in the protective pouch and throw it on the dash near the windshield. Lots of people have used the same receiver and said once they get a satellite fix, they throw it in the glove box or center console. I can confirm it would probably work, because I have also put mine in a little gadget holder in the dash, out of direct view, and it also works great there!
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    Love the TomTom software. It's amazing. I used Mapopolis for the last 2 years or so and really never liked it. I cannot believe how much of an upgrade it is to go from one to the other. It's like going from an old clunker to a new Cadillac. So easy to use, does everything just like you think it should and probably even better.
    Semsons.com is a very reputable dealer and they ship very quickly. I would definitly buy from them again.
  8.    #8  
    Wow, lots of good feedback.

I noticed there were different devices you could get with the software. Is the 338 the best to go with?
    Quote Originally Posted by Waza

Thanks.
    I do not think that you can do that. As far as I know, one cannot buy TomTom software. One can get it only as support for hardware GPSs. I too would like to be able to try the software but I am not prepared to buy a third GPS to get one.
    I have a seperate Garmin 76S handheld GPS unit. It can store waypoints, routes, tracks, WASS, Sun and Moon data, compass, trip computer. I use it for GeoCaching in the woods.

Some questions about this TomTom setup and BT GPS device.

1) Can you enter and store waypoints in TomTom?

2) Can you store tracks with TT?

3) Can you download waypoints into TT?

4) Can you walk around with the T650 with TT installed and the BT GPS without being hooked to the car?

5) How much memory does TT take up on the T650?

6) Is there a way to download the TT manual so I can see what TT does?
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    As far as I know, one cannot buy TomTom software. One can get it only as support for hardware GPSs. I too would like to be able to try the software but I am not prepared to buy a third GPS to get one.
    Actually you can. Semons is one source.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkEye
    Some questions about this TomTom setup and BT GPS device.

1) Can you enter and store waypoints in TomTom?

2) Can you store tracks with TT?

3) Can you download waypoints into TT?

4) Can you walk around with the T650 with TT installed and the BT GPS without being hooked to the car?

5) How much memory does TT take up on the T650?

6) Is there a way to download the TT manual so I can see what TT does?
    With regard to Navigator 5 for Palm OS:
    1. You can store destinations & other locations as favorites. TT uses "waypoints" in itinerary planning for intermediate locations.
    2. No. TT does not remember tracks but you can plan & save itineraries with waypoints and destinations.
    3. No. However TT comes with a large POI database and you can download additional POIs (for a fee).
    4. Yes. In fact it has options for walking and bicycle navigation.
    5. The basic program is 58.5K with about 12K of additional config files. Maps are stored on the SD card but generate additional small config files (about 4K each) internally.
    6. TTNav5 Manual
    TT5 and 650 with BT-380 Bluetooth GPS receiver from GlobalSat rock! Mapopolis works well also, but once you compare the interfaces, look and feel, TT5 is superior.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkEye
    4) Can you walk around with the T650 with TT installed and the BT GPS without being hooked to the car?.......
    Depends upon the GPS. I have two. One, the Holux, is battery powered. It does not care where the car is. The other, the iTrek, needs the car for power.

I await the answers to your other questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    Actually you can. Semons is one source.
    You are correct. It was on sale for $130- so I placed an order. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    I do not think that you can do that. As far as I know, one cannot buy TomTom software. One can get it only as support for hardware GPSs. I too would like to be able to try the software but I am not prepared to buy a third GPS to get one.
    tigergps.com for $125 for TomTom 5 Software only
    I just ordered the Palm GPS Navigator with TomTom for $240 from EverythingTreo.com but the PalmOne store JUST changed the price to $199 on their site, so if you're gonna order it, I'd look there. It's too late for me (and not worth the effort to return after paying for next-day shipping) but I'd check it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by sunspot_mike
    I just ordered the Palm GPS Navigator with TomTom for $240 from EverythingTreo.com but the PalmOne store JUST changed the price to $199 on their site, so if you're gonna order it, I'd look there. It's too late for me (and not worth the effort to return after paying for next-day shipping) but I'd check it out.
    Also, i wouldnt recommend this unit as it doesnt have the newer chipset in the GPS receiver.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Will this package allow you to find the latitude/longitude/elevation of your current location? Will it point to true north (built-in compass)?

Thx.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor
    Will this package allow you to find the latitude/longitude/elevation of your current location? Will it point to true north (built-in compass)?

Thx.

Lat/Long will be very accurate (within Feet)...
    Elevation is not very accurate (within 100's of feet)...
    It doesnt make a very good compass unless you are moving

ps...I 2nd Antelope's recommendation to avoid the PALM unit. It has the older SIRF II chipset which is less sensitive than the units with SIRF III.

SIRF III has been out for at least 6 months so almost all of the latest units (except the PALM have it

Look at http://www.semsons.com/gpshardware.html for some of the latest GPS receivers or goto the forums at www.gpspassion.com for tons of info on GPS stuff.

Also, Siedio has a couple new Treo Car Cradles (G4850/G2350) that have built in GPS Receivers (sirf III)
    www.siedioonline.com

There is some more discussion in the Accessories and Bluetooth forums at Treocentral
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast