1.    #1  
    I'd like to make more use of the side keys on my Treo 650. Ideally, I'd like to use the volume keys to scroll up/down a page of information (regardless of where the blue focus ring is) and the side button to switch to the previous application (so I can, for example, toggle between two apps by repeatedly pressing the side button). I can't stand the side-button delay thing, either.

My searches have only turned up:
    1. VolumeRocker, which appears to do exactly what the 5-way navigator does (only worse; a single press registers as two clicks, ie press-in & release, so it's impossible to scroll one page)
    2. VolKeys, which is a step better than VolumeRocker but doesn't seem to work properly in the Tasks application (ie it acts just like the 5-way); a shame, because it's only really in the Tasks app that I want this functionality.

I can't find anything that alters the behaviour of the side button.

Any recommendations?

-zoara-
    Look at Butler. It doesn't change the side button (I don't think there is an app to do that; however, in the PalmOS Prefs Buttons section you can assign the side button to a particular app), but it enables the volume rocker to scroll, and has several other useful functions.
    Zane
    With Butler, the side volume rocker can either scroll OR go to the next/previous application.

You can use the side button to TOGGLE the operating mode of the rocker.

This is almost as good as what you asked for.

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wernst
    ...You can use the side button to TOGGLE the operating mode of the rocker...-Warr
    How do you do this? I looked around but didn't find a setting for this.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by wernst
    With Butler, the side volume rocker can either scroll OR go to the next/previous application.

You can use the side button to TOGGLE the operating mode of the rocker.

This is almost as good as what you asked for.

-Warr
    Heh, typical. I've already bought and registered Butler (think it was on the first day I had my Treo) for a couple of bits that I can't remember but now seem like 'normal functioning' for my Treo. Never thought to check whether I'd already actually paid for something that did what I wanted!

However, as I seem determined to never be satisfied, I do have two gripes.

One is that the volume control as scroller has the same deficiencies as I mentioned in my first post; it just acts like the up and down buttons on the 5-way. I want something that scrolls the view up and down regardless of where the focus ring is. After playing, it looks like VolKeys does this - compare 5-way up/down (shift focus) to volume up/down (scroll content) in apps like Messaging. It is let down because it just acts like the 5-way in apps like Tasks, but I think that's a flaw in Tasks itself (which doesn't seem as focus-ring aware as other apps). Annoying, because Tasks is the one app I find myself reaching for the stylus (or using a fingernail) because I've become 'trapped' and can't easily scroll up/down a page - it's the main reason I'm after a page-scroller!

Two is that although the next/previous app function works as advertised, it's not really what I want. I want to flip between two apps and two apps only; with a choice of flipping 'forwards' and flipping 'backwards', I'll inevitably flip in the wrong direction (because I'm crap), so I end up doing down(oops)-up-up. By that point I may as well have held down the shortcut key for that app (hey, that's what I registered Butler for!) and gone straight there after a short pause. A 'toggle' between 'this app' and 'previous app' - without a dreaded pause - would be a thing of beauty for me, and it would make use of the side button which otherwise has (quite literally) no use whatsoever for me otherwise.

I very much appreciate your and zvandiver's feedback though. It seems odd that the only function of that side button (even with third-party apps) is to invoke an app through press-and-hold (covered by Butler's "use shortcuts everywhere" function) or to confirm a volume change (why not just accept it without a 'confirmation'?).

Oh, and did you mean that option and volume-down toggled between behaviours? I can't see how to get the side button to do it.

-zoara-