1.    #1  
    I use a Treo 600 to sync with Outlook on my Win XP computer via USB. Sporadically, when I hit the sync button, the computer makes the noise as though a new device had been connected, but the hotsync window never appears. About 30 seconds later, the computer makes the noise as though a device has been disconnected, and I get an error message on my treo that the connection could not be established. There's no log of this in the computer's hotsync log. Other times it will just work fine. I've tried restarting the computer, reconnected the USB, nothing fixes this.

Any ideas?
    I found several hotsync connection problems were fixed on my laptop by performing the following:

- Double click on My Computer to open it
    - Right click on C Drive (local)
    - Select Properties
    - Select "Tools" tab
    - Select "Check Now" in Error-checking

You should get a message that the drive is in use and checking will occur after next restart. Restart the computer and the drive check (same as the old scan disk from prior OS's) will start. May take 30-40 minutes to complete, depending on whether or not you have done this previously.

Let us know if this works.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the suggestion talkin73, but I tried doing that and it didn't fix the problem. Any other ideas?
  4.    #4  
    Any more ideas? If not, what's the best way to get support on this?
    Go to Hotsync manager and then go to setup.> click on the Local tab. Change your speed of the connection to "as fast as possible" down to 57,600 or similarly a slower setting.

And then give that a try...often the usb port is set too fast and the computer will time out...especially on a fast processor and USB 2.0 devices.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by RSGMOOSE
    Go to Hotsync manager and then go to setup.> click on the Local tab. Change your speed of the connection to "as fast as possible" down to 57,600 or similarly a slower setting.
    Thanks Moose Man! That seems to have done the trick.
  7.    #7  
    I thought that resetting the connection speed fixed it -- definetly seems to make the error less frequent -- but the sync still won't work often. Any other ideas?
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I am having the same problem but with a 650. For the last four days I haven't been able to sync. Every time I connect the usb cable and hit the hotsync button the treo freezes for about 3 minutes and then displayes "the connection betweenyour handheld computer and the desktop could not be established. Please check your setup and try again".

any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoInCollege
    I thought that resetting the connection speed fixed it -- definetly seems to make the error less frequent -- but the sync still won't work often. Any other ideas?

As Talkin73 pointed out their might be a need to run some sort of utilities to help reestablish any shortcuts and problem issues. My best suggestion is to monitor the device manager if the issue occurs or during your next hot sync.

This is for both of you:

Right click on My Computer, choose properties, click on Hardware, then on device manager before hot syncing. When you hit the hot sync button then you should see a blip and the Palm device should show up. If it doesn't - well you'll never make a connection. There are typically two reasons for this - USB speed is to high for the connection/hotsync and the computer just doesn't see the button push. The other is that the software never got properly installed - this is highly unlikely.

Try the following: instead of initiating the hot sync via a button - launch hotsync on the device and then tap the screen to start the sync. This is typically a method used by Palm tech support to determine if the problem is cable related.

I actually have a bad Palm Treo 650 cradle. I ordered two - one for office and one for the road and couldn't get the one for the road to sync - the cable itself worked.

Also be certain that nothing else is checked in the hotsync. That is only have local(serial) or local USB selected. If you have network or modem checked then your telling the Palm OS that there might be another way - of which doesn't exist and it'll blip right over that.

Also, if your using some laptops with a docking station - these will just not connect sometimes and you've got to reconnect to a direct USB port rather than via the docking station or hub.
    Moose Man
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    As Talkin73 pointed out their might be a need to run some sort of utilities to help reestablish any shortcuts and problem issues. My best suggestion is to monitor the device manager if the issue occurs or during your next hot sync.

This is for both of you:

Right click on My Computer, choose properties, click on Hardware, then on device manager before hot syncing. When you hit the hot sync button then you should see a blip and the Palm device should show up. If it doesn't - well you'll never make a connection. There are typically two reasons for this - USB speed is to high for the connection/hotsync and the computer just doesn't see the button push. The other is that the software never got properly installed - this is highly unlikely.

Try the following: instead of initiating the hot sync via a button - launch hotsync on the device and then tap the screen to start the sync. This is typically a method used by Palm tech support to determine if the problem is cable related.

I actually have a bad Palm Treo 650 cradle. I ordered two - one for office and one for the road and couldn't get the one for the road to sync - the cable itself worked.

Also be certain that nothing else is checked in the hotsync. That is only have local(serial) or local USB selected. If you have network or modem checked then your telling the Palm OS that there might be another way - of which doesn't exist and it'll blip right over that.

Also, if your using some laptops with a docking station - these will just not connect sometimes and you've got to reconnect to a direct USB port rather than via the docking station or hub.

I followed everything you said here and it still not working. When im in the device manager screen and I tap the hotsync botton I can see a "blip" so guess that it is making some type of connection. it just doesn't get by "connecting with desktop using cradle/cable".
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I finally got it to sync. I went to the HotSync troubleshooting page on palmone's site LINK and step number 7 did it for me. Right click on your device manager and see if "local usb" has a check mark next to it. If not the click on it. This fixed the problem for me.

thanks for the help 'Moose.
    Last edited by Blaz3; 12/13/2005 at 10:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaz3
    I followed everything you said here and it still not working. When im in the device manager screen and I tap the hotsync botton I can see a "blip" so guess that it is making some type of connection. it just doesn't get by "connecting with desktop using cradle/cable".

Well the link that you provided shows a "picture" but it's exactly the same thing I said above. Local USB is selected.

And it's Moose not goose.
    Moose Man
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I apologize for the typo.

Thanks again for the help.
  14.    #14  
    Sorry for bringing this up again after so long, but I still can't get this fixed. I find I can usually get it to sync right after restarting the computer, but soon after that it won't work anymore. Of course it's extremely annoying to have to restart before every sync.

I followed Moose's diagnostics:

When I hit sync, the Palm device does show up and it even makes the connection sound, but the Hot Sync window simply never appears and nothing happens. After a couple of minutes, it disconnects and the Treo displays a message: "The connection between your handheld computer and the desktop could not be established."

Tried that and it didn't make any difference.

Only Local USB is checked.

I'm not using a docking station and I'm plugging directly into the computer.

Any other deas would be greatly appreciated!
  15.    #15  
    Any ideas? I'm still suffering.