Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Hi everyone,
    I'm looking for a good GPS kit for treo 650? Any suggestion, please help. Thanks all.
    Tons of threads on this subject. TomTom seems to be the popular, Palm makes a nice set-up and Seidio just released an all-in-one gps unit (gps, charger, speaker phone). You can find a lot of good GPS modules but the key is to find one with good software. I've got the Delorme Blue Logger ($150) which has a nice GPS module but the software comes up short.
    TomTom 5 for Navigation software
    A GPS unit with the Sirf III chipset for the GPS receiver

If you want a complete in-car system...I'd recommend the new Seidio G4850..The Navigation kit comes with everything including a nice Speakerphone/Car cradle with Built in GPS receiver and the TomTom software for $299.

http://www.seidioonline.com/

I just got one of those and there are a couple threads on it in the Accessories forum. They will also announced a G2350 which will be a little cheaper since the cradle doesnt have a speaker & audio out (but it still has the GPS receiver and acts as a cradle/charger for the Treo). They said that will be out in a week or 2.

If you dont need a cradle than look at the Receiver/software bundles at www.semsons.com. They have good prices and are very helpful.
    I also use Tom Tom 5.12, with a Seidio G2100s cradle & wired GPS - Holux GR 213, so that I can use the BT car kit for phone calls & not fall foul of the police.

The Treo speaker is pleanty loud enough to be heard in the car without amplification - but I am using it in a 5 series BMW which is quiet, but it is only set on 37% volume.

attached is a photo of my installation. the GPS unit is inside the dashboard & the Seidio cradle is hardwired currently to the ignition.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MikeProcter; 11/28/2005 at 09:14 AM.
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Holux GPSlim236 GPS BT receiver & Tom Tom v5.201
    just got the seido and it is great. if you are on a mac, i just posted a mac setup
    Nice Setup Mike...

btw, the new Seidio G2350 is basically a G2100 with a wired GPS inside it
    Thanks davisdog. It is neat with no cables all over the place like I used to have.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeProcter
    Thanks davisdog. It is neat with no cables all over the place like I used to have.
    Looks like you got the pesky steering wheel out of the way too!
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    I understand that the Treo can not use both a BT headset and a BT GPS at the same time... And so, how does it function -- whichever unit attaches first locks the other out?

And for those with the Seidio G4850 or Seidio G2350... Given that this is a wired GPS, are you also able to use a BT headset? And how does that function? Can an incomming call interrupt Tom Tom, be answered via the BT headset and be passed back to Tom Tom?
    Quote Originally Posted by kd_cooke
    I understand that the Treo can not use both a BT headset and a BT GPS at the same time... And so, how does it function -- whichever unit attaches first locks the other out?

And for those with the Seidio G4850 or Seidio G2350... Given that this is a wired GPS, are you also able to use a BT headset? And how does that function? Can an incomming call interrupt Tom Tom, be answered via the BT headset and be passed back to Tom Tom?
    I use a wired setup, a Seidio G2100S cradle & a Holux GR213 wired receiver. When receiving an incoming call, the treo automatically answers it, set up in handfree in prefs, and transfers to my BT car kit, but would I hope do the same to a BT headset. Then ttn restarts and shows visual only directions until the phone call is ended.

As for which locks which out, If the BT headset is active (on a call) then you can not connect the BT GPS, but if the BT GPS is active (ttn running) then you can't receive a call on the BT headset.

So, which ever is active locks the other out.

Mike
    I took the plunge and ordered the G2350S w/ Tom Tom... I like the cleanness of not having to deal with wires and such. And since I have no plans to use this outside the car, a BT solution really wasn't needed -- besides, I'm much rarther have seemless use of a BT headset with a wired GPS than have to deal with BT swapping...

Regarding TT5, would folks mind sharing the amount of maps (in terms of # of states, etc, not in MB) they regularly carry and the size of their SD card. I'm on the fence about whether I really "need" a 2GB card given the great value of 1GB cards at the moment.

TIA.
    Kevin,
    It really depends what areas you regularily travel to...I believe the largest "single" Maps are ~200Mb and cover regions (such as the Western US states...Although I need to doublecheck the size). I carry my home state (California = 67Mb) + a couple states that I fly to which are smaller than that. If maps is the main thing you will have on the card then 1Gb will be fine...The 2Gb would only come into play if you want this to be your IPOD/MP3 Player also.

If you give me a list of the states you would want to carry I can fire up the install CD when I get home tonight and look up the specific sizes for the maps/regions you would want

ps...I think you made a good decision if you are looking for a simple in car nav setup with easy access to your B/T Headset.

-Steve
    Last edited by davisdog; 11/28/2005 at 10:21 PM.
    Kevin,
    I have Mid-Atlantic and New England, and it takes up 168 MB on my 1GB sd card. That's Virginia to Maine.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbenjami
    Looks like you got the pesky steering wheel out of the way too!
    We drive on the wrong side.....or is that the right side in the UK!
    Quote Originally Posted by kd_cooke
    , I'm much rarther have seemless use of a BT headset with a wired GPS than have to deal with BT swapping...
    TIA.
    My thoughts as well, only I use a BT carkit.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    So let me get this straight - if you're using the BT GPS, and a call comes in, you can't answer it on your BT headset? So then what do those of you who have a BT GPS do in this situation?

I'm looking at the Semsons iTrek for $219. If I dont want to spring for a fancy powered mount - which mount should I get - the vent or the windshield?

Thanks,
    --Charlie
    Quote Originally Posted by CharFeld
    So let me get this straight - if you're using the BT GPS, and a call comes in, you can't answer it on your BT headset? So then what do those of you who have a BT GPS do in this situation?Thanks,--Charlie
    Cry......

or use a wired headset

or answer the call & put the phone to your ear whilst driving (now ileagal in the UK)

or ignore the call.

or lose your way by taking the call on the BT headset.

or buy a wired gps receiver!
    </ begin childish whine>

Add me to the list of folks who are very disappointed with Seidio; specifically for their customer service (or should I say, LACK OF customer service) and ability to deliver a product when promised.

I'm about to embark on the trek from hell.... :-) With our new 6 month old son in tow, my wife and I are heading out Friday from our home in NC to Buffalo NY, then Syracuse, then downstate NY, and finally returning back home just after New Years.... I'm NOT looking forward to the trip -- travel time there, back and between all intermediary stops is just about 50 hours of drive time.

And so, to help us on our way I decide to purchase a Seidio GPS Cradle. I phones the company to insure that the unit is in stock and that it could be shipped on the next day. I also took on the extra cost for 2-day shipping to insure the unit will arrive before Friday. The very nice salesperson assured me that all would be well, she even said she'd note in the account that I needed the unit to arrive before Friday...

Anyway, long story short.... I call today only to learn that the unit has not shipped. That it's not in stock... huh??? More to the point, Seidio ran out of Tom Tom. And did not expect to receive their shipment until Monday. To add insult to injury, the rep I spoke with this afternoon could care less that they made promises they could not keep. After placing me on hold to read the notes in my account, she came back on the line to tell me the person who originally placed the order mis-informed me about their stock. She went on to say I would not have received the unit had it been in stock as they have 3-5 days to fulfill the order. She really went above and beyond make the customer happy, wouldn't you agree?

To be clear, I certainly don't blame a company for running out of stock... It happens. But I do blame a company that tells me one thing, and then turns around and tells me the exact opposite just 36 hours later.

Too late now to get anything else sent to me in time... I guess I'll have to risk getting lost somewhere in West Virginia :-) < no offence intended to West Virginian forum members or their families >

This is my first purchase with Seidio and I'm not very happy with them at the moment.

</ end childish whine>

Thanks for listening....
    I want to take a moment to commend Seidio for doing the right thing. While I did not receive the Tomtom and GPS bundle before I left, I did get a phone call and an apology from the Operations Manager at Seidio. At his cost, he overnighted the package to my home, where a neighbor sent it along to me -- I should have it tomorrow.

In the end, it was not an ideal scenario, but Seidio stepped up -- and it seems they are trying to do better at customer service.
    Good to hear...
    Did you ask your neighbor to send you some more Warm Clothes. I talked with my friends in Syracuse yesterday and they said it is COLD!!!!!

ps...good luck with the TomTom install...great program once you get it installed (but their installer is hit or miss)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast