Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    tigergps.com for $125 for TomTom 5 Software only
    Thank you.
    I considering buying the kit on treoStore for $239.99.

The only hangup I have is what happens if I upgrade my Treo 650 someday? Is it junk?

I guess the actual Treo could be used for the GPS alone and I wouldnt need the phone portion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonger1150
    I considering buying the kit on treoStore for $239.99.

The only hangup I have is what happens if I upgrade my Treo 650 someday? Is it junk?

I guess the actual Treo could be used for the GPS alone and I wouldnt need the phone portion.
    Probably more than junk. Like many applications it may accidentally work. However, to the best of my recollection, every Palm upgrade has orphaned one or more applications. The compatibility list for the TT5 is very long. That suggests to me that either, they are not particularly hardware sensitive, or they have gone to great pains to hide any such sensitivity. Standardization of the GPS hardware is excellent, interoperability very high, and compatibility problems vanishingly rare.

Visor>Palm Vx>Treo 180>Treo 270>Treo 600>Treo 650> ?
    The beauty of bluetooth, though, is that you essentially have wireless legos. I have the Mapopolis NavCard with the Mobile Crossing BT GPS. Even if your Treo dies, all you need is a BT device with mapping software. I use the same GPS with my laptop and Microsoft Streets and Trips.

One last thing: the greatest thing about the Mapopolis NavCard is that you don't have the added expense of buying an SD card. I got a bundle from Mapopolis for $250, and it came with a vent mount too. Then to install, all you do is pop in the SD card to the Treo, and you are set.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
    The Semsons GPS package with the global sat 338, and Tom-Tom 5.12 totally rocks.
    Not only that, but the Arkon vent mount that comes with it is a great piece of engineering as well.
    I did make some modifications to the vent mount clips so it fits properly on the dash of my car. Additionally, I beefed up the support with some thin gauge aluminum, due to the unorthodox design of my cars dash an older sc300.

There's one other modification, I performed as well, I took an x-acto blade and carved out a smooth sweeping curve on the left side, so I have full access to the side buttons. (I use keyboard lights off and my side button is set to be my trigger) vol button access is critical for me too.

I love the ratchet locking and unlocking design of the vent clip.

I might add that I always use the indespensible clear s650 skin on the Treo, and not only can I have the power cord plugged in, but simultaneously the audio out which feeds into my car stereo input. (The base of the clip has two holders with flexible placement, place them all the way on the left and the right)

Once you fully master Directory Assistants powers, saving found addresses to your contacts, en route course changes become fairly trivial.

Listening to something like the new Beck album on PTunes over your stereo while having Janes UK voice guide you with the GPS as an overlay gives you goosebumps the first couple times out on the road.

Passengers are bewildered and give me facial signals that let me know I have reached treogeek status.

Current Im in Brazil for a few weeks of work, my CDMA GPS Bluetooth 2gb enabled Treo cannot place a call or read treocentral,... but it still makes for a damn good alarm clock, MP3, game, and video player!
    Quote Originally Posted by ventnor1
    T.......

Current Im in Brazil for a few weeks of work, my CDMA GPS Bluetooth 2gb enabled Treo cannot place a call or read treocentral,... but it still makes for a damn good alarm clock, MP3, game, and video player!
    Last time I was in Brazil there was only AMPS. Had a Motorola, CDMA with analog backup, but could not use it because I could not speak enough Portuguese to get to a setup. Will my GSM work now?
    Dont really know, our CEO is coming in a few weeks with a GSM cingular treo 650, then we will confirm what works at what does not. (I am his treo coach.)

fyi, found out my avatar died, sucks,....

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10152429/from/ET/
    Quote Originally Posted by ventnor1
    ..... the Arkon vent mount that comes with it is a great piece of engineering as well.

I did make some modifications to the vent mount clips so it fits properly on the dash of my car. Additionally, I beefed up the support with some thin gauge aluminum, due to the unorthodox design of my cars dash an older sc300......
    I am more likely to use a GPS in a rental car than in my own. I carry hard-side velcro to mount my Treo, with permanent soft-side velcro, to the dash. Works very well except in a few cars where there is simply no convenient place to mount it. Then it does not work at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    I
    I carry hard-side velcro to mount my Treo, with permanent soft-side velcro, to the dash.
    What is that?
    I use a wired Holux GR-213 gps receiver with my Treo 650, powered by a Seidio G2100s cradle, so that I can use my BT car kit & remain legal when I am driving and still see TTN 5.12 giving me visual directions whilst on the call.

When on foot or bicycle I use my old Tom Tom Mk1 BT receiver. (or my T3 & car kit in another car.)

Tom Tom is the best in my experience & I've only covered 30,000 miles using it in the last year.
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Holux GPSlim236 GPS BT receiver & Tom Tom v5.201
    Quote Originally Posted by sunspot_mike
    I just ordered the Palm GPS Navigator with TomTom for $240 from EverythingTreo.com but the PalmOne store JUST changed the price to $199 on their site, so if you're gonna order it, I'd look there. It's too late for me (and not worth the effort to return after paying for next-day shipping) but I'd check it out.
    Looks like they didn't get my order out in the time I wanted it, so I cancelled and now am looking at a SiRF III chipset.

On semsons, they have the GlobalSat 338 unit and it's $30 cheaper than getting the TomTom unit, what's the difference between these units? It's hard to tell from the descriptions? Also, what's the difference between the TomTom official bundle and the one you can get for $279? The semsons one comes with a mount and the others don't, is that the best deal?
    Last edited by sunspot_mike; 11/25/2005 at 11:19 AM.
    Based on the research I did a few months ago, they were the cheapest. Also, the package is practically on your door step about three minutes after you enter your credit card info, which is nice,...not bad considering it came from cross country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer
    What is that?
    See http://www.velcro.com/

Velcro is a brand of hook-and-loop fastener. I buy it by the yard and use it to hold my life together.

It is sold as tape. The hook side, hard, has little plastic hooks that grab the loops on the soft side.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12