1.    #1  
    Stated up front, I am not a tech head.

Puchased the 650 in March...ran fine until the past few weeks. Syncing became increasingly difficult. Finally, the phone wouldn't sync up at all. I purchased a new cable...no joy. Searched Treo Central, and downloaded the regedit software that Palm recommends. Reinstalled Palm software. No joy. Called Cingular, who patched me into Palm, who told me that my phone needed repair/replace. I opted replace, which sent me back to Cingular. 24 hours later the refurb shows up...looking great. Attempt to sync...no joy. Try, try again, no joy. Finally, a sync! All of my stuff gets placed on the Treo. I did a happy dance, which turned out to be premature. The phone kept shutting down with a "unable to locate profile" error. I hard boot the phone, and attempt to sync up again. No joy. Change ports, no joy. Changed cables, no joy. Called Cingular, who again patched me through to a very helpful Katie in the Philippines. 45 minutes later she said there is a problem with my computer and port management software.

My wits end is in sight. Does anyone have any ideas?
    What is your OS? I had problems like that with Tabletpc. Found out that it is not compatible. Intellisync fixed it. $29 but it was worth it.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by treo650fan1
    What is your OS? I had problems like that with Tabletpc. Found out that it is not compatible. Intellisync fixed it. $29 but it was worth it.
    Windows XP with service pack two. Kept up to date automatically.

I've had next to ZERO problems until recently. Very annoying.
  4.    #4  
    I can now sync via infared on my lap top. Not optimal, but functional.
    You stated that you purchased the regedit software but didn't specify which keys or what you edited.

Here's a couple of things to check:

Firewall settings. Even if you may not have a firewall software you do.....Windows XP SP2 has recently auto installed several security updates and if the darn thing isn't made by Bill Gates - it's look at as an attack. So go into your firewall settings and see if HotSync is allowed.

Device Manager: When you initiate a hotsync via the cable are you getting the "flash" screen on the Treo that indicates that a hot sync has been initiated? If the Treo is not recognizing the button push, then the UC is toast and will have to be replaced. If it does initiate, then go to the device manager and see if you get a "blip" in either the USB section or a seperate Palm Device section. Neither will show up until a HotSync is initiated so watch these as you push the hot sync button.

If Palm Device does show - it's most probably a Firewall issue.

If it doesn't show on the PC but does initiate on the Palm - then check your COM setting for your USB connection - should be COM1 or Com3 - try both.

Also, on the hotsync sys tray icon, click on it and make certain that only Local USB is checked. If you've got Network or just Local checked - it'll never recognize the USB no matter how hard you push the hotsync button.

And set the speed on the device under Setup to 115K not "as fast as possible".

Then report back your findings.....if you've installed the Palm Desktop more than about 3 times and have changed devices on this same computer - the registry is probably corrupted and will have to be expunged of all Palm references - period.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    I have the same problem. Used to have Treo300 that I synced with this same computer. Set up the 650 and it synced fine. Then, I couldn't sync. Same as above. The Treo thinks it is connecting, the computer sees it (shows up in device manager) but never connects. Now I have uninstalled and reinstalled Palm software numerous times trying to resolve the issue. We did get it to sync a few times and now it won't again. I was wondering if Versamail was the problem as both times it stopped syncing I had just set up Versamail to check AOL mail. That's the only idea I could come up with.

I followed all the steps on the Palm site and all the steps above except the last one. According to the post above I have to get the Palm entries out of the registry. Can you tell me where to look for them and what is safe to delete?
    VersaMail wont stop the connection. There have been a few issues resolved by doing one of the following:

1. Clean the connection points on the phone and insure the pins all line up.
    2. Remove the battery from the phone for about 2 minutes to let the USB chip in it completely dissipate. Put the battery back in and try again.
    Quote Originally Posted by gjvision
    I have the same problem. Used to have Treo300 that I synced with this same computer. Set up the 650 and it synced fine. Then, I couldn't sync. Same as above. The Treo thinks it is connecting, the computer sees it (shows up in device manager) but never connects. Now I have uninstalled and reinstalled Palm software numerous times trying to resolve the issue. We did get it to sync a few times and now it won't again. I was wondering if Versamail was the problem as both times it stopped syncing I had just set up Versamail to check AOL mail. That's the only idea I could come up with.

I followed all the steps on the Palm site and all the steps above except the last one. According to the post above I have to get the Palm entries out of the registry. Can you tell me where to look for them and what is safe to delete?
    If the device manager sees it and recognizes it as a Palm Device or similarly named Treo (but it's usually a Palm Device/Pilot) then the registry is probably ok.

I'd suggest reviewing your firewall settings to see if HotSync is allowed.

But if you really want to tackle the registry: Make a backup of it. Then using some sort of registry editor delete all keys that have "Palm" and your Palm User name referenced. Do this after you have deleted the program, and all folders that remain (with the exception of the SR/Usernamed folder) that contain just your data. You'll have to delete all of the support files etc manually after you've unistalled.

But I caution - since it appears that the device manager is recognizing your Treo - this should be a last resort after checking the firewall settings and other items described in this and the other threads.

I also recommend that before you tweak the registry - you delete items from the device itself. Also make certain that your hotsync settings show only that Local USB is checked for hotsync and not all of the other variables.

If your running it from a laptop plugged into a docking station, change to a direct USB port as some USB docking station ports are underpowered to fully initiate hotsync.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    I don't think I said that I have only had my 650 for about 2 weeks. Couldn't be a problem with the equipment, it is too new. So, I tried all of your suggestions and still nothing. I did not mess with the registry, however. Today, I borrowed my son's bluetooth adapter and set it up on my computer. Guess what? I can sync through that. So, I am supposing that it is my sync cable. I don't know what the connectors are supposed to look like but I have only 5 "pins" sticking out and four of them do not stick out as far as the fifth. So, possibly they are not making a proper connection. I will try to compare mine to someone else's and possibly borrow one to see if it will work for me to prove that it is my cable and keep you posted.

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions. I really appreciate finding a site where I felt I could ask these "dumb" questions and come away with friendly help.